Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Outs (traded): Rachele, Curtin, Keane.

Outs (young players and its a new season so Nicks will have forgotten they were any good when he was forced to play them): Dowling, Bond, and Taylor.

Ins: Smith (new season so Nicks will have forgotten he was shit all season), Milera if still alive, 2 or more spuds we traded in to get good PR over the offseason, ???, ???.
Yeah if rachele left I'd be completely done with the club. Wouldn't even come back with a new coach.

Last edited:
Rankine needs to become a full time mid over the PS. Have Crouch and dawson feeding him the ball.

Dawson needs to be in every cba and stop messing with him at hbf or hff.

Soligo the 4th mid. Berry slows us down.

Would love a repeat of the 2014 September.. when Sando was sacked.. hopefully the club does the same to Nicks cos he has had 5 years.. we havent improved this year.

Would we consider Ivan Soldo as a ruck option? I know he's had injuries at Port, but he's out of contract this year, and I think we should go for him instead of Strachan, unless we already have a younger option in mind. IMO he'd be better than RoB, and he did play quite a few good games for Richmond from memory.

Would we consider Ivan Soldo as a ruck option? I know he's had injuries at Port, but he's out of contract this year, and I think we should go for him instead of Strachan, unless we already have a younger option in mind. IMO he'd be better than RoB, and he did play quite a few good games for Richmond from memory.
Strachan is contracted. I would only be getting him in as 2nd ruck at this point. Not much point from his side to move over from R2/R3 at one club to R2 at another

Strachan is contracted. I would only be getting him in as 2nd ruck at this point. Not much point from his side to move over from R2/R3 at one club to R2 at another
All I can say is that Strachan was hopelessly out of his depth when tried this year at AFL level. Soldo has demonstrated he can be quite capable at the level, so I'd prefer him over Strachan - and probably RoB, who's a scrapper at best.

All I can say is that Strachan was hopelessly out of his depth when tried this year at AFL level. Soldo has demonstrated he can be quite capable at the level, so I'd prefer him over Strachan - and probably RoB, who's a scrapper at best.
He is an upgrade on Strachan for sure but what would be his motivation to move to another team where he isn't number 1?

Rankine needs to become a full time mid over the PS. Have Crouch and dawson feeding him the ball.

Dawson needs to be in every cba and stop messing with him at hbf or hff.

Soligo the 4th mid. Berry slows us down.
Can’t see Rankine ever being a full time mid, think he’ll always be an impact player.
We still need a blue chip mid, hopefully this years draft provides

B: Michalanney, Butts, Worrell
HB: Hinge, Murray, Cumming
C: Sholl, Dawson, Luko
HF: Dowling Curtin, Rachele
F: Neal-Bullen Thilthorpe, Fogarty
R: ROB Rankine Crouch
I/C: Taylor, Soligo Bond Keays Nankervis

With the recent re-signings, and with ANB and possibly Cumming on the way, I think we'll look like this:

HB: Milera, Murray, Cumming
C: Sholl, Dawson, Soligo
HF: Rankine, Fogarty, ANB
F: Keays, Thilthorpe, Murphy
R: ROB, Laird, Berry
IC: Walker, Crouch, Rachele, Hinge
Sub: Taylor

Depth: Curtin (swapping with Tex), Dowling, Bond, Borlase, Nankervis, Smith, Jones, Edwards, Cook, Ryan, Pedlar, Schoenberg, pick 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the recent re-signings, and with ANB and possibly Cumming on the way, I think we'll look like this:

Depth: Curtin (swapping with Tex), Dowling, Bond, Borlase, Nankervis, Smith, Jones, Edwards, Cook, Ryan, Pedlar, Schoenberg, pick 4.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Agreed though I think they'll have Nankervis or Jones as sub instead of Taylor

- I understand we may not get this players.

B: Worrell - Butts - MM
HB: Cumming - Murray - Curtin
C: Sholl - Dawson - Soligo
HF: Rankine - Walker - Rachele
F: ANB - Thilthorpe - Fogarty
1R: ROB - Crouch - Laird
Int : Dowling, Nankervis , Hinge , Keays

If it was upto me, I wouldn’t have Laird near the team.

I think if we're serious about improving the side would start out looking something like this.

B Worrell - Murray - Michalanney
HB Hinge - ??? - ???

R ??? - Dawson - Rankine
C ??? - Soligo - ???

HF Rachele - Fogarty - ???
F ??? - Thilthorpe - Keays

I Curtin - Pick 4 - ??? - ???
S ???

With 10 open positions. I think that fairly describes that we have issues on the outside of the contest, in the small forward position, half forward, ruck and it's unclear who our best second KPD will be. We also need to have Curtin and Pick 4 both locked firmly into the side somewhere.

At this stage I would have the side looking something like (I'm only including picks we have and trade ins that have nominated us)

HB Hinge - Keane - Ryan

R O'Brien - Dawson - Rankine
C Nankervis - Soligo - Sholl

HF Rachele - Fogarty - Neal-Bullen
F Walker - Thilthorpe - Keays

I Curtin - Pick 4 - Taylor - Pedlar
S Dowling

I think if we're serious about improving the side would start out looking something like this.

HB Hinge - ??? - ???

R ??? - Dawson - Rankine
C ??? - Soligo - ???

HF Rachele - Fogarty - ???
F ??? - Thilthorpe - Keays

I Curtin - Pick 4 - ??? - ???
S ???

With 10 open positions. I think that fairly describes that we have issues on the outside of the contest, in the small forward position, half forward, ruck and it's unclear who our best second KPD will be. We also need to have Curtin and Pick 4 both locked firmly into the side somewhere.

At this stage I would have the side looking something like (I'm only including picks we have and trade ins that have nominated us)

HB Hinge - Keane - Ryan

R O'Brien - Dawson - Rankine
C Nankervis - Soligo - Sholl

HF Rachele - Fogarty - Neal-Bullen
F Walker - Thilthorpe - Keays

I Curtin - Pick 4 - Taylor - Pedlar
S Dowling
If Cumming and Lukosius get to us I'd go.

B. Worrell ~ Murray ~ Bond
HB. Hinge ~ Keane ~ Michalanney

R. OBrien ~ Rankine ~ Dawson
C. Cumming ~ Crouch ~ Soligo

HF. Rachele ~ Fogarty ~ Lukosius
F. Keays ~ Thilthorpe ~ Neale-Bullen

I. Pick 4 ~ Curtin ~ Taylor ~ Sholl
S. Dowling

Love to have Pedlar in but just don't trust him right now. Or Club to make a player out of him.

A fit and in form Milera and Pedlar at the start of 25 will feel like a couple of "trade wins" for our best 22.

Both these guys add pressure on the incumbents in their part of the ground.
Like a new recruit!

I still have hope that Cook will somehow get confused and find the weights room too. Kid has talent.

I'm confident we'll get ANB, Cumming and Luko, hopefully another surprise. It should see the end at senior level of Murphy and Smith BUT

Forget about ruck being anyone but ROB, it's just not happening folks.

- I understand we may not get this players.

B: Worrell - Butts - MM
HB: Cumming - Murray - Curtin
C: Sholl - Dawson - Soligo
HF: Rankine - Walker - Rachele
F: ANB - Thilthorpe - Fogarty
1R: ROB - Crouch - Laird
Int : Dowling, Nankervis , Hinge , Keays

If it was upto me, I wouldn’t have Laird near the team.
Yet there he is, named in the side you picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back