Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that we had a mountain of cap space to go after Kelly and co and we're probably front-loading the crap out of contracts again (meaning we could have even more at the end of this year), I imagine we'd have more than enough cap space to get Sloane and then pay everyone on our list that we need to going forward, so it's a big yes from me.

We've already got the likes of Billings, Paddy and Acres tied up for a while now, so I don't see it being an issue at all.

I'd think hard about getting him if we had to give up a really good pick or two for him tho.

If Sloane leaves and he wants to come to us we take him. End of story. It's so hard to a) prise big name players from their clubs and b) actually get them to come to us as we're not one of the big clubs - we need to sell them where we're going and with results.

I'm hoping we get Sloane as he will still give us at least 4 excellent years. He's only 27 isn't he?

By the time he is finished our 21 and 22 year olds will be 27/28 year olds which is perfect

Would cost more than a mil a year I reckon, especially if over only 3. In particular if we wanted to get him through FA without Adelaide matching.

Probably more like $1.25 x 3.

Could easily have 4-5 more top notch seasons in him tho, so I imagine it would take a 4 year deal, at at least $1.1mil PA.

Sloane
Steven
Ross
Dunstan
Steele
Acres
Stevens
Armitage
Gresham
Clark
Coffield
Freeman

There's some midfield depth right there and then you've got the likes of Newnes and Sincs as further options on the wings!

The only issue with him for me is he's probably not exactly what we need. I'd rather an outside speed machine that will be around for at least 5 years. Money won't be an issue so we could pay someone a big front loaded contract.

What are you guys going on about gaffs a free agent this year! So all the talk of how much it will cost are just a lil irrelevant don’t ya think....

If Sloane leaves and he wants to come to us we take him. End of story. It's so hard to a) prise big name players from their clubs and b) actually get them to come to us as we're not one of the big clubs - we need to sell them where we're going and with results.

I'm hoping we get Sloane as he will still give us at least 4 excellent years. He's only 27 isn't he?

By the time he is finished our 21 and 22 year olds will be 27/28 year olds which is perfect

Sloan will be 28 in March. So 29 by the time he goes to another team and plays.
There is a risk associated with signing him to a long term contract.

Compare with Seb Ross getting 657 touches in 2017.

Garry Ablett. -- Age: vs Home and Away disposals for the season.
28YO 675
29YO 655
30YO 481
31YO 137
32YO 378
33YO 462
His contested ball winning hasn't been the same for around 4 years.

Judd wasn't so good after the age of 29.
We only got a good season every second year after Lenny Hayes turned 30.

Sloan had around 540 disposals ( home and away ) the last couple of seasons. His best .
We're quick to write off Armitage ( 28 YO ) after his 597 and 478 disposal seasons, and his bad season last year.

Sloan will be 28 in March. So 29 by the time he goes to another team and plays.
There is a risk associated with signing him to a long term contract.

Compare with Seb Ross getting 657 touches in 2017.

Garry Ablett. -- Age: vs Home and Away disposals for the season.
28YO 675
29YO 655
30YO 481
31YO 137
32YO 378
33YO 462
His contested ball winning hasn't been the same for around 4 years.

Judd wasn't so good after the age of 29.
We only got a good season every second year after Lenny Hayes turned 30.

Sloan had around 540 disposals ( home and away ) the last couple of seasons. His best .
We're quick to write off Armitage ( 28 YO ) after his 597 and 478 disposal seasons, and his bad season last year.
Must agree, I would pass on Sloane and just go with our up and coming players - I expect Steele will be better than Sloane this year , not to mention Ross , Acres , Billings , Gresham , Sinclair , Steven , Dunstan , Stevens , Armitage , Freeman , Newnes , Coffield , Clark , Phillips , Long , McKenzie - ok he is a great player but if he came into our team next year he would pinch time from our young guys like Coffield , Clark etc.
and really if Steven and Stevens stay injury free this year they will be better than him in my opinion- I expect our team to beat the Crows

Sloane / Steele
M.Crouch / Steven
B.Crouch / Ross
Gibbs / Sinclair
Laird / Billings
Taylor / Carlisle
Lynch / Roberton
Betts / Geary
Jacobs / Longer

and we still have players like Gresham , McCartin , Membery , Bruce , Webster , Acres , Dunstan , Stevens to cut teams to bits

He's restricted free agent.. Meaning West Coast can match any offer. Any club wanting him would most certainly have to trade.

Yeah but we have a large enough cap to front load it and if that dosent Work go to the draft.. why would you just give up a pick in a draft like next years makes no sence when plenty of good players have got to clubs who have been restricted

He's restricted free agent.. Meaning West Coast can match any offer. Any club wanting him would most certainly have to trade.
As long as we finish above West Coast this year then why would they force a trade to get our first rounder when they get get a better first rounder by letting him go?

I recon West Coast will be very average this year and will have to face up to a rebuild.. Letting gaff go to FA will be a step in that rebuild

Would cost more than a mil a year I reckon, especially if over only 3. In particular if we wanted to get him through FA without Adelaide matching.

Probably more like $1.25 x 3.

Could easily have 4-5 more top notch seasons in him tho, so I imagine it would take a 4 year deal, at at least $1.1mil PA.

Sloane
Steven
Ross
Dunstan
Steele
Acres
Stevens
Armitage
Gresham
Clark
Coffield
Freeman

There's some midfield depth right there and then you've got the likes of Newnes and Sincs as further options on the wings!
He's unrestricted i believe so if he wants to come to us there's nothing adelaide can do. Not giving up DP's is a big plus and if we have the cap space, why not? (would be even better if he wants to do a Dangerfield and takes a discount of $800k x 3 years)

I just prefer to wait til end of 2018. See how our guys go, I feel like its bit early to discuss this. And also I feel like Sloane and Gaff are more of wants than needs. Yes they are good players but are they really what we need? We find out at end of 2018! Stay tuned

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah but we have a large enough cap to front load it and if that dosent Work go to the draft.. why would you just give up a pick in a draft like next years makes no sence when plenty of good players have got to clubs who have been restricted
Happy to be corrected, but I thought that the “front-load to price-out” theory had long been debunked. Total cash over the life of the contract is what matters in any negotiation for a RFA?

Of course you would throw a million over 3 to sloane to finish his career at home. Would give us grunt and leadership at a time where our kids are getting to the start of their golden period. Could pinch a flag in 2019 if we develop quickly.

Sloane will fit in well with our midfield group.

I think it will also depend upon how Armitage, Stuv Seb and Other youngsters play this season. Based on that our coaching team will decide whether to go for Sloane Gaff or someone young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as we finish above West Coast this year then why would they force a trade to get our first rounder when they get get a better first rounder by letting him go?

I recon West Coast will be very average this year and will have to face up to a rebuild.. Letting gaff go to FA will be a step in that rebuild

Will all depend on what West Coast value him at to be honest.. They've been notoriously hard to deal with in the past so can't see that changing.

I just prefer to wait til end of 2018. See how our guys go, I feel like its bit early to discuss this. And also I feel like Sloane and Gaff are more of wants than needs. Yes they are good players but are they really what we need? We find out at end of 2018! Stay tuned

I think we’ll already be well into discussions with the management of whoever we are targeting for this year.

If the club are planning at this stage I don’t think it’s too early for us to discuss it.

I like Sloane and Hall myself. I think a heap of in/out mids suits our game more than purely outside types on the wing.

Exactly, 4 years and 4 premierships!!

Gaff is a seagull. Sloane v Gaff. Sloane every day of the week and twice on Sundays

Let’s face it - if we can get any of the free agents or OOC, you jump at it. It only happens once every now and then. We saw hard it was last year. No one could get Kelly, we had a serious attempt at Smith with no luck.. If you can get them and they improve us ( even if they’re not 100% ‘requirement’ ) you sign them.

Gaff is a seagull. Sloane v Gaff. Sloane every day of the week and twice on Sundays

It would annoy the shit out of me if i went to Seaford and Gaff was there trying to steal my hot chips and running round squawking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back