Preview Rd 1 - Prematch Discussion - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - 7:50 Fri 30/3/12 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it for ch7 ? , I thought the time changes were for FOX , 1.10 on Sunday then twighlight matches .
Most of the day time changes were for Fox, but the Friday Night change was for 7, no idea why thoug as their coverage will still start at 7.30 anyway.:confused:

I just think the punters could be in for a shock. By my count the Pies have ZERO players missing from their ten most important; Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Ball, Jolly, Reid, Shaw, Thomas, Dawes and Harry. The Hawks are missing Roughead, Baily and Gilham, that is 3 of their 10 most important players structurally. sure we are missing more of our bottom 11, like maybe 7: Krak, Didz. Johnno, Taz, Maxy, Beams and Wellers but I would rather that than missing top liners.

I reckon the Hawks are a good chance to be this years Bulldogs 2011, therabouts the previous year with lots of injuries, flying in the pre-season, so everyone makes the simple prediction: This team is due, they will play for a flag; then it turns out that there are structural problems with the side and they have over-acheived, in the Hawks case they have a very injury prone first ruck, a CHF coming off an achillies, a CHB coming off a knee and an undersized backline. They also have a chipping game style that seems taylor made to fall apart under pressure.

What if the Pies just had a crap finals series? What if the Hawks played their best footy in that PF? what if Roughy is never the same and Shoenmakers doesn't come on? what if the guys who made such a difference last year, Savage, Sheils, Puopulo etc stagnate rather than continue to improve? Hawks will of course beleive they are the real deal, but it is at least POSSIBLE that they arn't, and it will turn out to be Carlton, or Freo, or some other mob, that leaps up this year and proves to be the contender.

I hope and beleive that the Pies arn't done yet and that they will be there in September and give it a genuine shake, but as for Geelong, Eagles, Freo, Blues??? any of them could be staring at our boys across the grass as the anthem plays come grand- final time..

This game reeks of dogs vs pies round 1 2010. The hawks have played north, tiges, dees and freo this pre season, they smacked the dees the rest close games. They have talked up last years prelim so what. Where exactly has there improvement come from , still small up forward, still small backline, same midfield. There younger players are of the same quality as the pies younger blokes. The last 4 games against the pies less than 10 goals kick against the pies. How have they improved, they lost there ruckman ffs. Seriously there best 10 players are not better than the pies best 10. I see no way of there backs stopping cloke, dawes and rest up forward , where as i see reid ,goldie and harry constantly 3 teaming buddy, shaw constantly running the ball out. Apart from buddy which bloke will kick multiple goals. pies by 39. It will reinforce the extreme pies haters are more in hope, than more in the know. Bucks first game, the players are going walk through fire for him. I suspect the hawks know this, hence the outlandish statements from hawk players and the media in general. This is a clear cut case of appearing bigger than what the hawks realy are.

This game reeks of dogs vs pies round 1 2010. The hawks have played north, tiges, dees and freo this pre season, they smacked the dees the rest close games. They have talked up last years prelim so what. Where exactly has there improvement come from , still small up forward, still small backline, same midfield. There younger players are of the same quality as the pies younger blokes. The last 4 games against the pies less than 10 goals kick against the pies. How have they improved, they lost there ruckman ffs. Seriously there best 10 players are not better than the pies best 10. I see no way of there backs stopping cloke, dawes and rest up forward , where as i see reid ,goldie and harry constantly 3 teaming buddy, shaw constantly running the ball out. Apart from buddy which bloke will kick multiple goals. pies by 39. It will reinforce the extreme pies haters are more in hope, than more in the know. Bucks first game, the players are going walk through fire for him. I suspect the hawks know this, hence the outlandish statements from hawk players and the media in general. This is a clear cut case of appearing bigger than what the hawks realy are.

Time will tell all i can say is get ready :thumbsu:

I havent been too sure about winning this friday night but you make a very very good point. Everyone hates us naturally coz they know how good we are and are praying to see collingwood on a downhill slide.Which influences the opinions of people . The hawks are all talk.I cant believe they were actually devastated that we beat them in last years prelim.I mean did they really expect to beat us???And how the media go on and on about the hawks being hurt and coming out all guns blazing we are more hurt than them.Do they think that hurt wont drive us??

I think we'll win.Too much hurt.The pain will result in a smashing of the dawks.Simple as that

Beams was named in starting 18 on TFS tonight. As was Tarrant I think.

My guess is that Seedsman will debut, Luke rounds will play, as will Tom Young (unfortunately).
I'm still unsure on Yagmoor and Clarke, but I think we can all see that Goldsack will play.

B: Toovey Keefe Harry
HB: Shaw Reid Goldsack
Cen:Sidebottom Ball Seedsman
HF: Faz Cloke Thomas
F: Blair Dawes Paine
Foll: Jolly Swan Pendlebury

INT: Rounds Young Buckley SUB: Dayne Beams

From what I briefly saw on TFS I believe this will be our team.

Gee I'd laugh if we won by 10 goals. Hahaha....

The media contingent might actually have to write a positive article about us if that happens!

Also, wouldn't mind seeing Dale rest a few times in the forward line when he needs to rest. Would be a menace up forward if nothing else. He has the harassing nature of Ben Sinclair except he actually has good disposal....

My guess is that Seedsman will debut, Luke rounds will play, as will Tom Young (unfortunately).
I'm still unsure on Yagmoor and Clarke, but I think we can all see that Goldsack will play.

The Footy Shows was Just Guessing

Buckley out for Clarke and Young out for Wodd and I'd probably agree with that side Nicco.

Only problem is the second ruck option. I saw Wood was named in the squad which leads me to believe he will play to expose the lack of ruck depth in the Hawthorn side. May also see Jolly rest up forward alot more this year which would be a great move.

Our side on paper looks very strong, even without the injured 10 or so players :p

Thanks for the graphic Cory, just a tip, the game starts at 7.50pm, not 7.30pm, but don't worry I had to change my blog post two times to get the time right also lol. (Silly Channel Seven and their wish for later games.).:D

Should have just read the thread title hey :p

Jolly HAS to dominate this game.

He literally has no choice. He's fit, he's been playing during the pre-season and he's up against a debutant.

He needs to take this game by the scruff of the neck and make it his, which could actually be the difference between a win and a loss.

If Jolly can't do it, get him out from now and get Cam Wood in and give him consistent game time to see what he can do for a season, because Jolly has no excuse this year (unless he gets hurt again).

He literally has no choice. He's fit, he's been playing during the pre-season and he's up against a debutant.

He needs to take this game by the scruff of the neck and make it his, which could actually be the difference between a win and a loss.

If Jolly can't do it, get him out from now and get Cam Wood in and give him consistent game time to see what he can do for a season, because Jolly has no excuse this year (unless he gets hurt again).

Jolly should dominate this game - it would be disappointing if he didn't.

But why does he have to? Unless we play two ruckman I woulda thought Cam Wood needs to dominate the 2's to force selection. Jolly has a history, he has dominated games: never seen Cam Wood dominate a quarter let alone a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jolly should dominate this game - it would be disappointing if he didn't.

But why does he have to? Unless we play two ruckman I woulda thought Cam Wood needs to dominate the 2's to force selection. Jolly has a history, he has dominated games: never seen Cam Wood dominate a quarter let alone a game.

He has to because midfield and ruck dominance is the only chance we have of winning this game, and given Jolly is fit and up against a debutant, he has no excuses.

The footy show squad means nothing. They also had Ben Johnson on the half foward line.

Yeah i agree... And bucks will not be playing anyone injured.. Its too early in the season and we have depth to cover. We don't need to make a statement and we already have a midfield advantage..

Like someone said earlier.. Round 1, 2010. Dogs talked up all pre-season... Win by 37 points... No biggie...

I think your overstating things a tad. Yes Jolly should beat McCauley when they're rucking against each other, however Jolly will spend most of the match pitted against Hale.

Also FWIW McCauley is 25 years old and debuted last year for the Lions. So though he may be inexperienced he isn't as green as most players with less than 10 games to their name.

Did anyone catch "AFL360" last night on Fox?

Mark McClure, despite being the scum legend that he is, laid into Hawthorn something fierce, calling them chokers.

He basically said the Hawks had been promising a lot since they won the 08 flag "3 years earlier then expected" yet had failed to beat the Pies or Cats in a game that counts since.

He also said we would win easily, it was great stuff.:D

Parts of this I agree with but the Hawks favourites thing is all media beat up. The players have basically been saying they have put the PF behind them, have had a good pre season, are in good shape and want to win. I have not seen any of them saying they should win. Supporters are a different thing however and the club can't control that.
The club don't feel that they are favourites but will want to win and rightfully should feel like they can.

On your point about our backline - It reads similar on paper but they are fresh and a couple of the boys that were in their infancy last year (Under 30 games - Shoey, Suckers, Stratton) have developed their game and bodies over the pre season, so "in theory" there should be some improvement there.

Your backline "in theory" is weaker than last year due to injury, but we showed (despite the thoughts of most BF people) that an inexperienced, undersized, makeshift backline can be effective. Maybe you guys will show the same on Friday night, it will depend on how they go. Shaw can be a problem but I hope that the Hawks will put a pretty good defensive tag on him, we will see what happens. If you do go 3 up on him with the likes of Harry, Goldy etc it just leaves Gunston, Hale, Cyril etc loose at the foot so you would want to make sure Shaw gets it or else trouble.

Your forward line is also weaker than last year with Leeroy gone and Kraks out, but it is still obviously VERY potent with the pair of freakin man mountain gorillas down there in Blair and Fasolo... just kidding you know who I mean. I dare not speak their name, the big one's contested marks still haunt my nightmares. Obviously they need due respect because your mids will get it to them and often.

Our forward line deserves more credit than you are giving. With more talls in there you will have less chance to go 2 and 3 up on Budwah, that is exactly why we chased Gunston. He is a leading forward that will drag a defender away from the contest and if he does his job right and the mids deliver the way they are supposed to, 2 and 3 up will be hard. By my mind we have Budwah, Cyril, Gunston, Hale, Poppy that are all capable of multiples.

Your are 100% right about best 10 players but games are not entirely won and lost on the boot of your best 10. your depth is being tested more than the Hawks at the moment and that is why I think the media and betting agencies have us favourites. This is Theory of course and Friday night will tell, I dont think any team will win by 40 odd points. For me it could go either way but I think (hope) the Hawks by about 2 goals. Sorry for the long thread on your board.

Parts of this I agree with but the Hawks favourites thing is all media beat up. The players have basically been saying they have put the PF behind them, have had a good pre season, are in good shape and want to win. I have not seen any of them saying they should win. Supporters are a different thing however and the club can't control that.
The club don't feel that they are favourites but will want to win and rightfully should feel like they can.

On your point about our backline - It reads similar on paper but they are fresh and a couple of the boys that were in their infancy last year (Under 30 games - Shoey, Suckers, Stratton) have developed their game and bodies over the pre season, so "in theory" there should be some improvement there.

Your backline "in theory" is weaker than last year due to injury, but we showed (despite the thoughts of most BF people) that an inexperienced, undersized, makeshift backline can be effective. Maybe you guys will show the same on Friday night, it will depend on how they go. Shaw can be a problem but I hope that the Hawks will put a pretty good defensive tag on him, we will see what happens. If you do go 3 up on him with the likes of Harry, Goldy etc it just leaves Gunston, Hale, Cyril etc loose at the foot so you would want to make sure Shaw gets it or else trouble.

Your forward line is also weaker than last year with Leeroy gone and Kraks out, but it is still obviously VERY potent with the pair of freakin man mountain gorillas down there in Blair and Fasolo... just kidding you know who I mean. I dare not speak their name, the big one's contested marks still haunt my nightmares. Obviously they need due respect because your mids will get it to them and often.

Our forward line deserves more credit than you are giving. With more talls in there you will have less chance to go 2 and 3 up on Budwah, that is exactly why we chased Gunston. He is a leading forward that will drag a defender away from the contest and if he does his job right and the mids deliver the way they are supposed to, 2 and 3 up will be hard. By my mind we have Budwah, Cyril, Gunston, Hale, Poppy that are all capable of multiples.

Your are 100% right about best 10 players but games are not entirely won and lost on the boot of your best 10. your depth is being tested more than the Hawks at the moment and that is why I think the media and betting agencies have us favourites. This is Theory of course and Friday night will tell, I dont think any team will win by 40 odd points. For me it could go either way but I think (hope) the Hawks by about 2 goals. Sorry for the long thread on your board.

All constructive feedback and talk is appreciated on our forum...

You do raise some valid points, and I personally think its great just to get back into the footy again, but with such a blockbuster and both teams fans expecting a close one, I would be happy with a hard fought game regardless of the result.

Gunston was a great aquisition. Though I think Hale is the one to watch out for. He will likely get Keefe and should really dominate him(unless taz gets up which frees Reid up onto him...)

I am tipping us the other way though if not purely due to Jolly.. Great pre-season and with McCauley lining up as number one ruck (according to Hale himself) It should give us enough first use for our mids to control the game. IMO it will be won here.

On a side note, anyone know if McCauley is any good up forward?

All constructive feedback and talk is appreciated on our forum...

You do raise some valid points, and I personally think its great just to get back into the footy again, but with such a blockbuster and both teams fans expecting a close one, I would be happy with a hard fought game regardless of the result.

Gunston was a great aquisition. Though I think Hale is the one to watch out for. He will likely get Keefe and should really dominate him(unless taz gets up which frees Reid up onto him...)

I am tipping us the other way though if not purely due to Jolly.. Great pre-season and with McCauley lining up as number one ruck (according to Hale himself) It should give us enough first use for our mids to control the game. IMO it will be won here.

On a side note, anyone know if McCauley is any good up forward?

Negative on McCauley

Did anyone catch "AFL360" last night on Fox?

Mark McClure, despite being the scum legend that he is, laid into Hawthorn something fierce, calling them chokers.

He basically said the Hawks had been promising a lot since they won the 08 flag "3 years earlier then expected" yet had failed to beat the Pies or Cats in a game that counts since.

He also said we would win easily, it was great stuff.:D

Kiss of death my friend. Kiss of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back