Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I found it odd nicksy said the midfield in the first half was inexperienced. While Billy did play in there for some time in the second Rob, laird, Dawson, Rankine and to a lesser extent Berry were our midfield for the first half most post 25 years of age!!!

Murphy was incredibly fumbly at half forward in the first half and cost us vital opportunities near goal. His performance as a tagger in the second half was much better but the damage in the midfield and up forward was already done. Surely the one player you need to lock down when you play Brisbane is Lachie Neale. I cannot believe this was not a hard tag from first bounce

Bris Mids
Neale 31/261
Dunkley 27/156
Mcluggage 26/171
Berry 26/149
Starcevich 24/109

Others? Ashcroft, Bailey?

Adelaide Mids
Laird 30/240
Dawson 27/125 (2nd season playing fulltime-ish mid)
Rankine 24/81 (first full season playing fulltime-ish mid)
Berry 22/50
Soligo 21/53
Dowling 20/4
Murphy 25/108

Others?? Taylor

Doesn't really matter how you cook it, in comparison to the opposition (and to pretty much most midfields in the AFL) we're inexperienced.

Thanks for reply, but I've made that clear in previous posts.
("Cook, zero tackles, zero FF, zero FA; says a lot about his intensity and physical involvement.
Prefers to be given the ball than to get it.")

Fair enough.
He doesn't have enough game impact, nor does he bring others into the game enough, imo.
On Sunday night, 13 disposals, 2 marks, nothing else :(.

First, we gotta make Finals (or did you mean playing for a better side? :sneaky:).
Yes, I think he's "more icing than cake", too.
Yeah apologies didn't see that.

He's getting a goal a game, and yes that is padded by 2 games of 3, but he is also 24 matches in to his career playing in a very ordinary side.

He doesn't get a hell of a lot of it, thats true, he definitely seems a player you needto get the ball too, rather than a player that gets there own all the time.

but I do hope he is an icing player for us.

4 weeks for Rankine

Fines for Laird, Keays and Keane

Bloody ridiculous that players can punch someone in the face and get a fine and Rankine can bump someone in the stomach but accidentally clash heads and get 4 weeks.

If Patty Cripps did this it wouldn't be 4 weeks in fact Carlton legal team would call the other player's lack of awareness the reason they got knocked out and he would get off as they'd show vision of earlier in the game of Cripps getting scragged and claim self defence.

4 weeks for Rankine

Fines for Laird, Keays and Keane

4 weeks for bracing for contact off the ball from the opponent.

Wouldn't expect anything less from the AFL.

Rankine got hit in the head too - why no penalty for the Lions player?

Must challenge on principle.

So hang on. They are unrealistic expectations, but you can see why the club had them?

Yeah - its all an issue with youth.

I mean the gap between 15th place us and 4th place Freo is massive (well it is - but not in age).

Freo - Average age 25.4 / Games 95.4 / players under 100 games - 15

Adelaide - Average age 25.0 / Games 86.2 / Players under 100 games 16.

And lets compare to other teams -

GWS - Average age 25.0 / Games 92.3 / Players under 100 games 16.

Even the ever competing Power - 25.3 / 96.5 / Players under 100 games 15.
This round last season we were 9th and Freo were 14th. The gap is not big at all, small things make large differences.

That 10 game difference between us and those other teams is one of the biggest differences. If you can get to 95-100 games of experience you are usually able to push any other team in the comp. Consider that remembering that we are more like 75 games if you take Smith and Walker out.

Port was over 100 games of experience early in the year.
I'll give you Freo, they are young and inexperienced but they've had a pretty good roster of about the same amount of experience playing each week (but when we had that last year, look how much better we were).

GWS has ranged from 108 to as low as 81, mostly they've been up about high 80's. Remembering they're choc full of top draft picks and now concession picks as well. Anyway, we just went past them anyhow.

On what basis? Rankine opted to bump. The head clash may not have been intended, but it was a foreseeable outcome of the bump. The decision to bump was intentional (even if the head clash was not). They clashed heads, so that's high contact. The player was subbed out, and will miss next week, so that's severe impact.

IMHO, Rankine lined him up .. and was always going to be sanctioned

I just struggle with the 4 weeks

I just think it's a sad indictment of the AFL that run of the mill players can scrag / tag the elite players out of the game and when they react

No one goes to the football to watch Starcevich, I go to watch players like Rankine though

Bloody ridiculous that players can punch someone in the face and get a fine and Rankine can bump someone in the stomach but accidentally clash heads and get 4 weeks.

If Patty Cripps did this it wouldn't be 4 weeks in fact Carlton legal team would call the other player's lack of awareness the reason they got knocked out and he would get off as they'd show vision of earlier in the game of Cripps getting scragged and claim self defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like, this is some next level rose-coloured glasses stuff...

He moved towards the Brisbane player and deliberately bumped him.

The AFL has changed the rules from last year that the responsibility for care is with the player electing to bump, and if there's an accidental head clash it will be ruled as intentional and high contact from the player bumping...

Luke Parker was suspended for a similar incident in the VFL for 6 weeks...same thing, accidental head clash when he elected to bump...

You can almost guarantee that somewhere in the rest of this season or next season at the latest, something almost idential to this is going to happen to a darling of the competition, from one of the darling teams and they'll find a way to give them a fine. Can set your watch by it. I thought the same with that McAdam bump and penalty - and I was right.

IMHO, Rankine lined him up .. and was always going to be sanctioned

I just struggle with the 4 weeks

I just think it's a sad indictment of the AFL that run of the mill players can scrag / tag the elite players out of the game and when they react

No one goes to the football to watch Starcevich, I go to watch players like Rankine though

Does this now remove him from possible AA selection?

On what basis? Rankine opted to bump. The head clash may not have been intended, but it was a foreseeable outcome of the bump. The decision to bump was intentional (even if the head clash was not). They clashed heads, so that's high contact. The player was subbed out, and will miss next week, so that's severe impact.
Am I right in thinking this is all the highest levels you can get in terms of feeding into the games you'll get given?

So this is the same set of gradings as you'd get for ironing a player out off the ball, just lining them up and running through them, 60's or 70's style?

Intentional to careless, No idea how a head clash can be intentional. But that is still 3 weeks.
He chose to bump, off the ball. It's intentional every day of the week.

The head clash was accidental, but the decision to bump was intentional - and players are liable for anything that happens when they choose to bump.

I still don't understand the intentional bit

If you try to shepherd, so a legal football action, but get the player high in the act by accident does that count as intentional?

That would be either reckless or accidental based on the manner you did it.

If you have elected to bump, that's intentional. If you're trying to do something else and it ends up turning into a bump, that's not intentional.

To take a simpler example, striking. If you have tried to hit someone, that's intentional. If you've struck your arm out with no regard for where it might end up and collected someone, that's reckless. If you've blindly hit someone and it couldn't have reasonably been foreseen, that's accidental.

Now, after that they can determine where you have hit them and with what force. If you've swung an arm out, but it's just collected someone in the chest with little impact, it doesn't matter. On the other hand if you've broken their nose, then it does.

In Rankine's case, he has clearly elected to bump, so that's intentional. It turns out he got him high, so that's high contact. Then the only remaining question is impact. The guy ended up concussed so they've gone with severe contact.

It's hard enough to watch us at the moment as it is with finals long gone and no tangible benefit for winning, and now we don't even have Rankine's football to enjoy for a month.

Bleh

Am I right in thinking this is all the highest levels you can get in terms of feeding into the games you'll get given?

So this is the same set of gradings as you'd get for ironing a player out off the ball, just lining them up and running through them, 60's or 70's style?
It's the highest they can get from the grading grid. The MRO does have the option of sending players straight to the tribunal, if they think a more severe penalty is required.

Yes, but for incidents where they feel the system is inadequate or inappropriate they can just send the player straight to the tribunal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back