News RD 15:- Carlton v Richmond: Prematch discussion, changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Austin - Houlihan

In: Hartlett - Robinson

Austin out speaks for itself. Stupid thing to do and cost us two goals. Hartlett has been good , not great, from what I've seen the VFL and seems to have overcome his hamstring problems. No harm in trying him and will finally give us either the evidence to keep him or to get rid of him. If he isn't brought in then there isn't much hope.

Robinson adds some grunt around the ball which we've been lacking recently. Dropping Houlihan also gets rid of some more
"pillowcases" and sends a message to the players that softness isn't good enough. I think he is dead weight and seems to back to his "best".

Collingwood and Adelaide both have nasty draws, and we've got 8 point games against both. If we're good enough, we'll still finish 4th.

For the meantime, a nice big percentage-boosting win over Richmond is all we should be focusing on. The rest will take care of itself one way or the other.

Austin being suspended for 1 match, leaves us a bit short in the backline. Remember Richmond have a few "tall timbers" to overcome. We've already lost two tall defenders in Waite & Bower to injury, and it's going to challenge our depth in this department. Options: Hartlett to be given a go, (although reports were he injured his knee in the VFL last week), Sentana to the backlione, and bring in Cloke to cover Setanta. I still don't know why they dropped Scotland, he gets plenty of it and provides run out of defence. (Maybe his hip is still troubling him) His 35 possies in the VFL will force the MC to seriously consider hinm this week. They should take a gamble with Robbo for Garlett. Robbo will be refreshed after his suspension, and we know he likes to takle fiercely. Also remember he kicked a few goals agianst this mob in the first game.

OUT IN

Austin (Susp)......Cloke/Hartlett

Bentley..............Scotland

Garlett................Robbo..

As the year has gone on I have become less, and less keen on having Cloke in the team.

At the start of the year I thought he could have made a very handy FP, who would chime in with two or so a game.....that hasn't happened and I have come to the realisation that he ain't the answer to problems, and never will be....... with this in mind I don't think he should be brought into the game even as a fourth or fifth string tall.
Setanta should play forward as he has done well there over the last few weeks, the only obvious answer to the backline issue created by Austin's suspension is to bring in Hartlett....I'm not sold on him, but its about time we saw something from him........

I really do think that we've got way too much on the line this week not to come out all guns blazing in the 1st quarter. We started Sunday like we finished against Essendon, so i'm hoping that we can come out on Saturday like we finished off the game on Sunday.

Richmond don't have any real matchwinners in their team, and not even a real dangerous player that we need to clamp down on. One of their forwards would have to kick a bag, and their midfield would need to play out of their skin to take the 4 points away from us.

Carlton by 32 points.

People are talking about needing another Key defender in.

What tall forwards do they have? Reiwoldt and... Morton who a chris johnson could play on. So even with that we have Thornton free to play on their "third tall" or loose in defense

Didn't CJ get a new one ripped last time we met? I believe it was in the air.

Didn't CJ get a new one ripped last time we met? I believe it was in the air.

Yeah Morton was too good overhead. I'd like to see Thornton go to him this time.

Jamison on Riewoldt

Hartlett on their other tall forward...Vickery?

AJ on Nahas

Tambling looks to be a pretty good play maker for them atm too.

Yeah Morton was too good overhead. I'd like to see Thornton go to him this time.

Jamison on Riewoldt

AJ on Nahas

We need to use the same game-plan as round one. Go in with guns blazing and blow them out of the water. Wait...did we try that with Fremantle... :eek:

Another 'Ellard should play' post from Dikfield. We get it mate, you want ellard to play every week. It wont happen, he will be cut from the list at years end.

Only the last 2 weeks I have called for Ellard to be an inclusion and he should be, he deserves it. Why are people saying he can't play either? He can be picked if they want to, dont know what u guys are smoking, apparently a few of the boys were very suprised that he wasnt picked last week...

Only the last 2 weeks I have called for Ellard to be an inclusion and he should be, he deserves it. Why are people saying he can't play either? He can be picked if they want to, dont know what u guys are smoking, apparently a few of the boys were very suprised that he wasnt picked last week...

When he gets promoted from the rookie list, come back here and post. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll come back and post on Thursday then ;)

Highly doubt that. They could of easily promoted him for Walker. But they didn't. Bentley got another spot. Sorry aint going to happen. We already have too many small/medium sized midfielders.

Highly doubt that. They could of easily promoted him for Walker. But they didn't. Bentley got another spot. Sorry aint going to happen. We already have too many small/medium sized midfielders.

Ok I do agree with you in that i highly doubt it too, but i still think he should. I mean Bentley? WTF

Ok I do agree with you in that i highly doubt it too, but i still think he should. I mean Bentley? WTF

Agreed. But Bentley has upside....kinda.
Back-Mid-Forward. Don't think he'll last. Ellard doubtful too. Don't get me wrong, I like him. He has skills and will work his ass off. Too small... :(

Jamison on Riewoldt

AJ on Nahas

Vickery is a ruckman. I'm sure Hampson could spend half the time in the back line with an 18 year old ruckman

On a slightly different note, im not too impresesd with the critisism Scotland is getting on this board right now. He is a fantastic player and brings ALOT of things to the table that dont result in statistics (eg. courage, hardness, spoiling, run off half-back, versatility, ability to be 3rd man up etc.) I don't even think he was that bad against Essendon, absolutely had enough points on the board to avoid getting dropped after just one average game.

I think you will find it is mostly one person who has posted it several times :eek:

Bentley i thought was quite solid apart from the obvious brainfart. Has good desperation for the footy and may have done enough to stay in the side for another week.

. :eek:

Jeez, now we are bagging blokes for finding space>?
You guys are a bit hard on this board at times

Glad a couple (plus TG) noticed that Bentley was not that bad. Admittedly at the pub it was sometimes hard to tell who was who and maybe I credited him as being 'the solid bloke' getting in, a couple more times than I should have

ps How can anyone think that Robbo can walk str back in after suspension

Richmonds forward line is a joke....they have only score over 100 once this season, they don't have a consistant forward that will tear the game open.

Morton can take a mark so play Thorton on him
Riewoldt is a hack push him wide and he'll miss the lot, play Jammo on him Nahas is a good small forward with pace, bring in Joey Anderson for him

They rely on their mids to kick goals, and that won't happen as their mids will be too busy chasing blue tail.

Tambling seems to be playing well so send Joesph to man him, Joesph is a hard nut and will make Tambling scared with body on body.

Their on ball group are inconsistant so its hard to tell.

They are inexperienced in the ruck, they rank 16th for hitouts.

Hardness they haven't had since 1980 and they rank 13th in tackle.

Down back they are light and sit 2nd in score against.

Their Attck is questionable as i made point of above, they sit 14th in that department

........and they sit 14th on the ladder, anything less than a 8-10 goals win isn't good enough.

People are talking about needing another Key defender in.

What tall forwards do they have? Reiwoldt and... Morton who a chris johnson could play on. So even with that we have Thornton free to play on their "third tall" or loose in defense

Agree that Tigers only played Morton & Riewoldt last week, plus 2 ruckman.

I don't believe we necessarily need to replace Austin with a tall such as Hartlett.

If Tigers play 1 ruckman forward it will only be for minimal periods.

Name an extra tall in our emergencies in case Tigers bring in Schultz,Patterson or Hughes.

Also predicted rain for Saturday.

Out: Austin,Garlett

In: Browne,Robinson

Austin and Gartlett out for Bannister and Scotland.

Can't make too many changes two weeks in a row, need to give the side a bit of a settle. Bannister was great in the Bullants at CHB and Scotland was close to our best. Anderson could also be in the mix.

Austin out through suspension, Gartlett just needs more time to develop, i'd like to see Bentley have 2-3 games on the trot to see what he can do (assuming we'd give Gartlett more time to develop). I don't see too much point in promoting the guy and giving him the random game here and there, give him a chance.

Stevens can have another week in the 2s to get some more of the pil.

Can't see too much point in dropping Houlihan, last time we did all it seemed to do was dent his confidence.

Yarran shouldn't come in until he's dominating in the 2s, same for Robbo. Similar for Browne.

I don't like our trend of playing guys who have been okay in the Bullants, players really should be right up there before they get a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

News RD 15:- Carlton v Richmond: Prematch discussion, changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back