Pre-season training. Bring it on! - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There is still shitloads of downtime, much more than most jobs.
In which they aren't allowed to perform a lot of tasks due to injury risk, media exposure etc. Not to mention they have a strict diet to follow as well as their own excercise program to adhere to.

If it was easy, than talented shit bags like Cupido would be staring.

I can't believe anyone would suggest that footballers have it easy, with lots of downtime, in this era of modern, professional Aussie Rules footy. It's a damn demanding job, and the only downtime they get is whatever is absolutely necessary to ensure they don't work themselves into a puddle.

Other than the one month off, of course. In which they're still expected to at the very least maintain their fitness.

I don't think Tippett was trying to indicate that was a 'standard' day. It's obviously above his average workload, but I'd wager not that far above it.

Is he on a diet or something?
Smoothie for breakfast and egg salad for lunch?
WTF? He must be burning 4000+ kcals a day with all that exercise - you'd think a big boy like him would eat more.

Is he on a diet or something?
Smoothie for breakfast and egg salad for lunch?
WTF? He must be burning 4000+ kcals a day with all that exercise - you'd think a big boy like him would eat more.

I'd wager the smoothie would be pretty heavily packed with calories and other nutrients and it wouldn't surprise if he were to have 5-6 eggs for lunch. I'd suggest there'd be a few protein shakes and gatorades thrown in as well that aren't mentioned.

I'd wager the smoothie would be pretty heavily packed with calories and other nutrients and it wouldn't surprise if he were to have 5-6 eggs for lunch. I'd suggest there'd be a few protein shakes and gatorades thrown in as well that aren't mentioned.

Ha, thats just my entree on Tuesdays(fasting day). No wonder he is only a slip of a lad, at 202kgs. :eek:

I didn't say that.

Kurt's in the top 1% of earners in the country though, in any profession. Busy or not, he's got it good. Real good.

On the other hand, the rookie listed players.......

You said there was shitloads of downtime, more than most jobs. I suspect his workload is at the very least comparable to most jobs.

I reckon he has infinitely more downtime than anyone else in the country on his salary, or even a third of his salary.

And that's what I'm disagreeing with. Yes, he has "downtime" but it's only downtime in the sense that they can't force him to train 24 hours a day with him breaking down. As much as they can make him train and work, they do, and when he's not out there running, or pumping iron, or practising ball skills, he's eating carefully prepared diets, resting his tired body and trying to avoid speaking too loud in public to avoid the back page.

I think you're selling the amount of time professional AFL players spend on their work extremely short.

What is his salary, incidentally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's what I'm disagreeing with. Yes, he has "downtime" but it's only downtime in the sense that they can't force him to train 24 hours a day with him breaking down. As much as they can make him train and work, they do, and when he's not out there running, or pumping iron, or practising ball skills, he's eating carefully prepared diets, resting his tired body and trying to avoid speaking too loud in public to avoid the back page.

I think you're selling the amount of time professional AFL players spend on their work extremely short.

What is his salary, incidentally?

Intersting debate. I was always one who thought geez what an easy life..and you get paid. But thinking it through more all professional athletes have an incredibly stressful lifestyle and must really have their head together to succeed.

Imagine if you can rolling up to work knowing you are fighting for your job every week with probably half a dozen other guys and constantly having to find that edge in your performance to keep them out. On top of that you need to stay ahead in an environment where a load of other people spend hours trawling through video tape to find your weaknesses and exploit them. So you need to keep ahead of them, find ways to improve, or lose your job to the guy you know is breathing down your neck. There's your downtime gone.

If thats not enough your work place is public property watched by hundreds of thousands of people. Your every movement is analysed to dust. People tend to forget that stress is subjective...we cant measure it by our own standards. I think we apply our own experience that you train a couple of days a week and play footy....great fun. Its not Saturday fun anymore, its a job and I can only imagine the degree of stress such a job would bring.

Sure they are paid well but if you broke it down to an hourly rate and workd out how many hours they put in, it wouldnt be that astronomical......Im talking AFL not ridicuous soccer salaries etc

I reckon he has infinitely more downtime than anyone else in the country on his salary, or even a third of his salary.

Let me tell you Pete, the guys carrying the bricks do more work than the CEO who owns the bulding company in most cases.
Im in the car industry, when the CEO is away, it is generally business as usual. When the lad who washes cars for me is away, my work turns into kaos.

plus they work weekends, have to travel interstate every second week, face the prospect of serious injury every week and long term reduced health outcomes (knee, shoulder, back, ankle arthritis etc) and in many cases, can't even choose their employer or the state they live and work in!

it's not all beer and skittles (even for Bernie :))

People always whinge about how much sports people are paid and the 'easy' lifestyle. Footballers, golfers, tennis players...

The money/lifestyle is there for anyone who wants it.
Not really, if you don't have the genetic potential it doesn't matter how hard you work, you won't be an elite athlete. Having said that I don't think elite athletes have an easy life.

Not really, if you don't have the genetic potential it doesn't matter how hard you work, you won't be an elite athlete. Having said that I don't think elite athletes have an easy life.
Golf??

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season training. Bring it on! - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back