Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane Lions

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Yes

• Yes, but to the sub

• Nope, he's staying in

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind murphy if he was kicking 30-40 goals a season up there. But like in soccer, whats the point of a forward that doesn't kick goals

In the last 5 years, he has kicked 44 goals from 75 games - so barely 9 goals a year, how is that acceptable on any level? Abysmal.

Based on past practices its hard seeing many if any changes will be made given the win against GWS. So what the club initiates will be much of the same. What I would like to see is that we persevere with Dowling, Cook, Berry and Taylor but we try and get Pedlar back in. Like many on here I would be happy to see the end of Murphy. I also would play TT in the SANFL for one more game. Just a little concerned about bringing him straight back in.

So leave the team as is but move Murphy out and play Pedlar as Sub and keep Dowling, Berry, Cook and Taylor in the team. Others have stated Cook should be on the wing so lets give him the chance.

We always seem to like to play and develop players out of their natural position and into a position the club desires to play them in just to fill a gap.

Not sure what will happen with Curtin. Perhaps he will be ready for 2025 but if we could get him into the team for exposure would be beneficial. Leaving players out to get those games into him will be an issue.

General defensive forward is a dumb role that’s perpetuated by idiots. The players who are already at the ball through being targeted are responsible for applying defensive pressure if the don’t win the contest. Expecting a player to dummy lead to take their opponent out of the lane to somehow turn around and make up tens of metres to pressure someone is about as stupid a strategy as it gets. There are no regularly good defensive forwards that aren’t offensive threats first.

Hmmmmm.... I guess Hardwick at Richmond was an idiot and so was Clarkson at Hawthorn.

For the sake of this argument - lets remember Murphy averages .7 goals a game.

During Hawthorns dominance - Puopolo averaged .9 goals a game. He was purely in the side as a defensive forward and was bloody good at it. Won 3 flags.

What about during Richmond's dominance? Jason Castagna ring any bells? Averaged similar to Murphy in goals, but was in that stacked forward line as a defensive forward.

What about Bradley Close during Geelong's 2022 premiership season? He in the team for his goals or his defensive pressure?

What about Beau McReery with Collingwood during their premiership run? Ya think he is in for his offensive output.

What about this year - Lachlan Fogarty with Carlton, Switkowski with the Dockers, Kade Chandler with the Demons all in their sides this year as defensive forwards.

I won't risk discussing the idiot response. I don't want to get attacked on here for elder abuse.

I think with a forward line containing TT, FOG, Walker, Rachele, Rankine we can have a defensive forward who we dont need to kick goals.

Just some tackles inside 50 would be nice. The issue is that Murphy is an SANFL level footballer who has ZERO elite traits.

We would be so much better if we just brought in a lightning fast player who could tackle.
That's Keays for us though, right?

He's pretty much in that role.

Based on past practices its hard seeing many if any changes will be made given the win against GWS. So what the club initiates will be much of the same. What I would like to see is that we persevere with Dowling, Cook, Berry and Taylor but we try and get Pedlar back in. Like many on here I would be happy to see the end of Murphy. I also would play TT in the SANFL for one more game. Just a little concerned about bringing him straight back in.

So leave the team as is but move Murphy out and play Pedlar as Sub and keep Dowling, Berry, Cook and Taylor in the team. Others have stated Cook should be on the wing so lets give him the chance.

We always seem to like to play and develop players out of their natural position and into a position the club desires to play them in just to fill a gap.

Not sure what will happen with Curtin. Perhaps he will be ready for 2025 but if we could get him into the team for exposure would be beneficial. Leaving players out to get those games into him will be an issue.
It would be great to see the coaches do that this week.

Are you going to the game ?

Hmmmmm.... I guess Hardwick at Richmond was an idiot and so was Clarkson at Hawthorn.

During Hawthorns dominance - Puopolo averaged .9 goals a game. He was purely in the side as a defensive forward and was bloody good at it. Won 3 flags.

What about during Richmond's dominance? Jason Castagna ring any bells? Averaged similar to Murphy in goals, but was in that stacked forward line as a defensive forward.

What about Bradley Close during Geelong's 2022 premiership season? He in the team for his goals or his defensive pressure?

What about Beau McReery with Collingwood during their premiership run? Ya think he is in for his offensive output.

What about this year - Lachlan Fogarty with Carlton, Switkowski with the Dockers, Kade Chandler with the Demons all in their sides this year as defensive forwards.

I won't risk discussing the idiot response. I don't want to get attacked on here for elder abuse.

Actually Murphy’s output over last 5 years is barely 0.5 goals a game. His first two years when he kicked nearly one goal a game and when Nicks wasn’t coach skew that average.

General defensive forward is a dumb role that’s perpetuated by idiots. The players who are already at the ball through being targeted are responsible for applying defensive pressure if the don’t win the contest. Expecting a player to dummy lead to take their opponent out of the lane to somehow turn around and make up tens of metres to pressure someone is about as stupid a strategy as it gets. There are no regularly good defensive forwards that aren’t offensive threats first.

Jason Castagna and Beau McCreery have been really good role players for the teams - no more of an offensive threat than Murphy but important players in recent premierships

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously didn’t read this before my comment

Murphy isn't going out. But we can live in hope.
There's more chance of Murphy going out than Curtin coming in if you watched the Snaffle on the weekend, Curtin to my eye looked proppy at different times during that game.

That's Keays for us though, right?

He's pretty much in that role.

I think Keays is more of a 7th forward.

With TT, FOG, Walker, Rachele, Rankine - we have 5 pretty dangerous forwards. We can rotate Pedlar, Keays through there as well - but we really lack a pressure forward.

Ideally in a challenging side - Keays would come off the bench. Can play a tagging role, pinch hit in the midfield, make a cheating defender honest through his work rate.

There's more chance of Murphy going out than Curtin coming in if you watched the Snaffle on the weekend, Curtin to my eye looked proppy at different times during that game.

You are probably right, Curtin won't play but after reading this forum, if accuracy was a means for posting, this board would be quite dull and boring.

I just assumed people were posting what they wanted to happen. Not what will actually happen.

In all likelihood, they will go in unchanged and Thrilthorpe will spend an extra week in the SANFL.

Seriously didn’t read this before my comment

Ha ha ha. No dramas.

It's pretty obvious to 99% of the footy world that a defensive forward that actually applies defensive pressure is a key part of most forward lines.

Unfortunately - the old fella is a little cooked in his thinking.

Absolutely fell off my seat as Rowey and Graham Cornes started their radio spot by totally gushing over Murphy for playing a very good game (his best game for the year apparently) and he’s also being interviewed on 5aa tonight, what game did they watch and what universe are they f**king living in?
According to some he is this close to being a triple premiership player

Absolutely fell off my seat as Rowey and Graham Cornes started their radio spot by totally gushing over Murphy for playing a very good game (his best game for the year apparently) and he’s also being interviewed on 5aa tonight, what game did they watch and what universe are they f**king living in?
FULL CLUB PROTECTION MODE ENACTED

Back