AFL Autopsy R8: 5 point loss to the Powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point, but who else did we have with any height to send back?

Yep, I look forward to a forward line with a fit and firing Wright, Langford, Stringer and Weiderman. If we do play all four of them, Stringer will have to pinch-hit in the midfield and Weiderman will have to be the backup ruck. Add Tippa to the mix and rotate mids through there (Davey, Perkins and Caldwell). It is building to something potent. Like a 19-year-old in the morning after drinking 10 Guinness the night before, as well as a kebab on the way home.

That could be up and running by the end of the year. The backline is another issue though. We're still struggling to have genuine height back there. BZT is most likely playing sore ankles and isn't as dynamic as he was earlier and with Laverde and Ridely, we're going to be exposed next week.

Our ability to run and carry is disappearing late in games
We missed a lot of targets by hand or bullet a 1m pass to someone under the same amount of pressure
More broken tackles in the last few weeks which can be zone-breaking
Interesting to see who is next in line for KPD now that Ridley and Laverde are injured, maybe Reid?
Is Bryan far off being picked instead of Phillips?

Our bottom 5 or 6 hurt us week in week out today
Hind - just doesn't do enough
Caldwell - I just don't see what he brings he should be better
sheil - has never played a complete game
Davey - not his fault but not ready yet
Menzies - surely Voss would offer more

(Normally put heppel in there but I thought he was OK, it is his last year though)

The side is lacking a bonafied superstar, we have nobody in the side that says come on fella jump on my back and I will get us home. It is also desperate that we get a KPP full back. It's time to open that war chest
Half our injuries are our KPP defenders at the moment - Stewart, Laverde, Reid, Cox and now Ridley.

Our bottom 5 or 6 hurt us week in week out today
Hind - just doesn't do enough
Caldwell - I just don't see what he brings he should be better
sheil - has never played a complete game
Davey - not his fault but not ready yet
Menzies - surely Voss would offer more

(Normally put heppel in there but I thought he was OK, it is his last year though)

The side is lacking a bonafied superstar, we have nobody in the side that says come on fella jump on my back and I will get us home. It is also desperate that we get a KPP full back. It's time to open that war chest
If you can’t see what Caldwell brings you need to watch closer unfortunately

At this rate Parish will leave

2023 is effectively another year of nothing

Best load up on draft picks I guess

What did you think this year would be?
Top 4 and winning finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have won it in the end. Ridley stays on and we win that. All our defensive talls except Zerk out,we had to move our most dangerous forward back to cover Ridley. Could have folded last qtr but didn’t. Scott building a great base
Not sure that’s right.

We got smashed at the contest in 2nd and 3rd quarters which nothing to do with Ridley being off.

Margin flattering? Or just a reflection that we weren’t allowing Port to mark the ball directly in front of goal?
No flattering. They missed plenty centrally. They should have had minimum another 4 and it doesnt matter where you give up shots. The best teams will slot them.

Ridley not being concussed and subbed out in the 2nd quarter means Essendon wins today.
We really need some kind of sinbin in AFL. This would be a prime example for it.

On a brighter note, Essendon sure has improved as a team. We lost to them by 84 points last time.

Major issue I had was we had lots of guys not go for the high balls.

The amount of times a port guy marked a high ball surrounded by three or four Essendon players all looking at each other was far too much.
If you cast your mind back to the first few rounds you might recall how we always seemed to have a player at the marking contest behind the ball, ready to crumb and go forward. I think it might be how we've been programmed to position, waiting for that taller player to contest the mark. Maybe we haven't adapted.

Lots of what happened last week other than we did not get jumped. Bigger bodies got on top in the end and as I have been saying forever we are a poor marking side through the middle. We can never take control of the game when we need to. It is not a new issue. Our rucks have sucked as far as being marking targets go since Ryder left.
Effort good. Just not at top 4 level. It is bloody annoying but it is where we are at.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy R8: 5 point loss to the Powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back