Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane Lions

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Yes

• Yes, but to the sub

• Nope, he's staying in

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's more chance of Murphy going out than Curtin coming in if you watched the Snaffle on the weekend, Curtin to my eye looked proppy at different times during that game.
Plenty of things point to him carrying a low level knee injury since pre-season. Would not be surprised to see him get a clean out towards the end of the year.

Because he hasn’t been able to football this year.
And he hasn’t been (until two weeks ago) held accountable for his poor performances.
Whilst I agree that O’Brien has been poor all year, he was OK on Saturday, and we have no real alternatives other than part-timers.

You can’t drop him on that performance.

Whilst I agree that O’Brien has been poor all year, he was OK on Saturday, and we have no real alternatives other than part-timers.

You can’t drop him on that performance.
I would personally bring in Filthy and give him very limited minutes in the ruck given the time he has been out. ROB can at least run the game out and take the bulk of the workload

Absolutely fell off my seat as Rowey and Graham Cornes started their radio spot by totally gushing over Murphy for playing a very good game (his best game for the year apparently) and he’s also being interviewed on 5aa tonight, what game did they watch and what universe are they f**king living in?
Classic Crow Brain. Focusing only on disposal count and literally nothing else

Or is it Rory Laird-itis? Not sure

Hmmmmm.... I guess Hardwick at Richmond was an idiot and so was Clarkson at Hawthorn.

For the sake of this argument - lets remember Murphy averages .7 goals a game.

During Hawthorns dominance - Puopolo averaged .9 goals a game. He was purely in the side as a defensive forward and was bloody good at it. Won 3 flags.

What about during Richmond's dominance? Jason Castagna ring any bells? Averaged similar to Murphy in goals, but was in that stacked forward line as a defensive forward.

What about Bradley Close during Geelong's 2022 premiership season? He in the team for his goals or his defensive pressure?

What about Beau McReery with Collingwood during their premiership run? Ya think he is in for his offensive output.

What about this year - Lachlan Fogarty with Carlton, Switkowski with the Dockers, Kade Chandler with the Demons all in their sides this year as defensive forwards.

I won't risk discussing the idiot response. I don't want to get attacked on here for elder abuse.

Is that the same Puopolo that averaged 2 more disposals than Stephen Milne and one less than Cyril? Honestly, being good at providing defensive function does not mean that a players primary goal is to provide defence. I suppose Cyril was a defensive forward too.

Absolutely fell off my seat as Rowey and Graham Cornes started their radio spot by totally gushing over Murphy for playing a very good game (his best game for the year apparently) and he’s also being interviewed on 5aa tonight, what game did they watch and what universe are they f**king living in?

I listened to that Murphy interview where Rowe asked him to define exactly what his role was, and it was the most incoherent answer I've ever heard.

Either he was trying to be deceptive to protect their top-secret super plan, or he has absolutely no idea what the **** he is supposed to be doing out there.

Some posters have unrealistic expectations about small forwards.

1) Cyril Rioli was rated as one of the all time great small forwards and averaged 15.06 disposals and 1.46 goals per match.

2) Eddie Betts is arguably the best small forward in the history of the AFL. He averaged 12.01 disposals and 1.83 goals per game.

3) Josh Rachele has had a disappointing start to his career (according to some) averaging 14.06 disposals and 1.20 goals per match.

Murphy has averaged 11.70 disposals and 0.67 goals per match. No one would ever consider him a good (let alone great) small forward. His numbers are reasonable but the key issue is that he doesn’t kick the very kickable goals. Did anyone else expect him to miss the set shot in the last quarter?

I believe that Zac Taylor can match Smurph’s production as a high half forward and will kick more goals. Eventually I would like to see Zac as a full-time midfielder resting in the forward pocket (let’s call him a rover) but in the short term he just needs to play AFL.

They said the same thing on the radio after the game, I wondered which game they was watching

People calling in for Curtin to play have not seen him play live. He has not played to the level where he needs to be selected

Taylor has been playing at the level and his skill set is something we lack atm. His kick to Murphy on Saturday night is symptomatic of his ability and what we lack in our team presently. Week after week we bemoan the missing of targets and lack of football smarts in some of our players and Taylor has this in spades

Looking at the ressies smith was clearly the best and should be the next in from that team. Selection integrity is crucial

Strauchnie was also very good but ROB’s form against Briggs was pleasing and he started marking around the ground again. No change here

It is no coincidence that with our CHB FF and Rankine back in the last week or two our performance has improved. Filthy back this week will only help but even though Berg was not over productive his height and difference has also helped in our wins

Looking at the ressies smith was clearly the best and should be the next in from that team. Selection integrity is crucial
After only one game in the twos? And at whose expense? It’s seems entirely likely he’s at a stage now where he’ll do very well in the SANFL but be off the pace at AFL level

A club prioritising the future wouldn’t bring him straight back in (so he’ll be named in the AFL team this Friday)

After only one game in the twos? And at whose expense? It’s seems entirely likely he’s at a stage now where he’ll do very well in the SANFL but be off the pace at AFL level

A club prioritising the future wouldn’t bring him straight back in (so he’ll be named in the AFL team this Friday)
Read carefully bonehilda. He’s next in but that may not be this week.

Realistically, there’s absolutely no chance that anyone other than Himmelberg, Murphy, Cook and Taylor will be dropped this week, and similarly there’s no chance that anyone other than Thilthorpe, Jones or Smith will be coming in.

Personally I think Smith coming in is the least likely of those 7 things. Theres just absolutely no justification or reason to change the defensive unit that lined up against GWS.

Everyone would melt if Taylor was dropped, but Jones replacing him is probably paying $2.0 realistically. Jones is clearly rated internally as a best 22 (or possibly even best 18) player, for reasons that are completely baffling.

Thilthorpe for Himmelberg seems like a no-brainer, but it really comes down to how Thilthorpe pulled up, and whether Burgess thinks he needs another run in the twos.

Anyone with a clue drops Murphy, at least to sub but preferably altogether. Spoiler alert: Nicks has no clue.

Cook had a very quiet one. Would be nice to see him given a full game on a wing, but we won’t. Medium forward is a really tough role to make an impact in, especially if you aren’t a natural “pressure applier”. Not sure what’s going to happen there but a player this skilled just needs to keep playing, and needs to be delivering it inside 50, not hoping someone kicks to him instead of Fog, Thilthorpe or Tex.

Gut feel:

Out:
Himmelberg, Taylor

In:
Thilthorpe, Jones

Sub:
Murphy

Hope I’m wrong. Taylor just so blatantly needs to play regular AFL footy moving forward, and should be prioritised ahead of ALL of Laird, Murphy, Jones, Smith, Pedlar, Schoenberg, McHenry, Hamill and Berry IMO. Kid just has it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Keays is more of a 7th forward.

With TT, FOG, Walker, Rachele, Rankine - we have 5 pretty dangerous forwards. We can rotate Pedlar, Keays through there as well - but we really lack a pressure forward.

Ideally in a challenging side - Keays would come off the bench. Can play a tagging role, pinch hit in the midfield, make a cheating defender honest through his work rate.

Would love a Cameron type (why not, AA etc) to supplement our forwards. We would be unstoppable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I haven’t heard Murphy speak much but he interviewed really well. Confidently - football aside I can see where he is seen to have leadership qualities

Obviously when the core business is football though you have to be pretty good at that too…

I haven’t heard Murphy speak much but he interviewed really well. Confidently - football aside I can see where he is seen to have leadership qualities

Obviously when the core business is football though you have to be pretty good at that too…

The world is full of those who say the right things or the perceived right things.

When they back this up with actions, then yes, you may have a leader.

When the actions and words don't match you have a pretender or an imitator, but definitely not a leader.

Yeah I heard this as well and cringed through that entire exchange, was super annoying.

I would personally bring in Filthy and give him very limited minutes in the ruck given the time he has been out. ROB can at least run the game out and take the bulk of the workload
Is bringing TT back really worth the risk? I'd be giving him another week or 2 in the SANFL personally, and I definitely wouldn't be playing him in the ruck at any level for the rest of the year.

We need him to get through the rest of the year unscathed.

Is bringing TT back really worth the risk? I'd be giving him another week or 2 in the SANFL personally, and I definitely wouldn't be playing him in the ruck at any level for the rest of the year.

We need him to get through the rest of the year unscathed.
Nah we want him to get some form and confidence.
Don’t want him finding his feet through the first 2 months of next year.
Just leave him at FF

Yes that's literally the problem.....

I want to see what he can do, I'm not interested in him being hidden away at full back in the SANFL.
have a look at this from the weekend - go to around 1 minute 45. Curtin gets the ball in the middle strides forward and nails a perfect kick inside forward 50 into the breeze - gollant does not break stride

People calling in for Curtin to play have not seen him play live. He has not played to the level where he needs to be selected

Taylor has been playing at the level and his skill set is something we lack atm. His kick to Murphy on Saturday night is symptomatic of his ability and what we lack in our team presently. Week after week we bemoan the missing of targets and lack of football smarts in some of our players and Taylor has this in spades

Strauchnie was also very good but ROB’s form against Briggs was pleasing and he started marking around the ground again. No change here

It is no coincidence that with our CHB FF and Rankine back in the last week or two our performance has improved. Filthy back this week will only help but even though Berg was not over productive his h0eight and difference has also helped in our wins
The problem with our selection 'integrity' (do we actually have any?) is that the experienced players like Smith for example only have to go back to SANFL and have one decent game and come straight back in, whereas youngsters like Dowling and Taylor not only have to play well for multiple weeks, they also have to rely on a injury to be selected. I'm all for a young player having to earn his spot in the team, but at the same time experienced players also have to earn their spot in the team, it shouldn't be a given just because of experience.

I'll be surprised if Taylor isn't out this week for Smith, or even Jones, despite showing plenty of promise in his one quarter. (FWIW I'm not surprised that Taylor started sub since he was a late inclusion).

Nah we want him to get some form and confidence.
Don’t want him finding his feet through the first 2 months of next year.
Just leave him at FF
Hence I said to play him for another week or 2 in the SANFL. We definitely can't afford to have him playing SANFL for the rest of the year. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My point is there's no need to rush him back in after one game in SANFL, especially as he was on limited minutes last week too. Let him get some confidence in his knee first, then unleash him in the AFL.

Back