Autopsy Rd 18 Blues storm home to beat Pies and honour Serge

Who played well for the Blues vs the Pies in Round 18?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching the replay again as my daily quarantine entertainment. Our first half was much better than the Pies despite the score. H and Jsos both dropped 3 marks inside 50 in the first quarter alone. H must have dropped about 8 for the game. Combine that with the number of times we had the ball marked around the 50 and stuffed up the play inside 50 - Newnes handpass to Kennedy who ran to far and was smothered, Cotrell who had H one on one but hesitated and handpassed to Newman on his wrong side who fumbled and gave it back, Newman who didn't see the open man till told by Weiters and then kicked into the approaching opposition.

Jones needs to have a good look at the tape.

Henry's first goal was a result of pies marking outside 50 and then he stayed guarding Noble near the man on the mark rather than following his man Cameron I50. Newman had a mismatch on Cameron which allowed Henry to float in.

Henry's second goal came from him manning the mark on Grundy rather than going back to fill his role in the backline, allowing a hole from a slow kick in. Team mates have a role in this as someone else should have been providing this cover

Sidebottoms goal in the 3rd was Jones leaving Elliot to cover Cameron but being in no mans land allowing the easy goal when the ball was kicked to his man. SPS was close enough to put pressure on Cameron if he played on

We were lucky a few times when the ball went over the back of the pack they didn't have anyone there. A good small forward would have kicked 2 or 3.

You don't want to pay a premium for a ruck now with Pittonet and Mirkov there. We have OMac, Gov, the ageing Levi and obviously SOS that can pinch hit in there. TDK still very young and not been consistently fit, happy to persist with him and make sure we are using the cap to snare important mids and key position players.

After watching the replay again as my daily quarantine entertainment. Our first half was much better than the Pies despite the score. H and Jsos both dropped 3 marks inside 50 in the first quarter alone. H must have dropped about 8 for the game. Combine that with the number of times we had the ball marked around the 50 and stuffed up the play inside 50 - Newnes handpass to Kennedy who ran to far and was smothered, Cotrell who had H one on one but hesitated and handpassed to Newman on his wrong side who fumbled and gave it back, Newman who didn't see the open man till told by Weiters and then kicked into the approaching opposition.

Jones needs to have a good look at the tape.

Henry's first goal was a result of pies marking outside 50 and then he stayed guarding Noble near the man on the mark rather than following his man Cameron I50. Newman had a mismatch on Cameron which allowed Henry to float in.

Henry's second goal came from him manning the mark on Grundy rather than going back to fill his role in the backline, allowing a hole from a slow kick in. Team mates have a role in this as someone else should have been providing this cover

Sidebottoms goal in the 3rd was Jones leaving Elliot to cover Cameron but being in no mans land allowing the easy goal when the ball was kicked to his man. SPS was close enough to put pressure on Cameron if he played on

We were lucky a few times when the ball went over the back of the pack they didn't have anyone there. A good small forward would have kicked 2 or 3.
Jones has so many brain fades a game. It's either elite or putrid - mainly elite so I guess you have to view his performances as a whole because I don't want him to lose audacious style of defending and inhibit his natural instinct/get in his head too much.

You don't want 2X 2m KPF roaming around the forward line - too imobile.

Bring back Charlie and then H sort of needs to cover some of the ruckwork like Daniher does. Otherwise your looking at bringing back Pitt and TDK is perfect for the forward Ruck, but you lose a runner. Playing a second ruck as a forward is going to give you a very limited game like Cameron played on the weekend 1 goal 7 possessions 5 hitouts., With opposition defenders taking a heap of intercepts.

Lions did okay with Hipwood, Daniher McStay. WC with NicNat, Allen, Williams. Port with Dixon, Ladhams, Lycett and so on.

Pitto is break glass for me, so another developing TDK would suit.

I agree on the H call, 5 or so minutes, when Charlie is back

... and was borderline rubbish at both. Don't want Callum Sinclair, or someone who is like Callum Sinclair.

Underrated and would certainly start ahead of Levi over the last couple of years, but there are a number of similar options, so don't get too caught up in the name

Lions did okay with Hipwood, Daniher McStay. WC with NicNat, Allen, Williams. Port with Dixon, Ladhams, Lycett and so on.

Pitto is break glass for me, so another developing TDK would suit.

I agree on the H call, 5 or so minutes, when Charlie is back
Each of the players you have on that list has been criticised at times for not fulfilling their primary position.

There is really a single hybrid position player over the last 20 years I'd take, and that's Dustin Martin (hybrid CHF/inside mid).
Underrated and would certainly start ahead of Levi over the last couple of years, but there are a number of similar options, so don't get too caught up in the name
I know, and you say that when it comes to most of the prospects for the role. But the difference in opinion isn't in the player, but in the role.

I don't want a second ruck/KPF at all. The role doesn't interest me. It isn't demonstrated to be more effective than just keeping your 2nd KPF in front of the ball and using the extra mid.

Like an old fashioned Pommy 'all rounder'. Not good enough to get in the team for batting or bowling, but adds the semblance of flexibility.

not the place for it but England went through a stage where they tried to play 2 all rounders, one more of a batsman (David Capel, Adam Hollioake type) one a bowling all rounder (Defreitas or tried to make Darren Gough into a capable bat).

Cricket is a more individual game. There is a place for players who competently play 2 positions in a footy team as long as they contribute and enhance others efforts.

Each of the players you have on that list has been criticised at times for not fulfilling their primary position.

There is really a single hybrid position player over the last 20 years I'd take, and that's Dustin Martin (hybrid CHF/inside mid).

I know, and you say that when it comes to most of the prospects for the role. But the difference in opinion isn't in the player, but in the role.

I don't want a second ruck/KPF at all. The role doesn't interest me. It isn't demonstrated to be more effective than just keeping your 2nd KPF in front of the ball and using the extra mid.

Doing that, you would actually become less effective. All the genuine top sides have a mainstay KPF (who actually does some ruck work) then a 2nd KPF, that does do genuine chopout ruck minutes.

I wouldn't go into a game on a regular basis/strategy gameplan, with a main ruckman, then a Grigg type.

It could/will work on occasions, but not, when you are a serious contender

Doing that, you would actually become less effective. All the genuine top sides have a mainstay KPF (who actually does some ruck work) then a 2nd KPF, that does do genuine chopout ruck minutes.

I wouldn't go into a game on a regular basis/strategy gameplan, with a main ruckman, then a Grigg type.

It could/will work on occasions, but not, when you are a serious contender
My problem with this is that a team has won a flag using Grigg as a ruckman, and that it's a bit of a joke reflects the conventional mindset. But the AFL is built on coaches and players who defied convention, and I hardly need to give you a history lesson to provide you evidence for this.

I want us to innovate, and it's funny the degree to which AFL coaches refuse to until a) their jobs are on the line and/or b) they have absolutely no choice due to circumstance.

This is an area in which we can innovate, as we have two KPP potential midfielders (Jack, Cripps) who are in all probability too slow to attend centre bounces. Take advantage of the situation as it has presented itself, and give yourself some raw stats to demonstrate that something will not work as opposed to simply saying 'It's not the done thing!'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Pies injury list. Mihocek listed as "abdominal" injury, to be tested, but recovering okay.
Abdominal ? I am surprised not bruised/cracked ribs.

I hope he recovers soon. Wouldn't ever wish an injury to an opponent.

But love seeing Stocker's controlled aggression within the spirit and laws of the game. Plenty more to come, I reckon.

My problem with this is that a team has won a flag using Grigg as a ruckman, and that it's a bit of a joke reflects the conventional mindset. But the AFL is built on coaches and players who defied convention, and I hardly need to give you a history lesson to provide you evidence for this.

I want us to innovate, and it's funny the degree to which AFL coaches refuse to until a) their jobs are on the line and/or b) they have absolutely no choice due to circumstance.

This is an area in which we can innovate, as we have two KPP potential midfielders (Jack, Cripps) who are in all probability too slow to attend centre bounces. Take advantage of the situation as it has presented itself, and give yourself some raw stats to demonstrate that something will not work as opposed to simply saying 'It's not the done thing!'

No issue with innovation, but neither scenario is innovative

Before 6 6 6, Grigg style ruckmen could and were effective, now every decent side is playing taller and that will only continue

The only innovation from here on end, would be to send 4 midfielders to the centre bounce and not contest the ruck contest, but why would you concede first hands on the ball

Back to representive junior footy, we sent 2 ruckmen to centre bounces, but they were agile giants.

There's some classy stuff on Twitter these days..

View attachment 1184267
In actuality any north player will have to wait till they can rustle up a quorum of supporters in any award that requires people to vote.

If 10% of our supporters vote then our players beats theirs with 100% of their supporters vote.

At least they have the old shinboner spirit (whatever the hell that is)

In actuality any north player will have to wait till they can rustle up a quorum of supporters in any award that requires people to vote.

If 10% of our supporters vote then our players beats theirs with 100% of their supporters vote.

which makes it a dumb way to decide who wins awards/nominations doesnt it (im not saying JSOS didnt deserve it this week)

I always found the shinbone to be quite feeble …

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 18 Blues storm home to beat Pies and honour Serge

Back