Preview R21 Elimination Final: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG (A), Sunday 13th, 1:10pm AEST *Brown's 150th*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media have fawned over us? Don't start taking that line, the media consensus definitely had the Saints slightly higher than the Dees pre-round 1 (As did I).

We must have played a lot of grand finals this year then. Saints, Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood, Adelaide, WCE....

No need to get so sensitive. I merely meant that you guys came out in round 1 determined to break the hoodoo of losing at Etihad and the winning streak we held over you. And you did both, so kudos to you.

Regarding the media, I'm talking about during the season, when they have talked you up plenty...talking about top 4 and even "doing a Doggies" and winning the lot.

Bar our win over GWS we have been a lot more under the radar, which I actually prefer.

I think, our teams being on a similar trajectory so to speak, our rivalry is going to grow and it's going to be a good one.

Media have fawned over us? Don't start taking that line, the media consensus definitely had the Saints slightly higher than the Dees pre-round 1 (As did I).

We must have played a lot of grand finals this year then. Saints, Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood, Adelaide, WCE....

Melbourne is the media darlings. Deal with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to win 3 whatever happens. With our percentage a draw this week is a win. I understand we don't pass Melbourne now but I stand by 13 wins gets you in with a pathetic percentage. 12 and half is the same. To many sides play each other for 13 wins not to get you in. I don't care if we are in this week. I want to be in at the end of round 23. I don't think it happens but a draw or a win suits us IMO.
Dear Plugger

Whilst I can appreciate your logic, you seem to have overlooked the fact that if we did draw with Melbourne, unlikely though it may be, we may still be in the race but then Melbourne would also have a draw to it's name

Kilroy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garry Colling was hopeless

Agree. Last Q of the 1971 GF. 20 points up at ¾ time and then Keddie singlehandedly wins the game playing on Colling. At that point in time both clubs had 1 flag and I am convinced that our destiny for the next 40 plus years was shaped that day. Look at what Hawthorn have achieved since.

Win that game and we would have 5 or maybe even more flags in the bank and would not be subject to the scorn and ridicule we are today.

I’ll never forgive or forget.

Agree. Last Q of the 1971 GF. 20 points up at ¾ time and then Keddie singlehandedly wins the game playing on Colling. At that point in time both clubs had 1 flag and I am convinced that our destiny for the next 40 plus years was shaped that day. Look at what Hawthorn have achieved since.

Win that game and we would have 5 or maybe even more flags in the bank and would not be subject to the scorn and ridicule we are today.

Yes, to a certain extent, but I'm not sure what effect the result of the 1971 Grand Final had on giving the Mornington Peninsula to Hawthorn's zone.

Matthews, Brereton, Mew...

Hawthorn's success was bought upon by zoning.

Melbourne is the media darlings. Deal with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not having a crack at you 2 blokes at all. Just using that conversation as an example.
Shits me a bit how clubs , coaches and quite a few supporters are keen to always offload expectations or favouritism.
Embrace it I say. I hate when a mid range side plays a bottom side and you can bet your arse the coach will say something like " they are a dangerous side and we'll need to be on our game to beat em"
Bullshit! Stop being scared of a media backlash and just say. " they have been struggling this yr and we've been going ok so if we are fair dinkum we really should have a good win.".
If clubs are worried about the backlash from losing to a lower club then don't bloody lose to a shit team. No need to go full on Ess or Carl type arrogance LOL but a bit of self assured confidence goes a long way.
A few weeks ago the media was talking up the Dees as a top 5 or 4 side. They are just above us this yr and are playing us at their home .
They should be favourites no problem . And their supporters should be cocky.
Doesn't mean we aren't gonna come out and smash em though:D

You want Carlisle back considering the dearth of key forwards likely to draw him away from the ball. It would make more sense to drop Brown and bring in a completely different player.

Here's a thought, Gilbert in for Roo, he goes back, Carlisle goes forward. Thoughts?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What is the fascination in moving a player in good form in a certain position hoping he does ok in another position. It wont and shouldn't happen.

Here's a thought, Gilbert in for Roo, he goes back, Carlisle goes forward. Thoughts?

rewatched the game and really like the way Jake lurches up and down the field playing predominantly back but with ticket to go forward on his judgement but not deep. so personally I wouldn't want to see this changed as reckon it's totally effective as it is and think his confidence in the backline reverberates throughout the team.

also noted our overhead game is improving with Acres, Steele, White, Billings and Gresham all aerially combative, most noticeably Gresh while not taking marks was presenting and bringing ball to ground. more strings to bows.

What is the fascination in moving a player in good form in a certain position hoping he does ok in another position. It wont and shouldn't happen.

No fascination, a friend just mentioned it and it got me thinking about it, I do honestly think he'd be our best forward if he played there, happy with him back though of course he's been in great form there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back