Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane Lions

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Yes

• Yes, but to the sub

• Nope, he's staying in

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hence I said to play him for another week or 2 in the SANFL. We definitely can't afford to have him playing SANFL for the rest of the year. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My point is there's no need to rush him back in after one game in SANFL, especially as he was on limited minutes last week too. Let him get some confidence in his knee first, then unleash him in the AFL.
Yeah slightly misread, thought you were suggesting no AFL this year.

It'll be Thilthorpe for Berg and Taylor for a full game, Berry to sub.
When I read the above, I thought exactly the same as:
Berry to sub? WTF
but surprised. Berry was solid on Saturday night (11K/10H/21D, 7 tackles).

Thilthorpe for EH is a given, but I expect that Nicks will also go:
Jones (if fit) straight back in (continuity/experience/shape), Taylor OUT :grimacing: and no other changes.

Nicks won't be dropping his try-hard, 'Leader' Murphy and will want to reward a winning side.

Some posters have unrealistic expectations about small forwards.

1) Cyril Rioli was rated as one of the all time great small forwards and averaged 15.06 disposals and 1.46 goals per match.

2) Eddie Betts is arguably the best small forward in the history of the AFL. He averaged 12.01 disposals and 1.83 goals per game.

3) Josh Rachele has had a disappointing start to his career (according to some) averaging 14.06 disposals and 1.20 goals per match.

Murphy has averaged 11.70 disposals and 0.67 goals per match. No one would ever consider him a good (let alone great) small forward. His numbers are reasonable but the key issue is that he doesn’t kick the very kickable goals. Did anyone else expect him to miss the set shot in the last quarter?

I believe that Zac Taylor can match Smurph’s production as a high half forward and will kick more goals. Eventually I would like to see Zac as a full-time midfielder resting in the forward pocket (let’s call him a rover) but in the short term he just needs to play AFL.
Ideally the stats should also include goal assists. A small forward who can hit up a team mate for a set shot with 1-3 of their 10-12 disposals per game is worth a helluva lot more than one that nearly always kicks to opponent or OOTF.

Expectations are always low when Murphy or McHenry have the ball.

Ideally the stats should also include goal assists. A small forward who can hit up a team mate for a set shot with 1-3 of their 10-12 disposals per game is worth a helluva lot more than one that nearly always kicks to opponent or OOTF.

Expectations are always low when Murphy or McHenry have the ball.
Rachele racks up score involvements like nobody's business but nobody ever seems to mention it.

Worth remembering that Taylor was rated top 20 in his draft year, considered to have one of if not outright the best kick in the entire crop. I'd imagine durability, fitness and size would be the reasons he slid so far. He's done his time and just deserves to play a block of games. I wouldn't be surprised of he eventually drops off, but he just has to stay this week.

Sometimes I wonder if we’re all watching the same fxxkn games..
Everybody watches them through their own particular biases. You hate Laird and Keays and your viewing always highlights their mistakes never their positives (for example). I tell you after having been away for the last month that the negative bias in here is overwhelming (and justifiably so) however there were many of you actively barracking for a loss last weekend and with that I shake my head.

Last edited:
When I read the above, I thought exactly the same as:

but surprised. Berry was solid on Saturday night (11K/10H/21D, 7 tackles).

Thilthorpe for EH is a given, but I expect that Nicks will also go:
Jones (if fit) straight back in (continuity/experience/shape), Taylor OUT :grimacing: and no other changes.

Nicks won't be dropping his try-hard, 'Leader' Murphy and will want to reward a winning side.
It's no knock on Berry. I think he was pretty good and certainly providing more in-and-under pressure value than Laird.

We just have a habit of making strange calls about the sub that don't reward on field performance.

Maybe we'll make Taylor do it twice in a row! Maybe we'll bring in Brodie Smith :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody watches them through their own particular biases. You hate Laird and Keays and your viewing always highlights their mistakes never their positives (for example). I tell you after having been away for the last month that the negative bias in here is overwhelming (and justifiably so) however there were many of you actively barracking for a loss last weekend and with that I shake my head.
But it’s not just that is it, they are wanting what they believe is best long term for their club.
The opposite view is that people wanting to win meaningless matches don’t want their club to give themselves the best chance to win a flag. (Obviously it’s not that black and white)
It’s similar to people wanting players to come in earlier than they are ready because they believe it will be best long term for them, even if it’s not the best for them or the team in the short term.
But ultimately everyone here wants us to win a flag but have different opinions on how we need to get there.
I’m sure you’ve heard of 1 step back, 2 steps forward.

Last edited:
But it’s not just that is it, they are wanting what they believe is best long term for their club.
The opposite view is that people wanting to win meaningless matches don’t want their club to give themselves the best chance to win a flag. (Obviously it’s not that black and white)
It’s similar to people wanting players to come in earlier than they are ready because they believe it will be best long term for them, even if it’s not the best for them or the team in the short term.
But ultimately everyone here wants us to win a flag but have different opinions on how we need to get there.
I’m sure you’ve heard of 2 steps forward 1 step back.

Shakes head

TT in for Berg, Taylor to start a full game, Chef to play as the sub for a week.

If Chayce tweaked his back he should take 2 weeks to get cherry ripe before being considered. The last thing I want is a fringe player going at 80%.

Tbh one of Murphy/McHenry kind of have to play because our other smalls/half forwards don’t apply enough pressure, especially with Rankine playing an offensive role. Murphy was disgraceful by foot though.
Murphy's defensive forward pressure role is a myth.

He is a stoppage mid, accumulates with defensive pressure stat in stoppage congestion.

And if he is playing the defensive forward role, he is bad at it. 13 Pressure acts and 1 tackle inside 50 last week.

Keays had 3 I50 tackles with 20 PA, and plays a genuine forward role ie has goal sense.

Murphy is a mid. Just not good enough at AFL level.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't bring Jones straight back in anyway, his form doesn't warrant an auto selection
This is the most telling selection of the week for me.

Jones isn't silly. He would have seen Dowling settling in well and Taylor get a taste on Saturday. He will be desperate to get back in this week. Don't want the competitors for your role getting a leg up or the coaching staff to get a glimpse of some alternatives.

What will we do? Jones' form has been steady but unspectacular. There's no need for him to be treated as an auto recall, particularly given where we sit on the table.

Fwiw I think Jones should work on being a back pocket lockdown defender. He's tough, has speed, disciplined. Lacks the flair or smarts to be a damaging midfielder imho but has some strengths we can utilise. Offers a bit of rebound too.

We need Murphy out of the side.... what a spud.
Put Laird in the back pocket or half back.
I very much doubt we will pick Curtin.... wouldn't we be too tall?
Butts, Keane, Murray, Walker, Berg, O'Brien and Fogs.....

Back