Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There are two reasons for it.
1. I think Murphy has been okay this season for the most part, not a superstar but good enough to hold his place as a fringe player - and better than Taylor from what I can tell (that's mostly based on stat's, selection and match reports though because I haven't seen many SANFL games). Taylor's quarter was quite bad. It was his first game and I don't want to be too harsh on him but it shouldn't have done anything to elevate his status it the selection order. He had 4 possessions in a quarter as a full time mid and the freshest player on the ground. One of them being an uncontested kick where he blazed away and turned over what should have been a goal scoring play.
2. I don't like going players being the sub, especially 2 weeks in a row, because I think it's bad for their development.

Usually, when it's a close call I would prefer to pick the kid, but in this case I think it makes the team worse (albeit only slightly) and is worse for Taylor's development. That's why I would pick Murphy as sub out of the two of them.
Meth: not even once.

Rowey has mentioned before about Montgomery.

This will be what, Nicks' 3rd group of assistants? I doubt it's going to achieve anything.

I also don't see Montgomery having any higher pedigree than Scott Burns has, this is just another change for change sake to keep the heat off Nicks.

Yeah, its bullshit.

Nicks has resisted senior help originally, too late to go crying for it now.

Yeah, its bullshit.

Nicks has resisted senior help originally, too late to go crying for it now.
The thing is Burns is an experienced assistant, Rahilly was experienced. VB less so. They were lauding this group of assistants, we lost Rahilly and replaced him with Hombsch but Hombsch has led the best line. So will Hombsch be the sacrifice or are they suggesting Bambi isn’t up to it and they’ll piss off VB?

Because Brodie hit a contract trigger so we don’t have a lot of choice (unless we pay him out). Tex is still an each way bet based on how he holds up for the last 8 weeks

I would bet he gets another year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Just because he has triggered another contract, doesn't mean he needs to play in the AFL side. He could play SANFL all year and then only play if we have a lot of injuries. Guys like Ryan and Curtin should be playing before him next year. They should be the ones getting the call of being a big part of our future.

It’s a simple fix.

Band one is pick 10, whether you finish 1st or 18th.
Band two, end of first round.
Band three, pick 28, whether you finish 1st or 18th.
Band four, end of second round

Why should Sydney be penalised for losing a free agent this season while NM are rewarded.

Because that's the design, it's part player movement, part equalisation measure.

This will be what, Nicks' 3rd group of assistants? I doubt it's going to achieve anything.

I also don't see Montgomery having any higher pedigree than Scott Burns has, this is just another change for change sake to keep the heat off Nicks.

If you keep changing the assistants however you keep getting the same outcomes then the problem is bloody obvious.

Yeah we’ve changed our assistants a number of times over Nicks tenure here for no real improvement, possibly the problem is more the coach then the people we surrounded him with?

Ultimately it doesn’t matter who the assistants are if the coach doesn’t want to listen to them.

The thing is Burns is an experienced assistant, Rahilly was experienced. VB less so. They were lauding this group of assistants, we lost Rahilly and replaced him with Hombsch but Hombsch has led the best line. So will Hombsch be the sacrifice or are they suggesting Bambi isn’t up to it and they’ll piss off VB?
You reckon they might shoot Bambi?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burns surely the one in the gun

New forward line coach
VB mids and Hombsch defence both stay

I think they'll completely separate the line coaching roles and senior assistant role

New senior assistant to work across all groups, holding Nicks' hand

Last edited:
Sub twice.

Played as a fullback in SANFL.
Once as FB, he has largely played up the ground since then and is playing midfield this week. They are basically trialling him all over the ground and trying to workout his best position. His unique skillset is why clubs rated him so highly in the draft, but also why it's hard to nail down a position straight away.

If you keep changing the assistants however you keep getting the same outcomes then the problem is bloody obvious.
+
Yeah we’ve changed our assistants a number of times over Nicks tenure here for no real improvement, possibly the problem is more the coach then the people we surrounded him with?

Ultimately it doesn’t matter who the assistants are if the coach doesn’t want to listen to them.
1720228091537.jpeg

Godden back to midfield coach :D
How Dare You Greta GIF

Just because he has triggered another contract, doesn't mean he needs to play in the AFL side. He could play SANFL all year and then only play if we have a lot of injuries. Guys like Ryan and Curtin should be playing before him next year. They should be the ones getting the call of being a big part of our future.

Agree he can play a lot of Sanfl - but it still makes sense that the coach is talking him up as part of the groups future - because he will be there next year

Have we? I thought he had next to nothing in his first year or two - and then they got this group around him a couple of years ago

Back