Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only guess if Mannagh is happy or not.

I'll assume he isn't super happy.

The guy would be taking a pay cut to sit in the same comp he was dominating last year, but this year we aren't playing him in a position that gives him the chance to play like he did last year.

If he went to another club, he'd probably be playing most weeks and make at least double, if not triple what he'd be making this year.

The guy's partner just had a kid... not sure if she worked prior and is now down her wage (possibly).

Now Mannagh turns pro footballer and they'd be doing worse financially because he would have quit his full-time job in Altona and also won't be getting Werribee VFL payments (I do assume he got something for that).

We as a club selected him and have given him a chance... and whilst yes, we don't owe him anything (we got him contracted)... I look at it from afar and think "I don't love how we have gone about this from a human perspective".

I'm not even sure if he lives in Geelong... I wouldn't be surprised if he came from Werribee/Altona area each day.

He worked his ass off to finally be good enough in recruiter's eyes to be drafted... Then draft him and plonk him at full forward in the magoos.

I just don't love it and there's no way he'd be not at least thinking that he would have been better off playing elsewhere.

On the flip side... There is the possibility that got drafted by Freo (who were keen) and he'd be sitting in the WAFL also not playing and have his partner and baby interstate with him (away from support) whilst being basically on minimum wage... I think he'd be playing more if at another club that rated him. If he isn't good enough to be playing half-forward at a different club that is less stacked than us in that position then why would we draft him in the first place.

I also think it's about 5k per match payment... If he is not getting some games in the 1's, I reckon things would be tight.

So for me, I'm not as focused on him playing seniors as Pure_Ownage is, because the position we have him in the VFL deny's him any chance to progress (so I'm not shocked at all he isn't playing).

I'm more looking at it from how we might be doing this guy's career dirty by drafting him and I expect more from us as a club.

There's every chance the shine of his 2023 VFL season could be rubbed off and he being an extra year older means that other clubs may no longer want him.

From an outsider looking in... It's disappointing, although maybe Manngh is chuffed as can be and has no issues.

Why the heck would we use that draft pick on a 175cm 26-year-old and have him playing as an undersized FF in the VFL when he is a dynamic half-forward.

Someone has miscalculated here.

They live in Geelong, and more patiently than us by all accounts. Yes, tied to match payments.There's no real openings for a dynamic half forward-yet, among other things. At 26, he has time, just consider it the usual Geelong apprenticeship.

The average hit rate for guys picked in the 30s is very low, likely moreso in what was considered a very weak draft. It's weird that people can't fathom a pick 36 might just not be quite as good as we hoped and might not be the answer to our midfield woes. Or might still need to work on a few things to get to that level.

Let's be honest if any club was more than 50% confident he could walk in and be a good AFL mid straight away then he wouldn't have lasted to pick 36.

I disagree.

We traded for that draft pick... we wanted it... Wells wanted Mannagh.

In time there will be some good players pop up that went after Mannagh in the draft (Humphries one of them).

Not necessarily

It was part of the draft night trade with Essendon - they wanted our pick 10 for their pick 11, which then likely saw Mackie & Wells ask what else they'd throw in

With our 2 picks in the 30s, we went with Edwards first which would suggest he was the player we were most after that that stage, and Mannagh was still available with the next pick we had - it's not like we traded in that pick just prior to selecting Mannagh

Not necessarily

It was part of the draft night trade with Essendon - they wanted our pick 10 for their pick 11, which then likely saw Mackie & Wells ask what else they'd throw in

With our 2 picks in the 30s, we went with Edwards first which would suggest he was the player we were most after that that stage, and Mannagh was still available with the next pick we had - it's not like we traded in that pick just prior to selecting Mannagh

Wells is on the record saying that we had already made up our minds that we wanted Mannagh before his best VFL GF game.

But he mentioned Mannagh having that game made us need to go earlier on him than initially expected.

The word was that Freo was keen and had a pick at what ended up being 41... Wells would have known who else was keen and when they would have likely gone for Mannagh.

I have almost zero doubt that when we made that trade with the Dons that Wells would have known we'd be at worst taking Manngh with it... unless there was someone else that we liked had slid. But if that happened, Mannagh would have been gone before we had a chance to select him again.

I do look at the pick as a bonus pick though... because we surely must have preferred COS over Caddy.

I just do not agree that it was a nothing pick in a so-called weak draft and therefore we could just blow it willy-nilly.

Wells wanted Mannagh for sure and got that pick to get ahead of Freo and potentially others.

Yes, it was a bonus pick, so if it does end up a wasted pick, it makes it less painful.

They live in Geelong, and more patiently than us by all accounts. Yes, tied to match payments.There's no real openings for a dynamic half forward-yet, among other things. At 26, he has time, just consider it the usual Geelong apprenticeship.
When I wrote that post I was waiting for a certain poster to confirm that without me asking.

Thanks.

On SDK, if you ask me the club have set him up to fail. And I'm not talking about the move to the ruck.

He was getting smashed from pillar to post from Round 1 last year. Then he got that awful face injury. What I don't understand is why they had him return to play in that ridiculous face mask thing. Yes I understand the medicos would have cleared it etc but come on.

His peripheral vision would've been stuffed, if would've been awkward etc. No way could anyone play properly in that thing. I don't understand why they couldn't have waited a couple more weeks, play him in the twos to get some confidence back and then send him back to the ones without the face mask. The only way I'd have rushed him back with that mask on was if it was for a final but it wasn't.

The guy would be taking a pay cut to sit in the same comp he was dominating last year, but this year we aren't playing him in a position that gives him the chance to play like he did last year.

If he went to another club, he'd probably be playing most weeks and make at least double, if not triple what he'd be making this year.

The guy's partner just had a kid... not sure if she worked prior and is now down her wage (possibly).

Now Mannagh turns pro footballer and they'd be doing worse financially because he would have quit his full-time job in Altona and also won't be getting Werribee VFL payments (I do assume he got something for that).

We as a club selected him and have given him a chance... and whilst yes, we don't owe him anything (we got him contracted)... I look at it from afar and think "I don't love how we have gone about this from a human perspective".

I'm not even sure if he lives in Geelong... I wouldn't be surprised if he came from Werribee/Altona area each day.

He worked his ass off to finally be good enough in recruiter's eyes to be drafted... Then draft him and plonk him at full forward in the magoos.

I just don't love it and there's no way he'd be not at least thinking that he would have been better off playing elsewhere.

On the flip side... There is the possibility that got drafted by Freo (who were keen) and he'd be sitting in the WAFL also not playing and have his partner and baby interstate with him (away from support) whilst being basically on minimum wage... I think he'd be playing more if at another club that rated him. If he isn't good enough to be playing half-forward at a different club that is less stacked than us in that position then why would we draft him in the first place.

I also think it's about 5k per match payment... If he is not getting some games in the 1's, I reckon things would be tight.

So for me, I'm not as focused on him playing seniors as Pure_Ownage is, because the position we have him in the VFL deny's him any chance to progress (so I'm not shocked at all he isn't playing).

I'm more looking at it from how we might be doing this guy's career dirty by drafting him and I expect more from us as a club.

There's every chance the shine of his 2023 VFL season could be rubbed off and he being an extra year older means that other clubs may no longer want him.

From an outsider looking in... It's disappointing, although maybe Manngh is chuffed as can be and has no issues.

Why the heck would we use that draft pick on a 175cm 26-year-old and have him playing as an undersized FF in the VFL when he is a dynamic half-forward.

Maybe -but quite a few assumptions in here.

SDK ruck is not simply an experiment
Getting rag-dolled now will pay off in time.
Completive footballers hate being beaten.
This drives them to improve strength and skill.
It accelerates footy smarts and tactical nous.
SDK will learn to use his body to advantage better.
Ability to play multiple positions will benefit team.
Continuous improvement is slow but steady

I agree with this. TDK’s second half was completely different to his first. He was all smiles in the first half and the first bounce of the 3rd quarter lept high and cannoned into his brother. A great sign.

He’s clearly very competitive and hates to lose, if he plays ruck this game I think he’ll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For those unfamiliar with Humphries can observers give some sort of summary and perhaps a likeness to a previous or current player?

Great question, I’m also struggling with a comparison.

I’ve seen him play a couple of games but not a lot. He’s got very good skills - seems to rarely miss a target. Also good decision maker. I was initially thinking Issac Smith without the speed but after thinking about it a little the player who comes to mind now is Andrew Mackie off the half back flank. Unobtrusive, good user, just gets the job done, slips under the radar. Clearly I’m managing expectations here! ;)

Will be interested to hear what others think re a player likeliness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got the financial stuff completely wrong. He was a high school teacher early in his career playing VFL on the side. Absolute max that would've been $100k combined (you can get better money in country footy or Ammos than VFL normally).

As a draftee at pick 36 he gets $110k base plus $4k per AFL game so would be on $118k already. I'm 99% sure there are also smaller VFL match payments for AFL listed players but I can't find details on that. There are also generous allowances on relocations and the club cover many more random expenses like meals than a high school would.

Worst case for him if he's delisted at the end of 2025 is he'll have been probably $70k better off over the 2 years. Not a massive windfall but better than a kick in the teeth and in no way is he worse off now than previously.

Lots of non-educated assumptions for sure from lol.

Maybe, but it is mystifying for onlookers who are keen and emotional for his chance, given form.
For all the reasons you gave, the Club knows what it's doing-and it's investment. There's not much leeway position wise, and there is balance to consider. He was thrown in earlier to try and impress, played well but displayed errors. It's not unusual to blood players in the VFL, our way- if you look at our past players, albeit a bit younger than Shaun. Patience, grasshopper.

Last edited:
Yeah, he had a tough gig playing a different role, but for mine the bigger issue was that he was totally unprepared for how his opponent came at him physically.

I reckon TDK knows better than anyone about Sam's reluctance to engage with physicality, and took full advantage of that knowledge. He went at Sam hard, and Sam wilted.

To his credit he bounced back a bit in the second half. Hopefully that was the result of a rising self determination to not accept the bullying anymore, and to become more physical himself.

It'll be an interesting watch. We need the vintage 2022 Sam back.
SDK needs to send some time in front of a mirror chanting “I SEE PRIDE! I SEE POWER!”

I disagree.

We traded for that draft pick... we wanted it... Wells wanted Mannagh.

In time there will be some good players pop up that went after Mannagh in the draft (Humphries one of them).

We took the draft pick because we were offered picks 9 & 36 for pick 8 and it was a no-brainer. We didn't do the trade to get Mannagh.

I agree with this. TDK’s second half was completely different to his first. He was all smiles in the first half and the first bounce of the 3rd quarter lept high and cannoned into his brother. A great sign.

He’s clearly very competitive and hates to lose, if he plays ruck this game I think he’ll be okay.

My thinking is about letting SDK out of the lock down task he has now. He has much to offer, in fact IMO, much more to offer, further up the ground.

Last week and for many weeks now I have been saying to family as we watch that we cannot win an aerial contest. On the wing or further forward. SDK is about the only hope of winning pack contests in the air on our list. Stewart intercept marks which is different to being on the end of release kicks / kick ins / forward entries. Conway is still in development.

SDK may even be stagnating at FB. His work this year has looked like his heart is not in defending. Maybe he wants to attack. That may even have been a discussion that's been had, and we are seeing the obvious first attempt to free him up. I would be keen to see him continue in this role (or even forward if we don't improve our forward efficiency) at least till season end.

Ok. So what I want to see at the bounce tomorrow…

Centre line.

Knevitt. Holmes. Dempsey

Followers.

SDK. Dangerfield. Stewart

Humphries starting on half back flank. Happy to have Blitz start in backline.

Sub. Duncan
That's how good our mids are going.

Holmes, SDK and Stewart all started the year in the backline... Now they could be starting mids/ruck.

Funny thing is... I don't even hate it.

Conway is a far better option playing ruck than SDK. Is there any legitimate reason he’s not in the team? If it’s lack of fitness sorry I’m not buying it. Blicavs can take over when he needs a spell. At the moment we have this ridiculous situation playing SDK in the ruck which he’s 1. no good at and 2. it throws the team balance out.

Unless we are tanking.
cat tank GIF

Chris Scott says Lawson won’t be the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back