Ratten's Future

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton loses and are out in the fisrt week of the finals then I would say he would still get an extension unless Malthouse is interested. Other than Malthouse there aren't any coaches that are worth replacing Ratten with who are availiable.

Yes, Ratten will be fine. Carlton have not over or underachieved. They are a decent run with injuries, a centerman a tall forward and a ruckman who can contribute up forward away from a premiership.

With a full side we are top 4 material but have been struck down with injury. We are and have been taking steps forward every year for a long time, now to keep it going.

Would be unfair to sack him on the result of one game in my opinion but this game just means so much for them. Lose and they continue a terribly worrying trend. Pressure is huge.

Why would Carlton sack Ratten if (and it's a pretty big if!) Carlton get knocked out of the finals in the first week?

Look at the Eagles:

2002: Knocked out in first week
2003: Knocked out in first week
2004: Knocked out in first week
2005: Runners-up
2006: Premiers

We never sacked Woosha after 2004. Hell, we didn't sack him after 2010 and look where we are now :)

If the coaches have prepared to the best of their ability, but the players stuffed up like Waite, Garlett and Armfield did last year, why would we sack Ratten?

Kreuzer is nowhere near 100% after coming back from a knee reconstruction.

Waite is up against to play again this year and give us a marking forward.

The coach who got Carlton into the top five minus Jamison, Waite, Laidler, Kreuzer, Russell, Henderson and Hampson for large part of the season deserves another contract.

All would be in our best 22.

Winning without Laidler, Henderson and Hampson? Wowser, sign this bloke up! 10 years minimum!

If Carlton loses and are out in the fisrt week of the finals then I would say he would still get an extension unless Malthouse is interested. Other than Malthouse there aren't any coaches that are worth replacing Ratten with who are availiable.

Pretty much, in the unlikely event of:

1. Carlton losing badly to Essendon.
2. Mick M putting his hand up to coach.

I wouldn't rule it out, but even then it's likely Ratten would continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They traded in Judd, got an obscene amount of number 1 draft picks, a bunch of top 10 picks and are still no closer to a flag.

Actually, I'm curious as to why Ross Lyon doesn't get more scrutinised by you folk for the exact same reasons.
I doubt Malthouse is the solution to take Carlton to a flag. The list in it's current form should improve next year whether they are coached by Ratten or MM.
My guess is that Ratten will keep his spot plus the fact that the players want him there

Heard Swan on SEN a few weeks back all but assure Ratten's future. Win lose or draw Carlton are happy with what he has done this year and the progress the side has made. Ratten will get a (probably 2 year) deal.

Actually, I'm curious as to why Ross Lyon doesn't get more scrutinised by you folk for the exact same reasons.
I doubt Malthouse is the solution to take Carlton to a flag. The list in it's current form should improve next year whether they are coached by Ratten or MM.
My guess is that Ratten will keep his spot plus the fact that the players want him there

Ross Lyon? For what? He got St Kilda to the grand final 2 years in a row.

A loss in week one again will heap the pressure on Ratten from media and fans alike, but I think the Club knows where it is heading.

Despite the Carlton hatred from most sectors, Ratten has improved the side little by little every year he has been in charge. Two galling losses in finals have made him and the team easy pickings for naysayers, yet a little fortune and we would have won both - interstate.

We 'should' have finished in the Top 4 this season, and you get the feeling from 2012 onwards the Blues will be a genuine and serious premiership threat for a few years.

The Essendon game is 'must win' in terms of getting the monkey off the back and instilling a bit more belief in the group. We're a good team, but no Carlton fan believed that we'd win it this year. Still, get over the Bombers and we could easily make a Prelim against an ageing Geelong, then who knows?

In summation, Ratten will keep his job but no-one can deny the deserved scrutiny he'll be under if we go out in week one again. At some stage you've got to stop talking about the future and start delivering.

It's nice and easy to say it comes down to one game, but even ardent Carlton haters would admit the Blues are a much stronger outfit this year than the past two. Ratten has the Blues in good shape. A loss in the first final would be hugely disappointing, but not really an accurate reflection of the year's performance.

I think we've fundamentally got our recruiting backwards over the past ~7 years which is why we're chock full of midfielders ready to dominate but have no imposing options at either end of the ground. That said, the Blues' window opens next year. It won't be open for long, but it will open. And I think Ratten has the Blues only a huge Kreuzer September, or a Waite special away from a GF/flag tilt. That's not happening this year... but Judd, Murphy, Simpson, etc will get the Blues deep again next year.

A bit of clever trading or recruitment this offseason could be the final piece.

I stand by my tip, that Ratten gets extended, and probably BEFORE the Essendon game to indicate the club's confidence and commitment.

As a matter of interest how many neutral supporters picked Carlton to win their final in 2009 & 2010?

Both games were against teams who finished higher and were played interstate and both games were lost by under a goal.

They have had a stack of number 1 picks & a stack of 1st round draft picks that should be coming into their prime. You would think if Carlton loses their 3rd final in a row in the space of 3 seasons, then no improvement, or only insignificant improve has been made over 3 years. He will surely get the sack if Carlton lose to Essendon in a week and a half.

A lot of pressure is on him and he would be very aware of it.

Umm and don't forget the best player in the land.

They will lynch ratten if it's a quick exit again.

If we lose the EF, and I don't think we will, then Ratts can go. I'd be happy with Eade, reckon he is a good coach who has taken his teams beyond their talent.

A new coach won't make a massive difference, but 5-10% can be significant. If we don't get a flag in the next 3-4 yrs then it might be a long wait. By 2016 GC will be a powerhouse, the draft will have been crap for 3 years, and Juddy will be 30+. Whoever is coach in 2012 needs to be taking us forward quickly

Not so black & white as 'win a final or you're out' Carlton's improvement this year is fairly obvious, to bring in a new coach like a Roos or Malthouse with a new gameplan would just mean starting from scratch.

I'm obviously not 'happy' to lose another final in the first week but I don't think a new coach is the answer.

Not so black & white as 'win a final or you're out' Carlton's improvement this year is fairly obvious, to bring in a new coach like a Roos or Malthouse with a new gameplan would just mean starting from scratch.

I'm obviously not 'happy' to lose another final in the first week but I don't think a new coach is the answer.

What about if we don't win a final next year as well? would you then say move him on? why not now if he fails?

Crying out loud we will be maximum missing one of our best 30 players come the first final playing a side we beat by 13 goals, if we cannot win that then he should fall on his sword.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten's Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back