Training Pre-Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw this. First I'd heard about it

He’d deadset still declare himself good to go even without eye balls, he is seriously going to need Cybernetic eye implants soon

tenor.gif

I'm no Fred Hollows, but there has to be serious question marks on him going on this year.

The club are reporting he had symptoms following training this week. Surely he'll be at risk even further when matches actually start.
If Rory doesn't do it himself (I doubt he will), then the club needs to step in and tell him he's done. Time to retire.

His body is cooked enough, but to risk your sight? It would be neglectful of us to let him continue.

We need to suck it up. accept it was an awful decision to sign him, and move on. We have to protect him from himself.

If Rory doesn't do it himself (I doubt he will), then the club needs to step in and tell him he's done. Time to retire.

His body is cooked enough, but to risk your sight? It would be neglectful of us to let him continue.

We need to suck it up. accept it was an awful decision to sign him, and move on. We have to protect him from himself.
I agree.

But we don't have the best track record of doing this.

So I'm not confident he doesn't play 23 games (it's 23 this season isn't it)

Last edited:
'' Sadly the Adelaide Football Club have announced the immediate retirement of one of our club greats and favourite son , father and person.

And in other news Matthew Nicks has extended for 3 more years''

*obvious fake - Tom Morris dont tweet this out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his wife and family need to step in and demand that he puts family, fatherhood and quality of life first

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also, would love them to scrap the sub, 5th on the bench or whatever is a far better result.

Hate seeing young players get roped into that role and making it far more difficult to earn their spot.
McHenry will be happier...

Wouldn't the goggles Cox wears help with any risk/concern of an eye poke unless it's not the poke that's the issue?
Pretty sure Cox’s was more an issue with his retina getting repeatedly scratched not detaching, a detached retina is much more severe. The glasses might’ve prevented the original incident Sloane had that caused his first detached retina but now the big worry for him specifically this time around is according to this report from last night on 7NEWS it wasn’t from any actual physical incident it was a normal training session and he only noticed later on when he was already back home. According to the optometrist that channel 9 brought out to amplify its dramatic coverage of this it’s very common once the retina has detached prior that it will detach again.

I know it’s a very serious problem for Rory but I can’t believe it was lead news story worthy on the 2 main news broadcasts.

Pretty sure Cox’s was more an issue with his retina getting repeatedly scratched not detaching, a detached retina is much more severe. The glasses might’ve prevented the original incident Sloane had that caused his first detached retina but now the big worry for him specifically this time around is according to this report from last night on 7NEWS it wasn’t from any actual physical incident it was a normal training session and he only noticed later on when he was already back home. According to the optometrist that channel 9 brought out to amplify its dramatic coverage of this it’s very common once the retina has detached prior that it will detach again.
"Mason was accidentally poked in the eye by former Gold Coast Suns Ruckman Peter Wright in 2019, causing a torn retina in both eyes.
Since 2019, he has undergone six bouts of surgery – three on his left eye, two on the right, and cataract surgery.
Speaking on KIIS 101.1's Jase & Lauren, Mason opened up on the traumatic eye injury.
"I won't get into the details too much but essentially half my eye was pulled off, half my retina fell off and I had to go into hospital, sew the thing back up, and was blind," he said."

"Mason was accidentally poked in the eye by former Gold Coast Suns Ruckman Peter Wright in 2019, causing a torn retina in both eyes.
Since 2019, he has undergone six bouts of surgery – three on his left eye, two on the right, and cataract surgery.
Speaking on KIIS 101.1's Jase & Lauren, Mason opened up on the traumatic eye injury.
"I won't get into the details too much but essentially half my eye was pulled off, half my retina fell off and I had to go into hospital, sew the thing back up, and was blind," he said."
Yes as I said Cox’s issues were from multiple scratches/pokes to his retina that tore his retina. Torn retina’s are different to detached retina’s, from Doctor Google; “Retinal detachment refers to the full lack of attachment of the retinal tissue along the back of the eye. This is more severe than retinal tears”.

Fingers crossed we get another supplementary player and Rory can be inspirational and talk to fan's pets and children on the sidelines this season.

I know it’s a very serious problem for Rory but I can’t believe it was lead news story worthy on the 2 main news broadcasts.

Does anyone know how serious this is? Can it lead to permanent eye damage if it keeps happening?

I think he needs to retire for his own safety. You only get one set of eyes and he doesn't want to risk permanent injury to try and play a few more games this year. I hope the club and his family are having serious conversations with him about his playing future.

Does anyone know how serious this is? Can it lead to permanent eye damage if it keeps happening?

I think he needs to retire for his own safety. You only get one set of eyes and he doesn't want to risk permanent injury to try and play a few more games this year. I hope the club and his family are having serious conversations with him about his playing future.
Like...of course it would?

I guess it's up to the Dr to cite a study (if there is one) to help convince him.
One of these:

If you keep going blind in one eye because the retina, or part of it, keeps detaching from your eyeball and floating around in your eye, then that's not what anyone would all good. If your vision isn't totally black in the eye, whatever you see would be useless.

Here are diagrams of it:
Retinal-detachment.jpg

retinal-detachment.jpg

Like...of course it would?

I guess it's up to the Dr to cite a study (if there is one) to help convince him.
One of these:

If you keep going blind in one eye because the retina, or part of it, keeps detaching from your eyeball and floating around in your eye, then that's not what anyone would all good. If your vision isn't totally black in the eye, whatever you see would be useless.

Here are diagrams of it:
Retinal-detachment.jpg

retinal-detachment.jpg
So, Seedsman has made good use of his spare time by becoming a Dr and studying his own concussion. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre-Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back