Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You want Murphy as sub??? Big Pass for me...
Taylor had a nice impact with limited game time.

1. Nice intercept mark to stop GWS from scoring
2. Kick to Muppet Murphy for a chance on goal.
3. Professional free kick he gave away to stop GWS player on the counter.

For a first game that is pretty good!!

I can't believe you would choose the Muppet over Taylor.

The less I see Muppet and Ned Flanders in the side it will make the AFC world better.
There are two reasons for it.
1. I think Murphy has been okay this season for the most part, not a superstar but good enough to hold his place as a fringe player - and better than Taylor from what I can tell (that's mostly based on stat's, selection and match reports though because I haven't seen many SANFL games). Taylor's quarter was quite bad. It was his first game and I don't want to be too harsh on him but it shouldn't have done anything to elevate his status it the selection order. He had 4 possessions in a quarter as a full time mid and the freshest player on the ground. One of them being an uncontested kick where he blazed away and turned over what should have been a goal scoring play.
2. I don't like going players being the sub, especially 2 weeks in a row, because I think it's bad for their development.

Usually, when it's a close call I would prefer to pick the kid, but in this case I think it makes the team worse (albeit only slightly) and is worse for Taylor's development. That's why I would pick Murphy as sub out of the two of them.

1. I think Murphy has been okay this season for the most part, not a superstar but good enough to hold his place as a fringe player - and better than Taylor from what I can tell (that's mostly based on stat's, selection and match reports though because I haven't seen many SANFL games). Taylor's quarter was quite bad. It was his first game and I don't want to be too harsh on him but it shouldn't have done anything to elevate his status it the selection order. He had 4 possessions in a quarter as a full time mid and the freshest player on the ground. One of them being an uncontested kick where he blazed away and turned over what should have been a goal scoring play.
2. I don't like going players being the sub, especially 2 weeks in a row, because I think it's bad for their development.

Usually, when it's a close call I would prefer to pick the kid, but in this case I think it makes the team worse (albeit only slightly) and is worse for Taylor's development. That's why I would pick Murphy as sub out of the two of them.
tumblr_mm8n7kwbQx1so450so1_1280.gif

Mark Critch Comedy GIF by CBC

It’s really obvious that Nicks dropped smith due to public pressure and picked him back at the earliest possible opportunity. He has no regard for the mid-long term future of the club. Officially the worst coach we’ve ever had.

Spot on.

I say this every bloody week - no planning, no strategic thinking, just constant knee jerk reactions.

Smith was always going to perform well in the SANFL, it has zero relevance to his ability to perform at AFL level.

Hinge has his best game all year with Smith out (I wonder why?), and our rebounding from the backline is better than it's been all year (I wonder why); and we bring Smith straight back in?

Watch him get 20+ useless touches, the bulk of which are kick-ins, shit handballs, or blind dump kicks, while Hinge has a quieter offensive game as we play through Brodie.

Shit Club with a shit coach.

Hoping Brisbane smash us by 10 goals.

Chayce Jones dropped :)
I'd say he's this season's biggest disappointment player wise. He finally looked like he found his place on the wing and became a vital cog in our side, but has reverted to being a non-entity. I wonder how much the lisfranc injury has had on his form? Petty suffered the same injury and has been one of the worst players in the league this year.

G'day Crows fans

Just watched the replay of the last game. Both sides probably feel they should have won!

Re Rankine, was he tagged in the second half last week and by whom? Not sure we have anyone to go with him in the midfield as Berry is our tagger but not that agile. Seems absolutely crucial to your side from what i have seen.

I was a bit surprised to see no TT in your side but he has been out for a long time i guess. Himmelberg i don't rate that highly but tbf played quite well last time against us.

McInerney is in pretty good form for us but ROB seems better since being dropped. From a lions point of view i am hopeful of getting on top in midfield as we have been (mostly) better in there since the bye, Dunkley and Neale back in form - do you suspect Keays gets the Neale job again? Soligo seems much improved. Dawson a gun. You seem to be one high quality mid short for now while Rankine is not in there at least.

Your key defenders are not big names but playing pretty well so i think you are reasonably well placed to dampen Daniher and Hipwood. Charlie is in incredibly bad form and massively down on confidence. Lohman arguably more of a threat.

Overall i think both backlines would feel okay about playing on the respective forward lines so it's a cliche but all about the midfield i reckon. Draw last game, we fell in by a goal last time at the gabba, so this feels a lot closer than most think
Don't worry about Charlie.. just put him on keane ... To get his confidence back

Smith was always going to perform well in the SANFL, it has zero relevance to his ability to perform at AFL level.
This is the mixed messages and hypocrisy that the club constantly spews depending on their agenda.

Dowling banging the door down in SANFL? Irrelevant. He might not be ready. SANFL form means nothing as the AFL is a different beast.

Smith plays a good game in the 2's? Get him in! Bloke is IN FORM!

The longer Nicks stays the more likely it is that we'll need another rebuild before we're good again
The fact that they are saying things like they'll pick the younger player shows they are aware of what everyone thinks they should do, they just don't want to actually do it. Which tells me they are more interested in the short term saving face than any sort of success.
It's not just us fans saying these things, there's actually people in the media wondering why we aren't playing talented youngsters, or finding out whether who we have are any good. I even heard the traders (who have no idea) questioning why arent we playing kids, it doesn't make sense

The club probably feels it can still make the eight. That can be the only conclusion.

We choose our team based on what? Nicks’ idea of what the team needs seems to be based on looking backwards ONLY.

We will not take anything that looks like a risk - we will not do anything that even smells within one inch of being “rushed“.

Take an extra week.
Don’t put a player under stress.
Don’t expose players to anything they haven’t already seen.
Baby steps only.
Protect protect protect, when the opposite produces results for other clubs.

… unless you have “experience” of course, then we have a different set of rules. That experience has no measure within it around quality - just experience.

It’s given us 25 premiership free years.

We are all about competing in the battle in front of us - with no interest in the war, let alone winning the war. (Even in 2017 when we were the best team, when we had a chance to be daring - because of injury - we picked a team for the GF that was safe. Ick)

It’s why some of us want change now.

This pattern is familiar, this feels like another lap around the oval.

We hold the course too long. AFL is a yearly sprint, not a 25 year marathon.

The selections this week reinforce what we stand for - we have no vision. We are scared.

Hello Mr Nicks Snr.

Murphy has kicked 4.3 in 9 games and ave 11 disposals per game but this is the kicker - for a player with 107 games experience, not 1, not 20, not even 50 but 107. You have a very low bar if you think that is acceptable and okay.

Hello Mr Nicks Snr.

Murphy has kicked 4.3 in 9 games and ave 11 disposals per game but this is the kicker - for a player with 107 games experience, not 1, not 20, not even 50 but 107. You have a very low bar if you think that is acceptable and okay.
107 games that could have gone to a multitude of kids needing AFL exposure.

McSpud wastes another 60+ games

Nicks is just a dumb ****er

2025 shaping as another development year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Nicks so quick to trout out that Brodie Smith is a part of our future yet we’re so reluctant to get a contract for Tex done?

Because Brodie hit a contract trigger so we don’t have a lot of choice (unless we pay him out). Tex is still an each way bet based on how he holds up for the last 8 weeks

I would bet he gets another year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

107 games that could have gone to a multitude of kids needing AFL exposure.

McSpud wastes another 60+ games

Nicks is just a dumb ****er

2025 shaping as another development year

In fairness on McHenry the club invested a first rounder on him. Had to give him 50 games to try and see if we could get a return. That’s not on Nicks

Murph on the other hand - hopefully we can bring in 2 best 18 recruits and that should finally be the end of him as a first pick

In fairness on McHenry the club invested a first rounder on him. Had to give him 50 games to try and see if we could get a return. That’s not on Nicks

Murph on the other hand - hopefully we can bring in 2 best 18 recruits and that should finally be the end of him as a first pick

And hopefully he produces a ripper father son kid

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The club probably feels it can still make the eight. That can be the only conclusion.
There is no doubt. The club has said they play every game to win. They will see how close they get to the eight - to where they expected to be when the year started - and will see if the gap is close enough and explainable enough (RT, other injuries) to keep Nicks on.

Which they probably will, but with upgraded assistants. Rumour on the Port board that Montgomery is headed our way. Didn’t say whether as assistant or senior coach.

Really?
I was astonished (Himmelberg retained), mystified (Burgess named ... in case of what? Is Tex carrying a niggle/awareness?), appalled (Smith straight back, now watch him kick ootf or to Brisbane players most of the game), suspicious (Nank named on the bench) and totally fed up with Nicks.

Why surprised Himmelberg kept? TT is a fair way off rucking for even 15% of game - wouldn’t be surprised if he has another 2-3 in the Sanfl
Burgess had a cracking game - but not in serious contention for a game
Smith dominated - defender going out was always coming back in that scenario. Unlikely to debut Ryan at the Gabba and he is the only other option
Nank on the bench - meh, bench or on field, they turn over so quickly

So according to Nicks a young player needs to match an older player’s impact on a game before they will be selected!

How does that philosophy ever allow a player to debut? All players in the draft this year will hope we don’t pick them because the barriers to entry to our AFL side are too great . We are so delusional about where we are at it’s not funny. Our strategy is completely incongruent

Have you actually looked at the top 20 from last years draft? Only 5 of the 12 behind Curtin have even debuted. Of those only 3 have played 4 games or more - so Curtin at 2 is around the mark

Have you actually looked at the top 20 from last years draft? Only 5 of the 12 behind Curtin have even debuted. Of those only 3 have played 4 games or more - so Curtin at 2 is around the mark

Sub twice.

Played as a fullback in SANFL.

There is no doubt. The club has said they play every game to win. They will see how close they get to the eight - to where they expected to be when the year started - and will see if the gap is close enough and explainable enough (RT, other injuries) to keep Nicks on.

Which they probably will, but with upgraded assistants. Rumour on the Port board that Montgomery is headed our way. Didn’t say whether as assistant or senior coach.

Rowey has mentioned before about Montgomery.

This will be what, Nicks' 3rd group of assistants? I doubt it's going to achieve anything.

I also don't see Montgomery having any higher pedigree than Scott Burns has, this is just another change for change sake to keep the heat off Nicks.

Back