B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Usually very hard to beat on their home deck but they were very disappointing today. Have one of the biggest junior programs in the state but pulled their Thirds a few weeks back and today their ressies played with 18. I know that June/July can be a challenge with travel, injuries and waning interest but this must be a concern for the Beaumaris faithful. On another note, they are usually very well supported. Granted it was a putrid day weather wise a very sparse turn out by the home supporters today.

Happy to be corrected but hearing unconfirmed reports that Haileybury forfeited the 2s today. Surely the most dominant team in the grade can rustle up a reserves side. Concerning if true, especially in Prem B.
They have and the so called gun coach called every player from everywhere , he's NFG

Agree. Usually very hard to beat on their home deck but they were very disappointing today. Have one of the biggest junior programs in the state but pulled their Thirds a few weeks back and today their ressies played with 18. I know that June/July can be a challenge with travel, injuries and waning interest but this must be a concern for the Beaumaris faithful. On another note, they are usually very well supported. Granted it was a putrid day weather wise a very sparse turn out by the home supporters today.

Happy to be corrected but hearing unconfirmed reports that Haileybury forfeited the 2s today. Surely the most dominant team in the grade can rustle up a reserves side. Concerning if true, especially in Prem B.
Forfeit rumour seems to be off the mark as results page indicates that OH did field a reserves side, albeit with only 14 players named on the team sheet. Not surprising the scoreline was horrendous but kudos to those who fronted up. Cannot have been much fun on a cold wet day at Trinity.

Round 9 Honest Match Report
Caulfield v OI at Glenhuntly Reserve
Generally very good. Centre a little muddy.
3-4 goal wind favouring the race course end.

After a week in hospital it was good to get out.
OI introduced 2 debutants and with 6 changes from the previous week, and with Caulfield scarring OC the previous game, the game was a a toss of the coin.

But Caulfield had been raided by the VFL, which put OI in the slight ascendancy.

OI kicked with the wind and one of the debutants kicked a goal within the 1st minute which was counted by Caulfield immediately.
OI ended up kicking up 7 to 2 against. Those 2 goals were pivotal in keeping Caulfield in touch.

OI held Caulfield for the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd, but bang, 5 goals to nothing for the remainder of the quarter saw Caulfield take a slight lead into the half.

Caulfield came out in the 3rd quarter and went bang, bang, bang, and OI were looking down the barrel. No. 5 for Caulfield is a gun. OI finally got the ball going there way and dominated the last 20 minutes, kicking 6 to a freak goal to No. 5.

With a 11 point lead, OI knew that kicking into the wind was going to be a challenge.

This proved correct with Caulfield kicking 3 goals to lead the game by 6 points.

And arm wrestle ensued, with OI kicking the next 2 goals, one from a dubious shepherding and subsequent 50 metre penalty, saw OI hold on for a 6 point win.

That’s our 4th win by less than a goal.

Caulfield were very very brave, but at full kit will be very hard to beat. They Play their ground really well.

Game played in good spirits, but Caulfield conceded 3 goals from 50 metre penalties. All warranted.

Max “recuperating from a missing Gallbladder” Leader

Listening to Caulfield coach Guy McKenna on SEN , analysing coaching, should he look in his own backyard .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Listening to Caulfield coach Guy McKenna on SEN , analysing coaching, should he look in his own backyard .

Bluey's messaging to our players and coaches on umpires has been consistent for 18months and is the same thing you would have heard today. Doesn't mean they don't transgress and cop the result of it.

However I think only 1 of the 50m penalties was for back chat, the other 2 were a bit more technical rather than behavioural

Bluey's messaging to our players and coaches on umpires has been consistent for 18months and is the same thing you would have heard today. Doesn't mean they don't transgress and cop the result of it.

However I think only 1 of the 50m penalties was for back chat, the other 2 were a bit more technical rather than behavioural

He’s not getting results for obviously getting paid overs .

How do we see the top 4 unfolding, % splitting 5 teams is not something I've seen before.

OH top and flag favs
De La should finish top 2, need to win at least 1 away against OH, OT or OC.
Trinity formidable at home but a very tough month coming up - will define there season
OG's - May just hold onto 4th place, the win over De La pre bye could be huge in the context of their season
OI - My tip to finish 4th - could all come down to the final round against the ladder leaders
OC - regardless of the draw, I can't see them closing the % gap. Effectively an extra win needed. Great season after coming up.

Forfeit rumour seems to be off the mark as results page indicates that OH did field a reserves side, albeit with only 14 players named on the team sheet. Not surprising the scoreline was horrendous but kudos to those who fronted up. Cannot have been much fun on a cold wet day at Trinity.
Its not off the mark this week. After barely scraping together a quorum last round, Haileybury have already their forfeited reserves tomorrow. Granted that sometimes July can be a tricky month to negotiate but how can the most dominant senior team in the grade and a club that is almost certain to play in Premier next season not scrape together a reserves side? Their 19s are flying. In second place and 4 games clear of 5th. Cannot possibly miss finals. Surely, they could give the 2s a chop out?

Its not off the mark this week. After barely scraping together a quorum last round, Haileybury have already their forfeited reserves tomorrow. Granted that sometimes July can be a tricky month to negotiate but how can the most dominant senior team in the grade and a club that is almost certain to play in Premier next season not scrape together a reserves side? Their 19s are flying. In second place and 4 games clear of 5th. Cannot possibly miss finals. Surely, they could give the 2s a chop out?

Are you surprised JJ? OH over the past few decades seem to have treated their 2's as a training squad for the senior team, results were never high on the priority list.

Are you surprised JJ? OH over the past few decades seem to have treated their 2's as a training squad for the senior team, results were never high on the priority list.
When you consider Haileybury is the biggest school in the state and they have a massive school football program for which they invest huge $ then I guess it should surprise that they cannot find 40 senior players to represent the school affiliate club this weekend. There is no shame in running short of players this time of year. It’s cold & wet, interest wanes and players head to warmer climates. But when you are on top of the ladder and destined for A grade you might think they could scrape enough players together, especially when playing at home. Feel more for those who front up each and of course for the oppo who might have been eyeing off a win in an otherwise tough season.

edit - I note now that Caulfield have also forfeited their reserves tomorrow. Another massive APS school with a huge football program. Sort of dispels the myth about Old Boys clubs automatically having a leg up. To grow and prosper takes bloody hard work, no matter what your background. Embarrassing for the VAFA that this can occur in the second highest grade.

Last edited:
When you consider Haileybury is the biggest school in the state and they have a massive school football program for which they invest huge $ then I guess it should surprise that they cannot find 40 senior players to represent the school affiliate club this weekend. There is no shame in running short of players this time of year. It’s cold & wet, interest wanes and players head to warmer climates. But when you are on top of the ladder and destined for A grade you might think they could scrape enough players together, especially when playing at home. Feel more for those who front up each and of course for the oppo who might have been eyeing off a win in an otherwise tough season.

edit - I note now that Caulfield have also forfeited their reserves tomorrow. Another massive APS school with a huge football program. Sort of dispels the myth about Old Boys clubs automatically having a leg up. To grow and prosper takes bloody hard work, no matter what your background. Embarrassing for the VAFA that this can occur in the second highest grade.
I believe they still had a good availability, with 14-17 players for Caulfield at least. Many clubs will field similar numbers, but I've never seen a prominent APS or 'Big Club' do the same. I assume this is due to embarrassment and these prestigious institutions wanting to avoid such situations. I remember our Reserves had only 14 players for three consecutive weeks two years ago. We still got beaten badly, but there's a sense of pride in that.

Surely U/19's could push up to fill the 2's.

Collegians thirds forfeit
Old Brighton thirds forfeit (OB second third XVIII still playing)

It's almost time the VAFA steps in and asks clubs can they put a side out every week, I know we want as many as possible playing week in week out. The league financially I believe benefits from forfeits (fines) so maybe they don't have an incentive to stop this happening week in week out.

It's almost time the VAFA steps in and asks clubs can they put a side out every week, I know we want as many as possible playing week in week out. The league financially I believe benefits from forfeits (fines) so maybe they don't have an incentive to stop this happening week in week out.
Thirds are a bit different. A lot of blokes just play for ships and giggles and forfeits, while not ideal are not that uncommon. Must say some of the gradings this year in the 3rds has not helped but that’s another story. But you would like to think that clubs in the Premier grades at least could fill seniors and reserves.

Thirds are a bit different. A lot of blokes just play for ships and giggles and forfeits, while not ideal are not that uncommon. Must say some of the gradings this year in the 3rds has not helped but that’s another story. But you would like to think that clubs in the Premier grades at least could fill seniors and reserves.
Yep the grading is a big issue for thirds, but also these big clubs have to field, it's genuinely disgraceful lmao. Small and Lower Division clubs putting up a bigger fight than them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No surprise that they’re also the two schools who hand out scholarships to anyone who breathes.

I believe they still had a good availability, with 14-17 players for Caulfield at least. Many clubs will field similar numbers, but I've never seen a prominent APS or 'Big Club' do the same. I assume this is due to embarrassment and these prestigious institutions wanting to avoid such situations. I remember our Reserves had only 14 players for three consecutive weeks two years ago. We still got beaten badly, but there's a sense of pride in that.
My little club in Hawthorn had over 70 players unavailable and still managed to put out three sides a few weeks back.
I was told the phones went into over drive calling all and sundry to fill in. Even the coaches pulled on the boots. Players playing a game, then running to the next to perform a volunteer role. Pretty impressive stuff.
Maybe these prominent school clubs aren't as prominent as they are made out to be.

My little club in Hawthorn had over 70 players unavailable and still managed to put out three sides a few weeks back.
I was told the phones went into over drive calling all and sundry to fill in. Even the coaches pulled on the boots. Players playing a game, then running to the next to perform a volunteer role. Pretty impressive stuff.
Maybe these prominent school clubs aren't as prominent as they are made out to be.

Similar story down the road at the snake pit. Plenty of outs but 3 sides turn out week in week out.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been asked more than once to lace up in the 3s this year (un)fortunately kids’ basketball has prevented this but never say never…

No surprise that they’re also the two schools who hand out scholarships to anyone who breathes.

Hand out scholarships like confetti at a wedding. Come in at year 10, stay two years plus, leave school, never seen again.
Boys who go through the school from the start, dont get a game when they reach the seniors and get pissed off. No wonder they cant get numbers to their Amateur club......

Hand out scholarships like confetti at a wedding. Come in at year 10, stay two years plus, leave school, never seen again.
Boys who go through the school from the start, dont get a game when they reach the seniors and get pissed off. No wonder they cant get numbers to their Amateur club......
think this has been becoming
something of a trend, & been playing out over the last 2 seasons. While those involved in said clubs (& schools) will likely dispute this theory. These 2 while often dominant at APS level, are both co-ed, so already fewer lads in the programs V boys schools. With the big influx of ‘bursary’ scholars, it’s a double whammy. Originals may get disenchanted, newbies on the school purse if not drafted have less emotional link to go on to VAFA footy with Old Boys clubs.
Hence other than 1sts, the ressies battle. Perhaps the only coed school /club consistently at the pointy end, staying in Premier A & always no issue fielding ressies is Collegians (although no great success at 2’s level)….
Plus Collegians women in Premier A, so something being done well at the Harry Trott:

think this has been becoming
something of a trend, & been playing out over the last 2 seasons. While those involved in said clubs (& schools) will likely dispute this theory. These 2 while often dominant at APS level, are both co-ed, so already fewer lads in the programs V boys schools. With the big influx of ‘bursary’ scholars, it’s a double whammy. Originals may get disenchanted, newbies on the school purse if not drafted have less emotional link to go on to VAFA footy with Old Boys clubs.
Hence other than 1sts, the ressies battle. Perhaps the only coed school /club consistently at the pointy end, staying in Premier A & always no issue fielding ressies is Collegians (although no great success at 2’s level)….
Plus Collegians women in Premier A, so something being done well at the Harry Trott:
Can't speak for CG but OH reserves have been battling for decades. Well before there were any females at the school. I realise the issue goes deeper than raw numbers but there are 1000s of boys at both schools and the male enrolment would dwarf many other old boy clubs in the VAFA. The numbers of girls v boys are miniscule by comparison. The female enrolment may be increasing but they are nothing like Wesley which would probably have close to a 50/50 split. On that point it is amazing that a legitimate co-ed school can compete year after year in the top grade. Something like 8 ‘A’ grand final appearances since 2008. Incredible record of sustained success.

Remove this Banner Ad

B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back