Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

ROB 7/52 taps to advantage
Himmelberg & Thilthorpe 3/12 taps to advantage... much higher rate!
Marshall 12/47

Time to try the Berg & TT combo.

Yes. It does give an insight though as to who the big Murphy fan is and why he’s still on the team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murphy benefits due to the leadership/experience/continuity philosophy. Games that would result in junior players being dropped are excused because of the rubbish intangibles. And then excuses like 'shape keeping' and 'non-statistical' roles get trotted out as further selection excuses. It's Crows' strategy 101.

ROB 7/52 taps to advantage
Himmelberg & Thilthorpe 3/12 taps to advantage... much higher rate!
Marshall 12/47

Time to try the Berg & TT combo.

Not sure I'd be keen for TT to do too much rucking in dead rubbers after longish injury. And doubt that Berg has the grunt required to jostle for position for a large portion of the game. Just think we'd be setting the trial up for fail if they can't do 50:50 ruck, which I wouldn't want TT doing. Maybe in a month?

Thilthorpe for Himmelberg and Murphy or Smithers the sub.

Hinge? Assuming he's good, will be interesting call re Bond or Smith. TT in is a given and Berg to 2s should happen, he's done alright again though. But Smith must be out, play Jones or give Ryan a debut at half back if Hinge isn't right. If we were to drop Murphy out of the 22, I'd go all the way and give Schoey some game time to resurrect his career. We're stuck with Murphy for 2025 and we know he maxxes out at poor quality depth.

Hinge? Assuming he's good, will be interesting call re Bond or Smith. TT in is a given and Berg to 2s should happen, he's done alright again though. But Smith must be out, play Jones or give Ryan a debut at half back if Hinge isn't right. If we were to drop Murphy out of the 22, I'd go all the way and give Schoey some game time to resurrect his career. We're stuck with Murphy for 2025 and we know he maxxes out at poor quality depth.
Surprisingly I don’t disagree with any of this. Forgot about Hinge. Berg definitely unlucky but he was always warming the seat until TT came good. Smith out for Hinge I can live with. Do we have an Essendon player that needs shutting down? Be interesting to see what Bond can do if he doesn’t have a lock down role.

Ins: Hinge, Curtin
Outs: Murphy, O’Brien

Smith sub

B: Bond, Butts, Keane
HB: Michaelanny, Murray, Nankervis
C: Sholl, Soligo, Dowling
HF: Rachele, Fogarty, Dawson
F: Walker, Thilthorpe, Keays
R: Himmelberg, Curtin, Laird
I: Hinge, Berry, Cook, Taylor
Sub: Smith

Berg can do 70% rucking.

Would like to see us change Dawson & Curtin on ball/up forward.

Rotate plenty through the middle.

B: Bond, Butts, Keane
HB: Michaelanny, Murray, Nankervis
C: Sholl, Soligo, Dowling
HF: Rachele, Fogarty, Dawson
F: Walker, Thilthorpe, Keays
R: Himmelberg, Curtin, Laird
I: Hinge, Berry, Cook, Taylor
Sub: Smith

Berg can do 70% rucking.

Would like to see us change Dawson & Curtin on ball/up forward.

Rotate plenty through the middle.
Yep my side to.

I've been a huge defender of Rachele and still think he has elite level potential, but after watching him closely, he needs to be dropped.
He is still avoiding contact. He looks confused and unsure. He also lets his player run off him far too easily.

I'd send him back to the SANFL and have him play midfield. I'd tell him to go back to playing on instinct, to winning his own ball and to working hard both ways.
Do that and he can come back in.

He's been supported and backed in long enough. Time for him to take it up and earn his spot.

I've been a huge defender of Rachele and still think he has elite level potential, but after watching him closely, he needs to be dropped.
He is still avoiding contact. He looks confused and unsure. He also lets his player run off him far too easily.

I'd send him back to the SANFL and have him play midfield. I'd tell him to go back to playing on instinct, to winning his own ball and to working hard both ways.
Do that and he can come back in.

He's been supported and backed in long enough. Time for him to take it up and earn his spot.

Why would they tell him to go back and play on instinct? The goal of our development is to crush the instinctive nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if we would put Michalannay on Merrett to quieten him down.

Last time they used Draper and Goldstein against us. This weeks team was only Draper and Wright. Dunno if we should have 3 talls (ROB/Berg/TT) strategy from last week if its only Draper and Wright but if Goldstein gets named I'd def keep it.

Pity we haven't got Rankine. Least we should get Hinge back. I would love us to nail these pretenders.

Wonder if we would put Michalannay on Merrett to quieten him down.

Last time they used Draper and Goldstein against us. This weeks team was only Draper and Wright. Dunno if we should have 3 talls (ROB/Berg/TT) strategy from last week if its only Draper and Wright but if Goldstein gets named I'd def keep it.

Pity we haven't got Rankine. Least we should get Hinge back. I would love us to nail these pretenders.
Bond appears to be capable

I really hope Rachele has a massive game this week. The last Friday night game against Essendon is where the national spotlight turned on him. He’s still had a decent season since, but it’s definitely impacted him and having a big game against that same team on the big stage will be huge for his confidence.

Murphy has very good Footy IQ. That is why they like him. Also, the reason he got into the AFL

Unfortunately, his physical skills are not AFL quality, and now is the time he plays more SANFL as we have some quality younger guys.

Murphy's value should be as Reserves captain in a player/coach role.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does he have good Footy IQ?

How is this assessed?

Does he have good Footy IQ?

How is this assessed?
Yeah, I don't get that one.

More like honest trier who just doesn't have the necessary skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back