Training Pre Season - Who's deadset training the house down 2024 style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A defender who averages 14 posesion a game, he needs to be shutting his opponent done like nick smth. He is not even worthy to be in the same change room as Nick smith. Top 10 of the skilton medal seems a outlier. He has a place in the afl, just not with a team looking to be a threat. P.s you don't need to agree with me.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
You're right, I don't. If Harry loses form or if Horse decides to change structure he'll be dropped but otherwise he'll continue to get picked unless someone shows they can do the job better.
BTW lockdown defenders aren't usually big possession getters. 2023 averages:
Cunningham 13.3
McCartin 12.6
Harris Andrews 14.2
Nathan Murphy 9.7
Tom Barrass 12.9
Not a bad crop there.

You're right, I don't. If Harry loses form or if Horse decides to change structure he'll be dropped but otherwise he'll continue to get picked unless someone shows they can do the job better.
BTW lockdown defenders aren't usually big possession getters. 2023 averages:
Cunningham 13.3
McCartin 12.6
Harris Andrews 14.2
Nathan Murphy 9.7
Tom Barrass 12.9
Not a bad crop there.

Good stats but please compare Cunningham to players who play the same role. Cunningham is not a key defender. The players you Lister are a good crop cause they are key players in their teams. Surprised you didn't list May, leaver, Howe, doadee, witering, ridley and Stewart

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

FWIW I've heard that Roberts is so highly-rated at the club that him playing at half back is not a long-term thing but just a pathway to get him into the team as early as possible, a la Mills' starting in defence, Heeney starting forward, Campbell starting in defence, etc. They ultimately see him in the midfield.

Whatever it is they see, I hope we see it this year, because it's lost on me at this stage (not that there's anything wrong with that - he's only young and has barely had a chance.)

Generally with horses we go male or female (or mare, gelding/stallion). People don't often call horses men or women :p
Exceptions might be Mr Ed (the talking horse), referred to as a gentleman horse. Similar conventions apply to a girl hippo performing ballet in a tutu or dogs drinking, smoking and playing cards in a bar, known as Blokes, or Bloke dogs.

Note: A bloke dogs is not the same as a guy dog. The latter wears a harness. What? Kinky? No, guy dogs help blind people to navigate outdoors, like in the classic joke : "Have you seen my guy dog?" "No" "Neither have I" (boom,boom)

Last edited:
FWIW I've heard that Roberts is so highly-rated at the club that him playing at half back is not a long-term thing but just a pathway to get him into the team as early as possible, a la Mills' starting in defence, Heeney starting forward, Campbell starting in defence, etc. They ultimately see him in the midfield.

Whatever it is they see, I hope we see it this year, because it's lost on me at this stage (not that there's anything wrong with that - he's only young and has barely had a chance.)
Ditto

A 30 year old defender who averages 14 possions a game, when will henhave his breakout? he needs to be shutting his opponent down like nick smth did. He is not even worthy to be in the same change room as Nick Smith. Top 10 of the skilton medal seems a outlier. He has a place in the afl, just not with a team looking to be a threat. P.s you don't need to agree with me.

If Cunningham is playing a majority of games in 2024 we are not serious about a flag.
I can't say I agree with you friend, but we are all entitled to our opinions and having differing views is what makes places like this interesting!

Summary (ranking) of the HSun player ratings:

1. Errol Gulden
2. Nick Blakey
3. Chad Warner
4. Brodie Grundy
5. Tom Papley
6. Luke Parker
7. Tom McCartin
8. James Rowbottom
9. Taylor Adams
10. Ollie Florent
11. Isaac Heeney
12. Jake Lloyd
13. Logan McDonald
14. Dane Rampe
15. Braeden Campbell
16. James Jordon
17. Hayden McLean
18. Will Hayward
19. Justin McInerney
20. Callum Mills
21. Harry Cunningham
22. Joel Amartey
23. Robbie Fox
24. Harry Arnold
25. Sam Wicks
26. Lewis Melican
27. Joel Hamling
28. Peter Ladhams
29. Jack Buller
30. Angus Sheldrick
31. Lachlan McAndrew
32. Aaron Francis
33. Will Green
34. Sam Reid
35. Matthew Roberts
36. Caiden Cleary
37. Corey Warner
38. Jacob Konstanty
39. Cooper Vickery
40. Patrick Snell
41. Caleb Mitchell
42. Will Edwards
43. Jaiden Magor
44. Indhi Kirk

Full article: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/ab20a9d61ecf94bb92fdb88ec9652527
There’s more holes in this than a Swiss cheese conference.

A 30 year old defender who averages 14 possions a game, when will henhave his breakout? he needs to be shutting his opponent down like nick smth did. He is not even worthy to be in the same change room as Nick Smith. Top 10 of the skilton medal seems a outlier. He has a place in the afl, just not with a team looking to be a threat. P.s you don't need to agree with me.

If Cunningham is playing a majority of games in 2024 we are not serious about a flag.

We need another Cunningham, so we don't only have one good small defender.

Not to get rid of the one we have.

Put Wicks in the BP. Plenty of forwards, Konstanty should get games this year. Wicks might give the odd one away, but he would put the fear of god into most forwards (big or small lol) with his attack onthe ball. Would like to see Buller trialled back in the 2's, in case Edwards never comes on

Put Wicks in the BP. Plenty of forwards, Konstanty should get games this year. Wicks might give the odd one away, but he would put the fear of god into most forwards (big or small lol) with his attack onthe ball. Would like to see Buller trialled back in the 2's, in case Edwards never comes on

What has Konstanty done or shown to be rated above wicks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't say I agree with you friend, but we are all entitled to our opinions and having differing views is what makes places like this interesting!

Harry was one of the great stories last year. Was overlooked for most of 2022, came back last year and played every game. Given our terrible injury run thank god we had him.

Generally with horses we go male or female (or mare, gelding/stallion). People don't often call horses men or women :p
Actually a girl horse is a filly & over the age of 4 they become a mare. That means a woman horse is a mare because a filly becomes an adult at 4.

Boy horses stallions start out as Colts/boys in human terms & become stallions when they cum of age, men in human equivalent.

But it was not meant to be taken seriously. I was bored

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Small defenders are like an IT department - you only really notice them when something goes wrong.

If harry is keeping the oppo small forward quiet he's done his job, regardless of his disposal numbers. We have many others to rebound/attack with from that part of the ground

Small defenders are like an IT department - you only really notice them when something goes wrong.

If harry is keeping the oppo small forward quiet he's done his job, regardless of his disposal numbers. We have many others to rebound/attack with from that part of the ground
Yeah this is why I don't understand why people care about lock down defenders possession numbers. I don't want McCartin having 20 touches. It means the ball is in our D50 too much. Give him 4 touches and his opponent 0 goals any day

Most good teams now have 3+ good small/medium forwards. Sometimes 4 or 5 all rotating through the forward half of the ground.

Cunningham isn't our issue.

Our issue is that he can't cover them all by himself.

Finding one more really solid small/medium defender would make a huge difference to us. Maybe Roberts can surprise. I've posted a few times about Corey Warner potentially having a future in that part of the ground.

You assume horse sees florent aa capable of doing that by the opportunity and roles he gets (I'm not convinced). Fox was actually good as it.

We have a lot of attacking weapons to fit in, but it'll be interesting to see who gets picked for these defensive roles

After reading about some of the opinions on different players I thought I would go through a few.
Warner.. was so excited by his first couple of seasons..have tempered them a little from last season. The main reason, as I don't see him being quite the dangerfield .petracca degoey types. Size and power.Can be tagged more easily. Still a gun and I hope he's a Swan for his whole career.

McLean... He's always looked like he had the smarts, strength and determination...but I thought he was too immobile and clunky.
As the season went on last season my mind has changed and I think he could be a key cog over the next few years.
Taylor and Grundy.. great additions. High hopes.
Heeney.. Got all the tools. Maybe just lacks the explosive speed to play the degoey style. Doesn't get enough credit for how hard he is and the effort he puts in. Injury luck and I reckon his best season to come.
McDonald.. on the right track.. not sure what he'll end up being but I think he is going to have a great career.
Cunningham I thought was done, and I always had reservations but he's proved me wrong too. Main frustration is he seems to have no turning circle or agility for direction change at times for a player his size.
Rowbottom..underrated.. love players that give maximum effort and then some.. I think his output will still improve
Hayward..same.. underrated.. gives maximum effort and plays that hard position.. having said that ..hopefully adds some more strings to his bow
Francis.. still not sure. Seems not mobile enough for his size. Hope he proves me wrong
Papley.. Elite.. hopefully has a good season
Sheldrick.. For a short period of games I had alot of confidence he could win contests and clearances. Geelong game comes to mind.. Think he'll have a great career
Florent..underrated.. small medium back. I think he'll improve still after more experience down back.
Mills.. hopefully comes back strong
Wicks.. underrated.. maximum effort.. just needs to know where the line is so not to give away too many free kicks..and goal kicking improvement.
Campbell. Improving.. might still be a slow burn to see his best I feel. Hope it all clicks sooner though
Jordan..was excited ...but the more I read the less confident I am..
Konstanty.. haven't seen any.. hopes not as high as at first. For no reason other than others opinions and no hype coming out from coaches etc
Ladhams.. lots of fluctuations in how I see him but stats on players profiles pretty good..hard to know with Grundy arrival.
Reid.. was so good in 22.. be huge if he got back to that. Great effort whenever on ground .. which I think again Is underrated

After reading about some of the opinions on different players I thought I would go through a few.
Warner.. was so excited by his first couple of seasons..have tempered them a little from last season. The main reason, as I don't see him being quite the dangerfield .petracca degoey types. Size and power.Can be tagged more easily. Still a gun and I hope he's a Swan for his whole career.

McLean... He's always looked like he had the smarts, strength and determination...but I thought he was too immobile and clunky.
As the season went on last season my mind has changed and I think he could be a key cog over the next few years.
Taylor and Grundy.. great additions. High hopes.
Heeney.. Got all the tools. Maybe just lacks the explosive speed to play the degoey style. Doesn't get enough credit for how hard he is and the effort he puts in. Injury luck and I reckon his best season to come.
McDonald.. on the right track.. not sure what he'll end up being but I think he is going to have a great career.
Cunningham I thought was done, and I always had reservations but he's proved me wrong too. Main frustration is he seems to have no turning circle or agility for direction change at times for a player his size.
Rowbottom..underrated.. love players that give maximum effort and then some.. I think his output will still improve
Hayward..same.. underrated.. gives maximum effort and plays that hard position.. having said that ..hopefully adds some more strings to his bow
Francis.. still not sure. Seems not mobile enough for his size. Hope he proves me wrong
Papley.. Elite.. hopefully has a good season
Sheldrick.. For a short period of games I had alot of confidence he could win contests and clearances. Geelong game comes to mind.. Think he'll have a great career
Florent..underrated.. small medium back. I think he'll improve still after more experience down back.
Mills.. hopefully comes back strong
Wicks.. underrated.. maximum effort.. just needs to know where the line is so not to give away too many free kicks..and goal kicking improvement.
Campbell. Improving.. might still be a slow burn to see his best I feel. Hope it all clicks sooner though
Jordan..was excited ...but the more I read the less confident I am..
Konstanty.. haven't seen any.. hopes not as high as at first. For no reason other than others opinions and no hype coming out from coaches etc
Ladhams.. lots of fluctuations in how I see him but stats on players profiles pretty good..hard to know with Grundy arrival.
Reid.. was so good in 22.. be huge if he got back to that. Great effort whenever on ground .. which I think again Is underrated

You assume horse sees florent aa capable of doing that by the opportunity and roles he gets (I'm not convinced). Fox was actually good as it.

We have a lot of attacking weapons to fit in, but it'll be interesting to see who gets picked for these defensive roles
The forward & mids seem pretty set to me and I agree, the most interesting selection for Round 0 is going to be the backline and interchange.

I'm going big on McLean this year, I was on the bandwagon last year but now its full steam ahead.

Is Fox playing in the forwards to cover the Hayward role? I've read hayward is being managed with shin issues, not sure if he's recovered yet.

I can see us only having one genuine KPD against smaller sized/mobile opposition forward lines. An inform Rampe & Blakey gives us that luxury imo. It'll be interesting times with team selection & strategy. Our board will blow up at selections a few times this year 😂

All this upbeat talk about Ladhams from pre-season training, I've bought a ticket on his rollercoaster. Hopefully it's going up & not down. Feel like Mclean & McDonald are locks, so it's him v Amartey for the 3rd tall. He would also give us genuine ruck relief.

Trials start next week!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back