Preview Rd 1 - Prematch Discussion - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - 7:50 Fri 30/3/12 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone catch "AFL360" last night on Fox?

Mark McClure, despite being the scum legend that he is, laid into Hawthorn something fierce, calling them chokers.

He basically said the Hawks had been promising a lot since they won the 08 flag "3 years earlier then expected" yet had failed to beat the Pies or Cats in a game that counts since.

He also said we would win easily, it was great stuff.:D

typical ... he is just trying to rev 'em up. that mob will do anything to see us get beaten.

I hope we smash the Hawks just to stick it up to the Media who has Written us off

Paine is really growing on me. I'm thinking he could be a kid that holds his spot for the year barring injury or horrific form.

Same Here mate and I can see him staying in the Side for quite some time

Paine is really growing on me. I'm thinking he could be a kid that holds his spot for the year barring injury or horrific form.
Paine has risen very quickly in the eyes of anyone who saw him play in the pre season, and in one way is a massive part of our plans going forward, even if we didn't plan it.:p

At the start of the year we would have planned to have a forward line that contained Krakouer and MaCaffer, and also would have considered Cameron Wood for the second ruck role.

But with injuries of differing severity to these three players (and others like Didak and Beams) it has given Paine a chance to add to our team.

He adds to our best team now in so many ways, his offensive pressure is immense, as he showed in the final practice match again St Kilda, and of course he also offers us that second tall forward option when Dawes goes into the ruck to relieve Jolly at times.

Bucks talks about the injuries and troubles we've had so far this year giving the youngsters a chance to push their claims for senior selection, and there's no better example of this then Jackson Paine.

BRING THE PAINE.:thumbsu::D

Oh, and it's great to see Yagz and Seedsman given a chance too, they have been ultra impressive in the pre season and have earned their selection for tomorrow nights game.:thumbsu:

Paine has risen very quickly in the eyes of anyone who saw him play in the pre season, and in one way is a massive part of our plans going forward, even if we didn't plan it.:p

At the start of the year we would have planned to have a forward line that contained Krakouer and MaCaffer, and also would have considered Cameron Wood for the second ruck role.

But with injuries of differing severity to these three players (and others like Didak and Beams) it has given Paine a chance to add to our team.

He adds to our best team now in so many ways, his offensive pressure is immense, as he showed in the final practice match again St Kilda, and of course he also offers us that second tall forward option when Dawes goes into the ruck to relieve Jolly a times.

Bucks talks about the injuries and troubles we've had so far this year giving the youngsters a chance to push their claims for senior selection, and there's no better example of this then Jackson Paine.

BRING THE PAINE.:thumbsu::D

Oh, and it's great to see Yagz and Seedsman given a chance too, they have been ultra impressive in the pre season and have earned their selection for tomorrow nights game.:thumbsu:

Injuries can be sad but you can find Players like we have during the Pre-Season with Paine.

Hope Paine has a Big Game in RD 1.

I think the team will look as follows and it will be a shoot out between Young, Yagmoor, Seedsman, Buckley and Rounds for 3 spots. I have listed the younger kids getting up but wouldnt be surprised if they went with the bigger bods of Buckley and Rounds for the Hawks. Still would love to see the kids get a go and without putting to much pressure on Paine if he could just do a few of the things that Darling brought to WCE last year he will be fine.Also a huge fan of Seedsman. He has time and he has skill.

B Goldsack, Keefe, Toovey
HB Shaw, Reid, OBrien
C Thomas, Pendlebury, Clarke
HF Sidebottom, Cloke, Fasolo
F Paine, Dawes, Blair
Foll Jolly, Swan, Ball
Int Sinclair, Young, Yagmoor, Seedsman (sub)
Emerg Buckley, Elliott, Rounds

Not going to be to upset if we go down. Just as keen to see how Tarrant, Wellers, Brown (?), Didak, Beams, Johnson etc all go in the magoos

All constructive feedback and talk is appreciated on our forum...

You do raise some valid points, and I personally think its great just to get back into the footy again, but with such a blockbuster and both teams fans expecting a close one, I would be happy with a hard fought game regardless of the result.

Gunston was a great aquisition. Though I think Hale is the one to watch out for. He will likely get Keefe and should really dominate him(unless taz gets up which frees Reid up onto him...)

I am tipping us the other way though if not purely due to Jolly.. Great pre-season and with McCauley lining up as number one ruck (according to Hale himself) It should give us enough first use for our mids to control the game. IMO it will be won here.

On a side note, anyone know if McCauley is any good up forward?

True but we had the same problem last year for some time with the ruck situation, if anything our mids are used to roving the opposition tapwork, they have had to do it for so long. A fit Jolly might be a different prospect though. I think we need to break even in the middle to win and I think we can do that. Much of the midfield will come down to who is better on the night.

Up forward, Hale is definately the wildcard. With all I said about our forward line, it was actually more about what I did not say. Hale took plenty of contested marks last year 1 out, at the top of the goal square or under 30 meters out on his own. He is a good set shot for goal, excellent mark and flies well under the radar of players that need to be stopped. He will kick some mini bags of 4 and 5 this year I think due to him going largely unchecked or having number 2 and 3 defenders on him.

The Game WILL be hard and at it and what more can you ask for (Other than the 4 points of course) at the start of the season.

B Goldsack, Keefe, Toovey
HB Shaw, Reid, OBrien
C Thomas, Pendlebury, Clarke
HF Sidebottom, Cloke, Fasolo
F Paine, Dawes, Blair
Foll Jolly, Swan, Ball
Int Sinclair, Young, Yagmoor, Seedsman (sub)
Emerg Buckley, Elliott, Rounds

Swap Rounds in for Young or Yagmoor and you have the team I want to see named on Channel Vlad (Seven) tonight.:)

Rounds or Elliott should be in well before Young.

Young is simply not ready.

IMO, Rounds has shown quite a bit in that small forward type role.

Unless Buckley is of the Nathan variety, Simon should not be anywhere near the team even as an emergency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how a change of jumper can result in a massive change in the view of a player. There's no way that anybody would be talking up Hale as a major threat if he was still in a North jumper. I don't mind him and was actually one of the very few Collingwood supporters who wanted us take a look at him when he was available, but if he was still at North he wouldn't be in their best 22 and the football world would consider him to be rubbish.

P.S - Pies comfortably. I reckon their gun midfielders are about to commence their decline and would be very surprised if they were major challengers this year.

I love how a change of jumper can result in a massive change in the view of a player. There's no way that anybody would be talking up Hale as a major threat if he was still in a North jumper. I don't mind him and was actually one of the very few Collingwood supporters who wanted us take a look at him when he was available, but if he was still at North he wouldn't be in their best 22 and the football world would consider him to be rubbish.

P.S - Pies comfortably. I reckon their gun midfielders are about to commence their decline and would be very surprised if they were major challengers this year.

Club change, not jumper change. Nothing to do with the view of the player. just how they fit a role at a new club, who is around them and what development they get at that club. Completely different role and structures that suit him better I think.... He might not be elite but he will certainly be more than effective for what we need.
Some of our mids are getting older but they have also performed pb's right throughout this summer and I am confident in some of our younger guys coming through. As for not challenging this year??? who knows until October but I would think they would have to be well past the "about" to decline stage for us to drop out of contention this year I think. I do know that nothing you or I think will have anything to do with how they go or what happens tomorrow night.

Hale is very underrated by most on here. Easily the best contested mark at the club and is targeted on our long kicks out of defence. A reliable set shot on goal and fits in really well for us as that full-forward/2nd ruck. His NAB Cup was outstanding and will build off the platform of 2011.

He isn't a great ruckman, and that's why North never really played him. They have Goldstein and McIntosh rucking, and Petrie playing at full-forward. Playing Hale would have been insane overkill.

The same people thought Gibson wasn't in their 22 either, he was one of the better full-backs of 2011.

As for our mids declining due to age, I don't think that's likely personally. Lewis is 25, Mitchell is 29, Sewell is 28, Hodge is 27 and Liam Shiels (not playing tomorrow but is easily a best 22 player) is 20. Then you've got Isaac Smith at 23 and Shane Savage at 21 on the wings.

Averaging out at 24.71. A perfect mix of experienced heads and pace to burn.

Obviously players like Burgoyne and Bateman will rotate through there as well though.

In comparison to Collingwood, Ball is 27, Pendlebury is 24, Swan is 28, Thomas is 24. Then Wellingham at 23 and Beams at 22.

Averages out at 24.66.

Am I missing any of your best 22 mids there?

You'll find both these predictions are more than likely wrong.

I hope you're right, but you'd have to be quite the optimist to see us legitimately getting up tomorrow night.

As long as I see intensity from the players, and continued progression from the kids, I'll be relatively happy.

I don't want to see a hammering, even with all our outs.

As to the Hawks, they will most definitely be challenging this year. This could very well be the GF Preview for all we know.

I agree with the summation of Hale.. But i think he really developed late last year and as previous have mentioned his PS has been superb. We should NOT make the mistake of underestimating him. I also believe that in Hawthorns pursuit to be less "Buddy" concious, Hale is going to be a major target in 2012. More opportunities on 2nd tier defenders is exactly what Clarko will be looking for.

As for our mids declining due to age, I don't think that's likely personally. Lewis is 25, Mitchell is 29, Sewell is 28, Hodge is 27 and Liam Shiels (not playing tomorrow but is easily a best 22 player) is 20. Then you've got Isaac Smith at 23 and Shane Savage at 21 on the wings.

Admittedly I thought that Mitchell, Sewell and Hodge were all a couple of years older than this, but I still stand by my comment. The problem with your averages is that it doesn't weight importance toi the midfield. The above three and Burgoyne are the midfielders capable of carrying you to a flag. Mitchell, Sewell and Hodge have been fantastic workhorses for your club, but I expect that at least one of them will have an injury interrupted year or begin to decline, just due to the sheer workload that they've done over the years. The others that you mention bring your average down, but are merely the supporting cast.

Look you may right and they may be cherry ripe for the flag. Everyone seems to be predicting a decline in Geelong. Personally I reckon that Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne and Hodge are more likely to decline than Selwood, Bartel, Kelly and Corey.

Averaging out at 24.71. A perfect mix of experienced heads and pace to burn.

Obviously players like Burgoyne and Bateman will rotate through there as well though.

You can't leave Burgoyne out, he plays more in there then Shiels, Smith or Savage does.

If you take one of those younger players out (Savage for example) and include 28 year old Burgoyne, your average age goes up to 27.:eek: (That's without Shiels who is not playing this week).

An average aged midfield of 27 is almost geriatric in AFL terms.:cool:

You can't leave Burgoyne out, he plays more in there then Shiels, Smith or Savage does.

If you take one of those younger players out (Savage for example) and include 28 year old Burgoyne, your average age goes up to 27.:eek: (That's without Shiels who is not playing this week).

An average aged midfield of 27 is almost geriatric in AFL terms.:cool:

Burgoyne goes through the midfield in rotations, but Shiels is a bonafide starter where you'll see Burgoyne plays off the half-back. If Shiels played less in the middle there simply wouldn't be a spot for him. Where do you think he plays, just out of curiosity.

I noted that players like Burgoyne and Bateman rotate through there, the latter shouldn't even be in the side.

Does anyone actually care how old these guys are? Both midfields are top notch (still rate ours higher regardless) and age will not play a part in things this year, except for maybe natural improvement through the younger guys like Beams, Sidebottom, Blair, Fasolo, Shields, Savage, Smith, Whitecross etc

Does anyone actually care how old these guys are? Both midfields are top notch (still rate ours higher regardless) and age will not play a part in things this year, except for maybe natural improvement through the younger guys like Beams, Sidebottom, Blair, Fasolo, Shiels, Savage, Smith, Whitecross etc

No, not really. I just wanted to prove that even our older heads (Sewell, Mitchell and Hodge) still have a lot of good football left in them. Put a couple of younger kids in there (Smith, Shiels) and you get great competition for spots within the club.

The same thing is happening at Collingwood I'm sure. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back