Pre-season training. Bring it on! - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah something I'd be interested in hearing about that as well. I think Van Berlo really stood up once Bickley gave him a chance as a full time midfielder last year and it's where I hope we see him playing full time again this year. With how much he can run all day he really shouldn't struggle to find plenty of the ball, would love to see him average 26+ disposals a game next year which I really don't think should be beyond him.

Just interested.

Exactly where did vB play the first 10 games?

I believe he was a fulltime midfielder for the first half of the season and was then moved to the HBF.

He was then moved back into the midfield later in the season under Bicks. Reilly initially was the closest we had to a tagger (not all that close according to G. Ablett).

Just interested.

Exactly where did vB play the first 10 games?
I can't say I remember a great deal that far back but I seem to remember him in the midfield and also in the backline. Maybe his role in the midfield changed a bit when Bickley took over as he looked like a far different player who was willing to attack the play a lot. Maybe he did it all season but it was much more evident in the final 6 games when we were actually winning...

I can't say I remember a great deal that far back but I seem to remember him in the midfield and also in the backline. Maybe his role in the midfield changed a bit when Bickley took over as he looked like a far different player who was willing to attack the play a lot. Maybe he did it all season but it was much more evident in the final 6 games when we were actually winning...

Or maybe it was more obvious when we played the bottom three teams. He did get plenty of the ball in the last match against the Eagles but I seem to recall we lost the midfield that day given the 95 point thrashing.

P.S. How did we go at home against the 14th placed Richmond?

You should audition for AFL Superstar.
This was done on an athletics track though, which is a lot easier to post faster times on than grass. And if I had any actual footy skills I might... haha. (and I would struggle to crack 6min for 1500m atm, I'm enjoying myself a bit more..)

As indicated above I got along today for most the session.

Boys started up with warmups and then running around in grouips for a set time period. They were all over the place, lapping MBR, the stadium, the area close to the cafe, running up the guts. Noticed a person in each group had a stopwatch and was counting it down and making sure the boys put in til the end of the time limit.

The drills today were again very contested footy focussed - but seemed to have some that were more designed to fit with the intended gamestyle. Had a very geelongesque feel to some of them...

Did the handball, keepies off in a confinded space, drill. Today each group doing the drill had 6 with the ball and 3 defenders. Focus was again on quick ball movement by hands with the defenders applying as much pressure as possible and working as hard as possible for the timeframe.

Next they moved onto end to end ball movement drills with a focus on crumbing in the backline, moving the ball quickly to the wing, the wing player running hard and kicking long to a marking target. Marking target was typically a coach (Doc clarke was the one closest to me) who brought the ball to ground in front where a pair of players who had started at wing/hf had sprinted to be front and square.. they contested the crumb with the player who won the footy taking a snap on goal. I really enjoyed this drill as I feel its an element we didn't see regularly in our gameplan. Some of the kicks from the wing into the forwardline were a little.. unclean and helicopter punts were seen more than ideal.. but the hard work on the crumb will stand us in good stead I think for the season. The drill was done both sides of the ground with the players working through the stations (bp to kick to wing, hb to run to wing as target, hf to provide the crumbers then across to the bp)

The next drill was reasonably similar except it was with opposition.
Contest at wing/hb with 6 on 6. Ball started in the direction of the team intended to go forward, but often on the ground or with odd bounces etc to create some variability. Work the ball free by hands and spread. Delivery from wing or centre of ground to 2 on 2 in the forward line with runners forward from the original contest providing other options. Each end had quite deliberate forward pairings. Smack/Porps one end, Tips/Pup the other. Porps was moving very well and his ability to get free on a lead is very classy given his lack of genuine burst speed. The boys took their time to have their shots on goal from this drill. At one point I managed to listen in on Sando 'coaching' at a stoppage in the drill. He indicated that it was okay, at times, to hit up other targets leading out to the flanks than the 'double threat' or 'two targets' or something like that (was hazy exact words at time and its gotten worse with memory). Seemed to strongly indicate a desire to play a forward line with two targets, a small and tall. Be interesting to see if Pup's confidence gaining season last year in multiple positions will stand him in good stead to play a role forward again this season (given his lack of impact in the role in 2010). He looks in good nick does Pup. Moving very well and whilst not as dangerous as porps his leads were reasonably well timed and some confident, strong marks taken. The drill evolved over time to have the players move around the roles a bit by moving from station to station. I really enjoyed focus on hitting contested marking opportunities in the forwardline and having runners hard to the contest (or space) providing other options. Suits my desire for our gamestyle alot more than the running back with the flight marking drills we did last year. Speaks to attempting to play efficient contested footy rather than trying to create the opportunities for space and the 'perfect' forward entry. Get it in quick and long to a contest and focus on getting numbers to it!

Boys had a drinks break, other side of oval from my leering wife who was quite disappointed as many stripped down to put ice vests on. After the break back into some handball drills and this time more a focus on tackling. The far side (I was west lakes boulevard side today) they were doing the, lie on ground - jump up and tackle someone with a bag, drill. The other groups were doing a reasonably intense mini game focussing on tackling execution. 5 on 5 with a coach giving to one team who had to clear the ball with handball to the other side of the drill whilst the defending side were egged on to tackle hard. One of the groups was a little lacklustre (campo/doc overseeing it and gave them a few rev ups.... coulda gone harder tbh ;) ). The other 2 groups doing the drill, which to be fair had more of the senior players, were going hammer and tongs, a few heads nearly ripped off as well which was good to see.

After this drill they were into the 15 on 15 mini-game again. I left not long after this started but the ball movement patterns and contested footy focus shows through in the mini-games too which is pleasing.

Paid a little more attention today to some of the new boys.
Lewis Johnstone moves quite well for a bigger guy. He's around Tex's height but not quite as big as Tex (not much in it though - less than 5kgs probably). And his ball use is very very good. Creative with hands and precision with foot. He switched lay from the bp at one point and hit a player who barely had 2m on 2 different opponents. I really think they're looking to play him across HBF as the third tall option and use his leg to get them out of defense.

Sam Kerridge runs hard and strong. Pushed himself all day and was really sucking it in coming off the mini-game. Decent size.. kicking needs a bit of work. Couple of helicopter punts off the wing in the earlier drills.

Mitch Grigg, lovely leg (both sides) on him. Didn't notice any issues with pace but they weren't really doing drills that expose this. Was working quite hard throughout the session - though to be fair there were not many who weren't.

Had a chance to have a chat with one of the trainers/support staff. He's an older bloke who looked familiar but couldnt remember who it was for the life of me. Anyway - got an update on the injury situation. Most the boys are travelling really well and he feels they are putting alot of work into them at the moment and they are taking it really well. Said Otto would probably be a matter of weeks.

Oh - Luke THompson was back in the main training drills today. I saw Will Young early running around but don't recall seeing him in the drills - not to say he wasn't though. He definitely started the day with the main group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great report. Please keep'em coming.

One request though. Can someone keep an eye on D-Mac for me. Am really interested to see how he's coming along. Is he having any issues with all the contested footy drills and has he bulked up much?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks guys for the reports. I'm in Melbourne at the moment. I haven't pumped into Neil Craig yet!. I just logged on and saw about Otten. I think my heart was in mouth for second.

Cheers Bigfella on doing the write up - I had a disasterous day as I was running a little late and once I was ready to round up the troops for the drive to West Lakes discovered I had no car keys - the ensuing search took over an hour until the second youngest dobbed in the youngest who had hidden them in a shoe!
So we arrived only to see the last couple of activities and I was hot and bothered!
Perhaps it was my mood but I did notice during the 15 man on man that Tex was going the full niggle on one opposition who I couldn't recognise {geez they need names on their tops!!!} then he followed it up later on Jaensch and it carried on for some time, with some decent push and shove - mind you there was no retaliation.
Geez compared to last year at this time or even at the end of the season the majority of the boys look a lot more solid - for example Tambling is a ball of muscle who has no neck! Also some of the tackles during the tackling exercise were full on and brought some ooohhs from my eldest boys - it was fair dinkum and seemed a level above the intensity of last year! Mind you I only saw one training on both occasions - very keen to see how this all plays out!

Ps Big fella were you carrying a Cadbury bag?

was it purple mate? did i have two young girls running around me? then if so was probably me. I don't know the bag as the 'cadbury bag' but its just the purple 'kids food/snack/drink' bag.

Tex was full on giving it to jaenschy and his direct opponent at the time (johnstone?) He does that alot at training :p 2 years back he was on the receiving (with a few gives) end from goody's elbows.. maybe he sees it as a leadership quality ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season training. Bring it on! - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back