Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN : Cameron, Duncan, Stanley
OUT: Parf, MOC, Sav, Ceglar.

So everyone saying MOC and Menegola would miss were correct.

There was always that one or two other spots though that was very unclear... be it Zuthrie, Miers, Kolo, Rohan.

Parf out still seems odd to me and I'll say it's 50/50 he will be a late in.

I mean it’s pretty amazing job by Atkins and Zuthrie to get ahead of parf, MOC and the gola. I like it. I like it very much. Parf will be sub I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not so sure that's a good comparison. O'Connor has played every game since round 4. Whereas DJohnson was only ever a fringe/reserve player who after 2005 never played the same number of consecutive matches.
Over the back half of the season it's felt like O'Connor was biding time more than anything - a placeholder while others were managed

He started his season in the guts as our defensive mid, but Atkins soon stepped into that role

His role in defence also never looked settled - Bews is our #1 small defender, Guthrie Jnr & Kolodjashnij both having really good, solid seasons will also have given the MC something to think about

With Merrick, it never felt like he was a lock in the 22 this season

Was always going to be one out that was very stiff, didnt expect it to be Parfitt though.

Parf’s disposal is poorer than those in his bracket. It’s a final so we need the best of that. Menegola also kicking out of defence is really poor and often lacks awareness, comes straight back in more often than not. He makes up for it in bullet passes through the corridor which start offensive chains. I like all of these guys but not everyone can play so backing the most reliable set up is good.

Not entirely convinced Parfitt was dropped. He was one of the guys who was listed as not training a few days ago.

Might be injured / sore. But whether he plays or doesn't play clearly won't impact the result.

Scott has copped it over the years for not being ruthless at selection, clearly he has proved he can be.

I mean it’s pretty amazing job by Atkins and Zuthrie to get ahead of parf, MOC and the gola. I like it. I like it very much. Parf will be sub I reckon.

Think it also shows that the MC this season aren't really playing favorites where it's the same ole same ole being selected, where their form may be questionable while the "fringe" player who looks good gets pushed aside

We seem to be acknowledging form, rather than reputation better then we have in the past

Parf’s disposal is poorer than those in his bracket. It’s a final so we need the best of that. Menegola also kicking out of defence is really poor and often lacks awareness, comes straight back in more often than not. He makes up for it in bullet passes through the corridor which start offensive chains. I like all of these guys but not everyone can play so backing the most reliable set up is good.

Earlier in the thread I somewhat predicted this, couldnt see how Parfitt and Atkins fit into the same 22 at full strength, hes a bit unlucky but you can only pick so many mids that aren't great anywhere else on the ground.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the changes, Parfitt clearly the sub, thinking a late out potentially (Kola Concussion or Guthrie shoulder) either way I think it’s correct to keep Menegola and O’Connor out of the picture. Menegola not enough footy and O’Connor just hasn’t really staked his claim despite playing almost every week.

Very happy with the fact they've been brave enough to make the hard calls.
Ceglar is clearly our no.2 and the others are limited footballers comparative to those still in.

Kolo, Zuthrie, Smith, Duncan, Blitz, 2E, Henry, Stewart...That is a tall, slow, utility heavy team. A typical Chris Scott finals teams, once again sacrificing contested ball winners (Parf) for the inclusion of more utility (Duncan).

Hoping for a late in....If they write a book about Geelong over the last 10 years that would probably make a good title.

Will also be keen to hear in the post match how a player that got 28 disposals and 7 clearances the last time he played can be omitted...one of those "Master Coach" things i guess.

Yep im melting, save your replies i dont care. Collingwood are a tough team and stay in games because they dont give up on the contest, and all we have done is weakened that area of our game tonight. Zuthrie, Kolo and Miers should be on notice given how they have performed in previoius finals, but we all know they are safe, even if they guard grass all night and barely touch it. I thank god for the small mercy that at least MOC hasnt been kept in for the sake of Scotts ego. Maybe we can call that progress.

Only possible late change I can see is Parfitt in for Cam if his shoulder isn’t right. Otherwise I assume Parf will be the sub.
I reckon any one of the emergencies has merit as the sub (with Ceglar being the most unlikely).

O'Connor might be the sub due to versatility (can play defence and has played a bit in the middle - or at least allow Duncan to roll to a wing/midfield).

Good problem to have.

Last edited:
Very happy with the fact they've been brave enough to make the hard calls.
Ceglar is clearly our no.2 and the others are limited footballers comparative to those still in.
Zuthrie has done very well this year to cement his spot I’m very happy with that

I'll guess there's a better than 50/50 chance Parf is a late in... We love late outs.

Parf has polled coaches votes in 2 of the last 3 games, averaged 27 with around 7 clearances and 7 tackles and is our number 1 or 2 pressure player (along Atkins).

In fact, make it an 80/20 chance of a late in.

No melts from me, Parfitt extremely stiff but we all knew 1 or 2 players were going to be to be left out, unfortunately that was him (and Menegola).
MOC, Parf and Menegola have had interrupted seasons. Looks like the MC have gone with players to run out the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back