News RD 15:- Carlton v Richmond: Prematch discussion, changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten ponders selection poser

Ratten ponders selection poser

"The big one is, do you change a winning formula?" Ratten said. "It's pretty hard. Their (Stevens and Scotland) form was pretty good … we'll go through that after training and see how everyone pulls up.

"They're in the mix, they're quality players and (last week) we just went with a different team; a different structure."

Houlihan's disposal was pretty poor and could be dropped.

A stopping job on a second gamer shouldn't count for much.

Bentley isn't a very smart footballer to give Judd a hospital ball because he didn't shepherd.

I'm sick to death of seeing the lack of support.

Russell was another who was killed because no one worked for him. :thumbsdown:

In: Hartlett Yarran Browne
Out: Austin Houlihan Bentley

I really hate hearing him say "do you change a winning formula?"

We are currently on a 1 win streak, which came from the 15th placed team. How this creates a 'winning formula' mystifies me.

As Harker has said on several occasions, stop being overly reactive and start being more proactive.

Houlihan was our worst player, he lost countless 1on1 contests and he's lazy and slow. He's a disgraceful footballer. Johnson's good work when they swapped showed us just how little Houlihan gives us. Houlihan shouldn't be clogging out list let alone our 22.

Houlihan out, Johnson to half forward, Scotland in to half back.

Austin out, Hartlett in. Austin suspended and Hartlett's earnt a spot, why we play Fisher ahead of Harrtlett is amazing.

Bentley out, Stevens in. Bentley has everything wrong with him and nothing right, how we even rookie drafted him is amazing.

We need %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%!

Houlihan was our worst player, he lost countless 1on1 contests and he's lazy and slow. He's a disgraceful footballer. Johnson's good work when they swapped showed us just how little Houlihan gives us. Houlihan shouldn't be clogging out list let alone our 22.

Houlihan out, Johnson to half forward, Scotland in to half back.

Austin out, Hartlett in. Austin suspended and Hartlett's earnt a spot, why we play Fisher ahead of Harrtlett is amazing.

Bentley out, Stevens in. Bentley has everything wrong with him and nothing right, how we even rookie drafted him is amazing.

We need %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%!

Worst player is a bit harsh. Did a good job on Bellantyne in the second half. Bellantyne killed Joseph in the first half. Hoops played on him for about the last 1 and 1/2 qtrs and kept him quiet and did good rebounding. His first half was terrible and he was worse against essendon. But i think his second half may have saved him.

Outs: Austin, Bentlet, Armfiled, Gartlett
Ins: Edwards/Hartlett, Stevens, Scotland, Browne

Our defensive pressure was deplorable.

Houlihan was slow and didn't chase.

Needs to go back to the twos after two poor games in a row.

Houlihan isn't selected to stop piss ants like Ballantyne, but kick goals, apply pressure and hit targets.

Bring in Yarran and give more game time to Garlett.

Fisher will stay in by default.

No changes other than Austin would be glossing over the fact we had to overrun the Dockers to win the game.

I'm sick to death of Houlihans sub-standard performances and ability. He has no athleticism what so ever and has no agression in his game to make up for it. He has shithouse hands that can't take a mark and he's far to slow to give it off. He didn't do as good of a job rebounding as his man did when he played forward.

He did ok on Ballantyne, maybe playing him in defence will make him pull his finger out, but playing in defence against good sides might see him get touched up.

That was the first time Joseph has really been close to beaten, maybe he is carrying an injury/soreness.

When you see all the criticism here of Russell and Stevens and the lack of criticism for Houlihan you begin to wonder why. I just recon he's a waste of time when we are trying to win a flag within the next few years.

Garlett didn't do a lot but he's a future prospect and that is why I would play him ahead of the many other non-future prospects like Houlihan and Bentley. If we were to drop him we would have to replace him with a small forward.

Is Robbinson in contension? I would say yes. I forgot about robbo.

So perhaps Bentley out, Robinson in and Stevens 1 more week in the VFL.

Would Robbo be in contention?

I'm not so sure.

He hasn't played for a few weeks due to suspension but with the Bullants having the bye this weekend, he could well come straight back in.

To be honest I'd prefer to see him lining up on the half forward line instead of Houlihan as at least we know we'd get some aggression.

Austin obviously is an out due to suspension, so if we decide to replace tall with tall, it's time to give Hartlett a go, but if we need another runner then I'd be fine with Scotland being included, or Browne, or Yarran.

Anyone but Stevens.

OUT: Houlihan, Austin
IN: Robinson, Hartlett/Scotland/Yarran/Browne

Bentley shouldn't be dropped.

Is Robbinson in contension? I would say yes. I forgot about robbo.
So perhaps Bentley out, Robinson in and Stevens 1 more week in the VFL.

Robbo won't get a game. Suspended for 2 matches in the VFL for striking. Hasn't shown enough in the reserves to get a game. Won't happen.

I finally watch the match on my laptop. Wasn't that impressed with our performance.

Outs: Fisher, Bentley, Houlihan, Austin
Ins: Scotland, Browne, Hartlett, Yarran

I also think that young Armfeild shouldn't be getting a game for us. Can only run. Can't mark-Can't kick, just run. He should be patched up for Richmond....

Can you se Bentley being a part of our next premiership team?

F**K NO. Get rid of him & anyone else in that boat... Im sorry but thats the harsh reality

I think we need to see if he can play or not at this level. He has not come to terms with the pace of the game yet but if he is showing enough in the Bullants to get selected, a run of a few weeks will give him a chance to get to the pace of the game. Some players adjust faster than others; Bower looked awful his first few games and his injury notwithstanding, has had a pretty good year. I thought Bentley did some good things (the ball to put Judd into space that led to the goal was very nice) in the Fro game and while he made a few bad decisions, he will get better. Skills are the big worry here and he has played some games for Port so is not totally new at this level but give him 3 weeks and we will have a really good idea where he is at. It is very difficult to find your feet when you are in and out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond fans should not be worried about this week's game, but rather the fact that their club is turning into a basketcase again ...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tiger-chief-denies-aboutface/2009/07/08/1246732379894.html

RICHMOND president Gary March last night said he welcomed Kevin Sheedy's job application, but denied it was a U-turn on an earlier position that the veteran coach was not a good fit for the club.

Speaking to The Age last night from New Zealand, where he is on business until the end of the week, March insisted his pre-season appraisal of Sheedy had been given in an entirely different landscape.

"If Craig Cameron (Richmond's general manager of football) came back to me and said: 'My strong recommendation is that Kevin Sheedy is the best available coach' after we've gone through a thorough process, unless I found something really strange in Kevin's background that I think would be detrimental to the Richmond Football Club, we would go ahead with that recommendation like we did on the caretaker coach role," March said.

"If Kevin wants to go through the process, why wouldn't we put Kevin Sheedy through the process, given his experience?"

In an interview on the eve of the season, when Terry Wallace was still senior coach and Sheedy had only recently been recruited to Tigerland in a marketing role, March doubted Sheedy, whose 27-year tenure at Essendon ended in 2007, would ever be in the senior coaching frame at Richmond.

"This is only a personal opinion, so I'm not commenting for the rest of the board, I probably think that that time has passed," March said in the interview with The Footy Show in March.

"I think with the way the game is going, we're looking towards newer coaches with different ideas and different innovations. Kevin has now been out of the (coaching) game, it will nearly be two years at the end of this year, you're probably looking for someone to come into the game with fresher ideas, so for me I would have thought that time has probably passed."

The Footy Show did not broadcast March's responses about Sheedy at the time, but his comments were subsequently printed in a Sunday newspaper.

March said last night that before doing the television interview he indicated reluctance about discussing the position of Wallace.

Asked whether he still held the personal view about Sheedy's prospects of being Richmond's head coach, March said: "No, because I haven't sat down with Kevin to discuss whether he's spent a lot of time keeping abreast with the game and what his views are.

"I was asked a question, months ago, when we had a contracted senior coach about a particular person that was coming back to Richmond Football Club in a non-football role.

The whole club is on the verge of imploding, all started by Kevin 'Box Seat' Bartlett ...

As such I expect nothing less then a 90 point belting of the Tuggers on Saturday .. :)

Richmond fans should not be worried about this week's game, but rather the fact that their club is turning into a basketcase again ...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tiger-chief-denies-aboutface/2009/07/08/1246732379894.html

The whole club is on the verge of imploding, all started by Kevin 'Box Seat' Bartlett ...

As such I expect nothing less then a 90 point belting of the Tuggers on Saturday .. :)

I will just be happy with a win by any margin. Make no mistake, Richmond will come at Carlton. The first round floggin totally ruined their season - if that club is worth anything (and it may not be) they will want some serious payback. A team that comes to play is always hard to beat. If we let them get away in the same way we did to Freo, they will give this one hell of a shake.

ill take a win atm. lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Would of liked to see Scotland or Stevans back especially when we are playing a team like Richmond. happy with Hartlett in but there should of been atleast one other change for Bentley. He didnt do enough for me to keep his position in the team.

People should stop knocking supporters 'love affairs' with certain players ...

I've had bit of a love affair/man crush on Big Irish for a couple of years now, even changed my signature after the fiasco of Cloke-gate, and campaigned long and hard throughout this sesaon to give the Mad Irishman a chance, and it looks like the lurve has finally paid off dividends :D

I do recall I was only one of two or three (supporters max) who wanted to Carltos to stay after what happened Pre-Season, and as such, this is one love affair that has just 'blossomed', it's a rags to riches story, worthy of Disney :D

Would of liked to see Scotland or Stevans back especially when we are playing a team like Richmond.

After the win last week I was starting to think that leaving both Scotland and Stevens out of the team was a sneaky masterstroke of foresight by the MC.
My thinking was that after the trip west some of the older players would be tired, leave those two out, and we would have two of our better, more experienced players fresh for this weekend.....maybe I was giving them too much credit.........

You're not speaking of Gavan Disney, I hope?:eek:

I'm going into this game with mixed emotions.
I see the selections this week a little sedated.

I know we clearly still have good players coming back into our line-up but I just don't quite agree with the current tactics of staving off good players to prove a point.
You would imagine this can be conducted via dialogue with senior players.
Yes, there may be more brewing from underneath that we (or at least I) are not aware of.

I have just got off another thread where we are advocating the delisting of players, Bentley, Russell, Hartlett and Bannister, yet these players are all getting a good go heading towards the pointy end of the season.

I mean we were also all rejoicing in Cloke and Wiggins only several weeks ago and now cannot wait for them to be traded or simply moved on.

We may well not even make the eight this year, but for me I wish we were priming the likes of Browne and Scotland and Yarran towards the finals, rather than the hit or miss quartet mentioned above.

Again, we know the outcome so why wait for it to slap us in the face?

LOL .. Nope :D

I think that playing Hartlett is probably a fair go for the lad, he's been hit hard with injuries, and we're only playing a rabble this week, so why not ? He's been performing well at Preston all year it seems, so it's only fair he should get a go. I think Russell did play fairly well last week, but my biggest problem with him is that he seems to play only well when the team is firing on all four cylinders, when the team is under pressure, and seems to struggle and fumble the ball a lot when the team is down by a few goals and being swamped by the opposittion (case in point last week's first quarter against Freakmantle)

Your right about Bentley, I don't think he's up to it really, and if we're got a youth policy going, why play Bannister ???

Anyhow on the flip side, Richmond have a team of duds out there, esp Jake King and JON ... We should win, and win quite well.

Remove this Banner Ad

News RD 15:- Carlton v Richmond: Prematch discussion, changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back