Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Outs (traded): Rachele, Curtin, Keane.

Outs (young players and its a new season so Nicks will have forgotten they were any good when he was forced to play them): Dowling, Bond, and Taylor.

Ins: Smith (new season so Nicks will have forgotten he was shit all season), Milera if still alive, 2 or more spuds we traded in to get good PR over the offseason, ???, ???.

Out of tonight's line up

Out Admin: Nick's, Kelly, Roo, VB, Golden and Burns

Out Team: Borlase, Laird, Murphy

Out (not playing tonight): McHenry, Smith, Sloane, Burgess, Schoenberg, Himmelberg, Parnell, Strachan, Gollant

Bold not to be on the list

How I’d like us to look R1 next year:

B: Michalanney, Butts, Worrell
HB: Hinge, Murray, Cumming
C: Sholl, Dawson, Nank
HF: Rankine, Fogarty, Rachele
F: Keays, Thilthorpe, Walker (I guess?)
R: ROB (if we have to), Soligo, Crouch
I/C: Taylor, Curtin, Dowling, ANB
Sub: Milera

Pick 4/Pedlar/Cook/Bond/Ryan/Edwards all in consideration, if they have ripper PSeasons. I assume here that Berry/Keane leave and Luko goes to Port

But we all know this won’t be it

How I think we could look come R1.

Keane, Berry to Pies for future first
Pies future first to GC for Lukosius
Third rounder to Dees for Neale-Bullen
Free agent - Cumming
Pick 4 - Draper (guess)
FS - Welsh approx pick 30

First rounder next year and year after would have to be on table for an elite midfielder via trade. Perhaps club taking a long term strategy for this.

FB: Worrell ~ Butts ~ Bond
HB: Hinge ~ Murray ~ Michalanney
C: Cumming ~ Dawson ~ Soligo
R: Obrien ~ Rankine ~ Crouch
HF: Keays ~ Fogarty ~ Neale-Bullen
FF: Rachele ~ Thilthorpe ~ Lukosius
B: Draper ~ Curtin ~ Milera ~ Taylor
S: Nankervis

Depth: Laird, Edwards, Ryan, Pedlar, Borlase, Himmelberg, Sholl, Dowling, Hamill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out:
Jones, Murphy, Berry, Borlase, Bond, Laird (with Dowling, Tex and Sholl on the edge depending on recruiting)

In:
Ryan, Neal-Bullen, Butts, Rachele, Rankine, and at least one of Edwards / Lukosius / Cumming / Draper / Lalor

Cumming and/or Lukosius straight into the side if they inexplicably want to play for us and whoever we pick at 4 (and perhaps also our 2nd pick) would be a big chance to come straight in too.

2-3 of Edwards, Ryan, Tex and Dowling would struggle to make the Round 1 side if that was the case.

Milera and Pedlar the smokies. Might never play again. Might become mainstays. Both pretty ravaged by injuries and it remains to be seen if the confidence can return.

Maybe we could actually recruit a ruckman who possesses the motor skills of an adult human to put pressure on O’Brien. I doubt it.

My side:

B: Hinge - Butts - Michalanney
HB: Worrell - Murray - Ryan
C: Soligo - Crouch - Nankervis
HF: Neal-Bullen - Fogarty - Rachele
F: Keays - Thilthorpe - Walker or Lukosius
R: ROB - Dawson - Rankine

Int:
Taylor
Curtin
2 of Sholl / Dowling / Cumming / Edwards / Draper / Lalor

Sub:
Any leftovers above, or Pedlar, or our 2nd draft pick

This is the squad of players we need to be playing most games next year to challenge for finals (assuming we get at least ANB in trade period, plus one of Cumming or Luko):

• Midfield/wing
    1. Rankine - missed 8 games
    2. Dawson
    3. Crouch - missed 8 games
    4. Soligo
    5. Pick 4
    6. Taylor
    7. Dowling
    8. Sholl
    9. Hinge
    10. Curtin
    11. Cumming??
    12. ROB
  • Forwards
    1. Thilthorpe - missed 16 games
    2. Fog
    3. Tex - missed 5 games
    4. Keays
    5. Rachele
    6. Pedlar - missed 19 games
    7. ANB
    8. Lukosius??
  • Defenders
    1. Murray - missed 14 games
    2. Worrell - missed 10 games
    3. Butts - missed 8 games
    4. Keane
    5. Michalanney
    6. Nankervis
    7. Laird
    8. Milera - missed 20 games
    9. Bond
That is a squad of ~29 players (give or take any other trades and potentially 2nd year draftees playing more consistently) which is capable of at least challenging for finals (of course other guys will play as injuries/form fluctuate, but this should be our core). I also highlighted guys that are established best 22 players that missed large chunks of the season through injury/suspension. It is a decent mix of youth, experience and star factor across all lines.

During 2024, we only really got our best defence and forwardline on the park for the last 4-6 weeks (which coincided with some of our best footy). Rankine barely played with RT at all. Laird only got finally shifted to HB in the last month. Milera gives us way better drive than Brodie Smith off HB these days and was sorely missed when they kept picking Smith through bad form.

PS. I am well aware Lachie Murphy probably still plays heaps of games, but I can dream that ANB will replace his role!

OUT:
Anyone who voted to extend Nicks
Nicks
Roo
Kelly
VB
Burns
Reid (thanks for 2 more years of Laird, the unnecessary extra year for Sloane, the contract trigger for Smith etc...)
Ogilvie (just too many significant misses)
Godden
The raptor head logo
Anyone who worked under Neil Craig
Anything Trigg ever suggested or implemented

IN:
Neil Balme
A backbone for Silvers
Nathan Buckley (Coach)
Anyone not a complete moron

Which players will have a barnstorming preseason and sneak their way back into the 22?

McHenry? Smith? Himmelberg? Jones? Parnell? Schoenberg?

Which young players who showed some promise this year will have it forgotten and get leapfrogged by the above?

Taylor? Dowling? Nankervis? Curtin?

Prepared for another year of pain. Remember at AFC, change only happens when its forced because the situtation is beyond the tipping point.

D: Max Butts Worrell
Hinge Murray Cumming (hopefully)

C: Nank Dawson Sholl
RoB Rankine Crouch

F: Taylor Fog Keays
Rash TT Curtin

I: Dowling Soligo Bond Pick 5

Do not want to see Laird or Murphy in tri colours again.

I want to see Dowling on ball, Curtin forward more, Taylor in Murphys role. Rankine 50% mid.

OUT:
Anyone who voted to extend Nicks
Nicks
Roo
Kelly
VB
Burns
Reid (thanks for 2 more years of Laird, the unnecessary extra year for Sloane, the contract trigger for Smith etc...)
Ogilvie (just too many significant misses)
Godden
The raptor head logo
Anyone who worked under Neil Craig
Anything Trigg ever suggested or implemented

IN:
Neil Balme
A backbone for Silvers
Nathan Buckley (Coach)
Anyone not a complete moron
Forgot to add in:
OUT:
Leadership team. Worst in the AFL. Worst in our history. Possibly worst in all of history. Throw it out and doing it properly

Which players will have a barnstorming preseason and sneak their way back into the 22?

Which young players who showed some promise this year will have it forgotten and get leapfrogged by the above?

None of those should be on the list next year if we are serious.

Rinse and repeat.

It was Worrell two years ago. Nank this year.

I’d say in order it will be Taylor, Dowling, Bond or Curtin that won’t get a game until after the bye next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back