Preview Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a week where you worry about the future. If they think Bews has to come in for a specific job on Hill or Elliott, then he is in.

I think that Papley burst in the Swans game had them revisiting their views on Bews.

He has been edging closer to a game.
so Bews is being considered for a lock down small back role?
Pies definitely going to have a small forward line
Hopefully it's a dry night for us

He kicked 41 goals last season as a 20 year old - ranked equal 15th across the AFL. He's fine.
I also hate what he doesn’t bring, it pisses me off actually, but…it’s pretty hard to argue with that one stat hey. They don’t grow on trees guys that can kick 40 plus goals in a year.

O. Henry if im not mistaken has almost always played in teams featuring Hawkins and Cameron.

If Neale is in to replace Hawkins, why does that setup change?
In my opinion if you want a 3rd tall you only play one of Henry and Rohan. I'm choosing Rohan for his defensive pressure. I think he makes the forward line work better but also the pressure on the rebound helps the mids defend better and by extension the backline defend better.

Henry is a good player who I'm sure will be a great player in time. But I think Rohan makes the whole team better

Rohan ahead of Henry is laughable to me. It's humorous to me just how many people think that all 22 of the players that take the field should be bonafide superstars.
With respect Rohan's last 2 weeks have been vintage - 2 goals , 12 touches in each game and back to his old predatory best with intense pressure.
I'm a JH fan but I don't think he and Rohan in the same side give us the right balance so to me it's either , not both.
On current form Rohan gets the nod IMO.

Edit - apologies for repeating what other posters have mentioned , need to read ahead :)

Chris Scott certainly made a strong case today for Bews to play but stopped short of saying he was a definite. Knevitt was similar.

Only challenge I see is who would be the two outs. Clarke the most likely, and I suspect Duncan might get a "rest". Mannagh and Humphries stay.
Seriously Scott must have favourites. I'd be amazed if Bews get elevated given his body of work in the VFL which is ok at best. Mullin would be in front of him for the type of role they play. Bews isn't the player he once was. He would be too slow to tag Bobby Hill, maybe they could play him on Jamie Elliott.

No one is saying he doesnt have potential or is a dud. He just isnt good enough right now given the makeup of our foward line. Age is irrelevant when you are picking the team for right now. And whether we believe it or not we are in the race for a flag at the backend of a season. The right now is all we should be focussing on.
That's it. I can take it no more, it has been years of this now.
Grammar Nazi time. Fix your autocorrect. It is forward, not foward.

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

I'm glad I finally got that off my chest.

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF by Laff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modern game is unforgiving on such players. A bit more height would get him a spot in any team but he is stuck in the ‘middle’ range. Does he play as a forward in the magoos? Not sure that will help him add strings to his bow. He definitely has talent though. Maybe a big aerobic pre season or two. I think I remember him running down his bro in a Collingwood game(??) so he does have it in him.
He has huge talent, he just is not suited to modern footy or a level of game plan that elite teams play.

You need all six forwards influencing between forward fifty and defensive fifty applying pressure and linking up in transition.

O Henry in all honesty is probably our worst forward at this, he is a liability placed onto our other forwards trying to shoulder the work he doesn’t do.

Having 6 forwards involved compared to 5 makes a HUGE difference to the dynamics.

I don’t care about his occasional grab and his usual 2 goal output. His overall game hurts the team as a whole

Seriously Scott must have favourites. I'd be amazed if Bews get elevated given his body of work in the VFL which is ok at best. Mullin would be in front of him for the type of role they play. Bews isn't the player he once was. He would be too slow to tag Bobby Hill, maybe they could play him on Jamie Elliott.
Glad you said it. Bews form has only been okay. I get the logic because of their small forwards but them being too small might be an advantage. Don't just bring in a small back (particularly if their not that good which I'm not sure Bews is anymore) to play on them, you just lose any advantage you might've had and your poorer player gets beaten by a better one.

If Bews wasn't Bews, he wouldn't be considered this week at all. It's not like just because pies forward line is small we'd bring in.......can't actually think of any alternative AFL listed small back in the VFL.

Just for clarity with O Henry. He has embarrassingly low disposal numbers and averages 1 tackle a game. All our other medium forwards excluding Rohan who is and always has been unique with his output, are averaging between 2-4 tackles a game and getting a lot more of the ball.

This is a weak argument. There's tons of good medium sized forwards: Will Hayward, Bayley Fritsch, Jake Waterman, Kyle Langford, Jake Stringer, Mitch Georgiades. This board does the wildest mental gymnastics to convince itself of problems we don't have.
Mitch G is 192 cm , Waterman 191, Langford 191, Ollie is listed on various sites between 187 and 189
Fritch and Hayward probably the closest, but have bags of tricks arguably a little more versatile in their team setups…
I like Ollie, and he has certainly shown something, but as long as Rohan is performing he has no obvious role.
Time is on his side though.

Mitch G is 192 cm , Waterman 191, Langford 191, Ollie is listed on various sites between 187 and 189
Fritch and Hayward probably the closest, but have bags of tricks arguably a little more versatile in their team setups…
I like Ollie, and he has certainly shown something, but as long as Rohan is performing he has no obvious role.
Rohan is a very rare type of player who at his best has moments of huge impact based off acceleration and power that very few can offer. His perceived pressure chasing is off the charts as well. He is apples and oranges with o Henry.

O Henry is more your bread and butter marking medium forward. A key forward trapped in a medium forwards body

Last edited:
I think he's better than his height number, but we can't pretend he's a kp and send it to him in contested making situations where he's the target. We need to use him in space and he doesn't get that without bigger players drawing those defenders away from the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back