U19 Premier 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was thinknig more along the lines of the beaumoris beach down the gravel path off from beach road. Their petrol might not even get them there!!!!!
Do you mean Beaumaris beach? I was certainly hoping that extremely expensive education would of at least taught you how to spell? Your comment is extremely ridiculous and stupid, it looks as if it has been thought up by a five year old kid. Fortunately for you though, being a halfwit won't trouble you in life due to help from mummy and daddy.

no idea what everyone is arguing about, beaumaris as a suburb and a club is just as rich, the whole premier league is full of rich kids, thats what makes it so good $$$$$$

no idea what everyone is arguing about, beaumaris as a suburb and a club is just as rich, the whole premier league is full of rich kids, thats what makes it so good $$$$$$

You can have all the money you want but you can't buy cla$$

Xavs have one hand on the cup already.

can we get some talk up on the forum from you rooster24 and the muf been very quite the past week.

thoughts on the results for this week??

Sorry mate. When the forum was hijacked by clowns and their so-called ‘informed’ opinions on reports and tribunal results I started losing interest. When the same clowns started using multiple log in names to post crap about fictional off field matters and then make idle threats of retribution and civil action I just gave up completely. We then saw the board used a means to (incorrectly) comment on a clubs relative social and economic standing rather than their chances of winning a game of football. On that basis why would you bother?

When RFS, the MUF, Barney Gumble and some other informed and balanced posters start talking football I’m happy to get back and join the discussion.

Been monitoring this forum for a while now and thought it an appropriate time to weigh in:

RE: The 'king hit'.

The VAFA tribunal system has been a shambles for some time, and to set a precedent where a player can get more weeks for venting steam and swearing after missing a shot than endangering the life of another player is unacceptable. Reports from the tribunal are that a signed submission from the umpire adviser who witnessed the incident were ignored. Similar conduct at an AFL level (referring to the infamous Barry Hall punch) would net upwards of 6 weeks, and in the public spectrum would result in criminal charges. Two weeks is a ridiculous punishment. It should also be noted in this discussion that provocation is no longer a relevant defence. The tribunal system needs to take a serious look at how they are perceived within the league.

RE: Xav's and De La.

Hardly fair to boast about being the top of the table in the comp when it's not a level playing field. These are two sides with an unending supply of players being fed through two elite schools within Victoria. I'm not entirely sure what the process is, but it's hard to see schools with resources such as these not dishing out a few scholarships or luring elite players, with the obvious benefit being the flow on from the school program to the old-boys clubs. When compared to 'local' clubs such as Oakleigh, Beaumaris, St Bedes etc., who have to rely on players signing on either through proximity to the club or through word of mouth, there is obviously going to be a disparity in results. These clubs logically have rebuilding and dominant phases as their lists fluctuate. Private school teams have been, and for the foreseeable future will be, the dominant force in the VAFA simply due to the unending supply of players.

This is not me having a dig at either club, it's just a statement of the current situation.

RE: The future of the 19's comp.

Strong. Results this year (apart from the weekends blowouts), have been indicative that the gap is narrowing. Xav's and De La have been challenged severely on multiple occasions, often by sides much the junior in age and experience. It's been pleasing to see the number of sub-10 point games played out. Bernard's have been the first team in recent history to make a splash in their debut premier year, and sides like Beaumaris have been competitive, despite fielding what is effectively an U17/U18 side. Obviously the cup will be safe with the usual culprits in 2012, but in coming years I think we may see a shift as sides develop and adapt to the demands of the competition.

Think that's everything.
Discuss.

well the kid who got suspended for doing it, probably has the most talent in the whole comp he is leading the goal kicking easily and has missed multiple games and this week came back after his suspension with a 10 goal hall cant ask for a better return just let the kid play!

You can't avoid being punished just because you have talent.
I'm all for 'letting them play' but when the kid who was hit misses two weeks for being concussed (as is becoming standard as a precaution), the exact amount of time as his aggressor, it hardly seems fair.

It sends a message to other players, and sets a very dangerous precedent for the tribunal, that this kind of behavior will receive a slap on the wrist.

Sorry mate. When the forum was hijacked by clowns and their so-called ‘informed’ opinions on reports and tribunal results I started losing interest. When the same clowns started using multiple log in names to post crap about fictional off field matters and then make idle threats of retribution and civil action I just gave up completely. We then saw the board used a means to (incorrectly) comment on a clubs relative social and economic standing rather than their chances of winning a game of football. On that basis why would you bother?

When RFS, the MUF, Barney Gumble and some other informed and balanced posters start talking football I’m happy to get back and join the discussion.

Completely agree Rooster!

Think its safe to say the 4 is settled just a matter of who finishes 1st and 2nd.... will be interesting to see how Round 18 plays out with De La vs OX and St Bedes vs St Bernards! end of the day its just going to decide who wears the home shorts and who wears the away shorts!

Been monitoring this forum for a while now and thought it an appropriate time to weigh in:

The VAFA tribunal system has been a shambles for some time, and to set a precedent where a player can get more weeks for venting steam and swearing after missing a shot than endangering the life of another player is unacceptable. Reports from the tribunal are that a signed submission from the umpire adviser who witnessed the incident were ignored. Similar conduct at an AFL level (referring to the infamous Barry Hall punch) would net upwards of 6 weeks, and in the public spectrum would result in criminal charges. Two weeks is a ridiculous punishment. It should also be noted in this discussion that provocation is no longer a relevant defence. The tribunal system needs to take a serious look at how they are perceived within the league.

Hardly fair to boast about being the top of the table in the comp when it's not a level playing field. These are two sides with an unending supply of players being fed through two elite schools within Victoria. I'm not entirely sure what the process is, but it's hard to see schools with resources such as these not dishing out a few scholarships or luring elite players, with the obvious benefit being the flow on from the school program to the old-boys clubs. When compared to 'local' clubs such as Oakleigh, Beaumaris, St Bedes etc., who have to rely on players signing on either through proximity to the club or through word of mouth, there is obviously going to be a disparity in results. These clubs logically have rebuilding and dominant phases as their lists fluctuate. Private school teams have been, and for the foreseeable future will be, the dominant force in the VAFA simply due to the unending supply of players.

This is not me having a dig at either club, it's just a statement of the current situation.

Strong. Results this year (apart from the weekends blowouts), have been indicative that the gap is narrowing. Xav's and De La have been challenged severely on multiple occasions, often by sides much the junior in age and experience. It's been pleasing to see the number of sub-10 point games played out. Bernard's have been the first team in recent history to make a splash in their debut premier year, and sides like Beaumaris have been competitive, despite fielding what is effectively an U17/U18 side. Obviously the cup will be safe with the usual culprits in 2012, but in coming years I think we may see a shift as sides develop and adapt to the demands of the competition.

Think that's everything.
Discuss.

First to the Xavs/De La strength debate... I don't think you can say it like that... Id be tipping that De La, Scotch, St Bernards and the other school sides(St Bedes also in the same boat) would not have access to their top players as they would be playing at AFL, VFL, TAC cup or Senior level... Imagine De La with the likes of Williams and Humphry playing... or Xavs with Jenkinson or an Alex Browne, etc... then you could maybe press a case but you could easily add another dozen better players into those sides... but thats just an opinion...

With the strength of the Division I still think they should extend it to u20's as that would make the u18's even stronger... I also think that the Premier Division should be the same teams as Premier A in the seniors... and before you go on and say that Beaumaris would not be around... at this stage it looks like they may be in Div A.... and god help us if they do! I wouldn't want to see another episode like we did with St Bedes and Old Essendon a few seasons ago!

Not arguing that the sides could be stronger, every side in the comp would have players that 'could' be in the side but aren't, whether through TAC, injury, seniors, whatever the case.

Simply stating that school sides will always be stronger than non-school as the recruitment and coaching process is streamlined from school football to amateur football.

U20's would be interesting. From my
Observations the current U17 to U19 progression doesn't work effectively. Many skip the U17 year altogether to play at school or TAC, leaving those left behind high and dry. When they return from these streams most are left with only one year of U19 football before the are thrown into senior sides. I would like to see a serious look into a shift to an U18/U20 comp to give clubs time to build lists and not have to work around school football schedules.

Welcome Swanny. I’ll respond the matters you have raised.

Tribunal. I agree with much of what you say. I won’t elaborate as enough has been said on this point already but remember the kid pleaded guilty. Whether he gets 2 or 10 is not up to him. Just to add - the self-appointed umpires advisors evidence was dismissed as he has no credibility and his evidence was fiction.

Xavs & De La. At the risk of boring all the others and without wanting to sound like a smart ar$@ you need a crash course in the Melbourne school hierarchy. Without putting to fine a point on it you are way off the mark.

Firstly De La Salle is not an elite school. In fact they are a’ brother’ school to St Bedes, a club you have referred to as a local club. De La and St Bedes are the 2 secondary schools in Melbourne run by the De La Salle brothers. St Bedes are a bigger school with a junior club and a school feeder so they should be better placed than anyone you would think. Both are part of the ACC chain of schools which includes St Bernards, Parade, Mazenod, CBC, Salesian, Whitefriars and a few others. They are generally smaller and certainly not as well resourced as the big APS schools.

De La’s success at U19 level has nothing to do with scholarships as they don’t give them or with being an elite school as they are not one. It is about hard work and a commitment to an U19 program and nothing else. Some of the schools listed above are much bigger than De La but don’t have U19s in the Premier comp or in some cases an U19 team at all.

Your ‘elite’ schools (and I mean education institutions not football clubs) are the APS Schools - Scotch, Wesley, St Kevins, Brighton Grammar, Melbourne Grammar, Xavier, Carey, Haileybury etc and the AGSV schools - Trinity, Marcellin, Ivanhoe Grammar, Yarra Valley, etc etc. A look through the grades at both senior and U19 levels proves that being a flash school in itself means absolutely nothing. Xavs success at U19 level is a direct reflection on the time and effort they put in. Aside from Xavier how have these schools old boy teams fared at U19 level? You can be as prestigious as you like and give as many scholarships as you want but unless you put in the effort to make your U19s viable it means nothing. A club like Beaumaris with a massive junior club and 2 x U19 teams is well placed to challenge and has a bigger advantage then many of the school based teams.

Strength. Still a great comp but the gap between top and bottom has widened too much in the last few seasons resulting in too many blow outs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think that's everything.
Discuss.

Swanny you have raised a few points which I feel has generated some good activity on this forum.

In regards to Tribunal they are impartial and independant of the VAFA. They are the one who make the decision it always needs to be respected and acknowledged by everyone. Regardless of the suspension they dish out there is no way to appeal it as it currently stands. We need to get over the incident as it was several weeks ago now.

With Xavs and De La I agree that they are the benchmarks of the competition. Saying this we have several other teams in my four years make the Prelim such as my boys and St.Bedes. The influx of players in each side can vary from year to year. So you never know who will be a good team until the season gets going.
Its my understanding that Xavs put some greater emphasis on their 19's after missing the finals in 2008. They have lost a handful of 19's home and away games since then so credit to them. The numbers which they obtain from the school are high however this can cause other issues such as managing players missing out on games weekly. Which is easier said than done from my own experience.

The competition is of a high standard generally especially which there is a TAC bye. Having these players available increases in the intensity of games being played. Which I believes will benefit all players going forward.

I know there is a review of the Under 19's structure being undertaken at the moment. I had the chance to put some of my recommendation forward.

I have attached part of my email below.

I feel that there is a real good merit behind changing it to Under 20's. Especially with kids that are light framed and/or are slow in developing it gives them more time.

Additionally I feel that the Under 19's Premier Section needs to be promoted in a far better way. Considering it is the second best under age competition outside the TAC Cup. By promotion it can hopefully attract better players and coaches alike.

I would like to see Sportscover Arena used more for Under 19's footy. Especially for double headers and maybe even triple headers ! Friday night games could work providing the clubs were given enough notice.

Well done Swanny for getting this thread back on track.

lot of big goal kickers on the weekend looks like forwards got a hold of backmen this week

Is it safe to say with the VFL having a development league now that it is hurting the strength of the comp? Thoughts?

Is it safe to say with the VFL having a development league now that it is hurting the strength of the comp? Thoughts?
I've heard about this, haven't really looked into it though.
Care to explain what this league actually involves?

i agree about the vfl development league...WTF...all it does is deprive clubs of depth in their ranks....players would develop more playing A section VAFA than the so called VFL development league....

So this U20 competition a genuine chance for 2013? I believe it would be a great opportunity for 19-20 year olds who just aren't good enough to play A-grade every week and have to spend years playing reserves. U19s is really the last year you get to play with a close group of mates, senior footy is more recruitment and serious -especially in the higher grades. The bigger and better 19, 20 year olds would be playing seniors so the VAFA should not worry about the gap. There is nothing better than a 17 year old coming through playing with the older boys, provides a great environment to develop independence and mature.

Effectively it is an Under 19.5 competition anyway. If it goes to Under 20 it will perpetuate the advantage that guys born in the early part of the year have had all through their junior football days.

Tips

OM's easily by 90+
St Bedes in a tight match of the round by 5
St Bernards to tie up the top four in a close one by 10
OX to pull away late in a good game at Toorak park by 35
Scotch to pull away in the second half to win by 50

Thoughts??

OM's easily
De La too show the whole comp in the next 3 weeks that there a streak above the rest by 40.
St Bernards by 30
OXto win comftably by 45
Scotch to pull away to win by 20

OM's easily
De La too show the whole comp in the next 3 weeks that there a streak above the rest by 40.
St Bernards by 30
OXto win comftably by 45
Scotch to pull away to win by 20

Maybe stop skipping English? Still a win to OX for mine in the GF...

So this U20 competition a genuine chance for 2013? I believe it would be a great opportunity for 19-20 year olds who just aren't good enough to play A-grade every week and have to spend years playing reserves. U19s is really the last year you get to play with a close group of mates, senior footy is more recruitment and serious -especially in the higher grades. The bigger and better 19, 20 year olds would be playing seniors so the VAFA should not worry about the gap. There is nothing better than a 17 year old coming through playing with the older boys, provides a great environment to develop independence and mature.

17 year olds just out of under's footy already often struggle stepping up to 19's I think the gap is already too big? If you raise the age you will have more kids drop off who just can't compete at that level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back