Preview Rd 1 Geelong V Collingwood Fri March 17 2023 740 pm @ MCG

Predicted winner & margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the game is all sold out, including restricted view and a few bays at the back of mcc which they opened to the public.

With geelong’s lack of reserve seat members at the mcg, it might actually hit 90,000+.

General admission seats are (according to mcg website):

Shane Warne Stand
  • Q1-Q15 (rows R-DD)

Ponsford Stand
  • Q31-Q36 (rows AA-MM)

Let’s not forget who called the flag a long way from home last year godfather!
It's not the prediction. It's the general tone of "oh they better not choke, it'd be awful if they stuff this up, I'd hate this bad thing happening or this one". There might be elements of truth in that being favourite you still need to perform but you almost seem to put the idea out that doom and gloom is around the corner, which is just unnecessary.

Last edited:
Neale isn't on the Injured List. So could he debut if no Tomahawk?

JHenry and Kolo most likely out, so looks like SavRat and SDK as the pillars of defence... Stewart and Zuthrie as third talls, probably MOC would be a versatile option to have in this week. You'd think Bruhn, Bowes and OHenry are starters as well.

I love the smell of napalm melts in the morning. The season’s first!

For the tray:

B: Tuohy De Koning Bews
HB: Stewart Ratugolea Z.Guthrie
C: Smith Bruhn Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Close
F: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
R: Stanley Dangerfield C.Guthrie
Int: Atkins Parfitt O’Connor O.Henry S.Simpson (sub)

Neale isn't on the Injured List. So could he debut if no Tomahawk?

JHenry and Kolo most likely out, so looks like SavRat and SDK as the pillars of defence... Stewart and Zuthrie as third talls, probably MOC would be a versatile option to have in this week. You'd think Bruhn, Bowes and OHenry are starters as well.

It's good that Neale's not on the injury list, but he won't be making his debut on Friday night regardless

He played 2 games last year with his debut being against the Crows

It was a definitive statement.

Don't know if it's a personal opinion or of specific Intel however.
I took it as their opinion, but i didn't notice Jacks contribution above. He normally does have good mail. It just seems like Ollie would need to be played out of position if the others play. Interesting to see what comes out tonight.

I took it as their opinion, but i didn't notice Jacks contribution above. He normally does have good mail. It just seems like Ollie would need to be played out of position if the others play. Interesting to see what comes out tonight.

Ollie will be in for a tough night if he plays.

I saw one of the Pie's players talking about how they'll want to 'put him off his game' should he play, so I've no doubt they'll go hard at him.

Cameron did say our boys would get around him, so it seems they're anticipating some physicality too.

Personally would be surprised if we risk Hawk tomorrow.

Interrupted pre-season, no game time, foot injury and in his 30's. He's too valuable to risk in the middle of March. And after we managed players to perfection last year, to play him tomorrow would go against everything we did right last year.

Of course I hope he plays well if he does play, but I reckon we play the long game with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interrupted pre-season, no game time, foot injury and in his 30's. He's too valuable to risk in the middle of March. And after we managed players to perfection last year, to play him tomorrow would go against everything we did right last year.

Of course I hope he plays well if he does play, but I reckon we play the long game with him.
That does seem like the wise option. Then again, if he's cherry ripe, you gotta play the guy. Assuming he'll be managed more this year with the intention that he's still rolling at the end of the season if finals are a chance for us. I do feel like we can be a little more conservative with Hawk and Paddy this season. Even without Hawk and Cameron, the forwardline, crazily enough, is still good enough to get the better of Collingwood. Stengle, Close, Rohan, Henry, with the option of rotating Blicavs/Stanley in there as a tall option - that's not bad with your two best out. Not sure if I'm off-base here, but really the only significant need for talls in the Grand Final came in the opening quarter when Hawk kicked those big ruck goals. The rest of the scoring came from fast-paced groundball action, uncontested marks by small guys and back-half turnovers caused by mids and forwards. Then again, maybe that day was just a bit of an outlier?

Play him if he's fit, he's already had his season's worth of bludge-time during the pre-season.

Looks like the game is all sold out, including restricted view and a few bays at the back of mcc which they opened to the public.

With geelong’s lack of reserve seat members at the mcg, it might actually hit 90,000+.

General admission seats are (according to mcg website):

Shane Warne Stand
  • Q1-Q15 (rows R-DD)

Ponsford Stand
  • Q31-Q36 (rows AA-MM)
I checked the Carlton Geelong game ticketing for next Thursday. I have all Geelong games home and away games membership. Its a Carlton home game. Seems like there are no tickets available unless you pay a $38.00 upgrade. Is this correct??? Paying for membership and expecting access with seating would be a given. Upgrading and paying $38 is not right. Thoughts and advice??

For the tray:

Holmes confirmed out?

If I have heard it once , I have heard it 20 times .... about Collingwood in the qual final last year ... blah, blah, blah ...

Very little is said about how Geelong winning when under self impossed pressure. The other factor is .... both games last year the Pies had the chance..they were in front and in control. Hardly anything has been said about them losing it... how we copped it against Richmond.

Pies will be better imo. but it was obvious in that Qual game Geelong were tight. Pies were a part of it but a lot of it was internal. The history f the first final..the history of coming off the bye. I highly doubt that the Pies would have been the Swans in the GF...but the way we played they would have been a long way behind us. 6 goals min.

New year

Geelong in this game will be further from their best than the Pies. Im not that fussed on the result as we know as well as anyone... that Flags are not won in March ..and won after 25 games have been played.

Our next group is Carlton, Suns, Hawks, Eagles. ... then the Swans. Id expect we will be starting to hist our stride by the Swans game. Till then ..I expect us to be a little clunky. If we win in this period it will be less than we will be at year end.

Pies shoudl be fav yet I still feel we might prevail. In truth ...we really do not know what we are till we start playing.

The underlying confidence that the group would have now would be more beneficial than the much talked about hunger drop off. Geelong will not panic or be overly worried... and it may mean they prevail with steadiness. The wild card for us is the under group that did not play in the GF Holmes, Henry , Bruhn , Sav .. and there will be others. They will not be sitting back in fat gut comfort. They will be drought hungry cats .. scratching around for any lazy bird that flys too low.

For the tray:

No Holmes no Bowes we are strong in that area.

Normally I would have expected either Kolo or Henry to have the shut down role on De Gouey. I think having both out is a big hole. Looks like we will probably be missing 5 of last years best 22 (if rumour on Holmes is correct). Chris Scott has said Hawkins to play. Collingwood look to have virtually a full list available and I expect them to be very hungry. Will be a huge effort if we get within 20-30 points

Outs Ins

Selwood Bruhn
Kolo O'Connor ( O.Henry on interchange)
J. Henry Sav
Duncan Bowes

Simpson or Whyte for sub

Last edited:
Think they've already said that's their plan.

Cameron countered by saying they'd get around him.

Going to be a torrid night for him I reckon. Could get fiery.
It’s amazing the class difference between clubs.

Krueger goes from Geelong to Pies after being OOC with minimal of fuss and punching on over draft picks, whilst Henry does the same in the opposite direction and you’d swear he was hitting on half the clubs girls the way they are carrying on.

I hope Ollie kicks the winning goal after the siren to an extremely dubious free kick.

It’s amazing the class difference between clubs.

Krueger goes from Geelong to Pies after being OOC with minimal of fuss and punching on over draft picks, whilst Henry does the same in the opposite direction and you’d swear he was hitting on half the clubs girls the way they are carrying on.

I hope Ollie kicks the winning goal after the siren to an extremely dubious free kick.

I reckon they're blaming him for stealing their false teeth, and I'd love to see him kicking the winning goal after the siren.

Boy oh boy, wowee, there'd be some gnashing of the gums amongst the Pie ferals if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back