Preview Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute danger game against the Pies. All their injuries they will be pushing all the "backs against the wall" and "saving their season" stuff.

That said hopefully what we serve up to the Pies is the same as what happened to us last year around the same time where they lose a couple [loss V Cats and next week loss V Hawks], get a cheap win [V Tigers in Rd 20] before it crumbles on the run in [Pies have Blues @MCG, Swans @SCG, Lions @MCG and lastly Demons @MCG].

Nice of the AFL to look after the Pies though, 7 games left in the season and 6 of those at the MCG.

Meanwhile we go MCG, GMHBA, Tasmania, GMHBA, Optus, Marvel then GMHBA.
They're a good team underperforming. I expect the media bake will have them out for blood

Rushing Jamie Elliot back in with zero game time in 2 months and taking a ridiculous approach giving mcstay a game after only 8 months with an ACL shows that collingwood are desperate to push for a flag and can probably see things fading off.

They will be all steam ahead Friday as top 4 is gone if they lose.

Rushing Jamie Elliot back in with zero game time in 2 months and taking a ridiculous approach giving mcstay a game after only 8 months with an ACL shows that collingwood are desperate to push for a flag and can probably see things fading off.

They will be all steam ahead Friday as top 4 is gone if they lose.

Reckon if we can match them early (or better yet, get on top like last week) we'll be in the box seat for a win. Not that it won't be tight - wouldn't expect more than a 3-4 goal win, but their "close game closer" aura has been well and truly dented.

What irritates me is the Pies can use the injury excuse to explain their performance this season this year :thumbsdown:

We had our own injury concerns last year and lack of continuity from week to week

Reckon if we can match them early (or better yet, get on top like last week) we'll be in the box seat for a win. Not that it won't be tight - wouldn't expect more than a 3-4 goal win, but their "close game closer" aura has been well and truly dented.
They have dropped off 1% this year.. and that’s all that it takes to go from a side winning by 1-2 goals to losing

They have dropped off 1% this year.. and that’s all that it takes to go from a side winning by 1-2 goals to losing
I think people get too focused on the fact that Collingwood are some magical force that win close games - even their coach pointed at that in reality it just means that you let the opposition have more of a sniff than you'd like. It's playing with fire.

Lots of sloppy analysis by AFL journos - just like the Cats winning 7-0 before going on a stretch of losses - but not much analysis of a combined losing margin to Port / GWS and Melbourne of 18 points - or for those playing at home that's 3 kicks. Or for anyone interested, the difference being being 5th or a game clear in 2nd on the ladder if we turned two of those games into wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that's what they always tell us. There'll be heaps of empty seats on Friday night.

Check how many of those seats are in the AFL Reserve and MCC - areas that aren't publically available

When I upgraded my GA seat to a reserved seat a couple of weeks back, there was very limited options for upgrading in the public areas

I think people get too focused on the fact that Collingwood are some magical force that win close games - even their coach pointed at that in reality it just means that you let the opposition have more of a sniff than you'd like. It's playing with fire.

Lots of sloppy analysis by AFL journos - just like the Cats winning 7-0 before going on a stretch of losses - but not much analysis of a combined losing margin to Port / GWS and Melbourne of 18 points - or for those playing at home that's 3 kicks. Or for anyone interested, the difference being being 5th or a game clear in 2nd on the ladder if we turned two of those games into wins.
I don’t prescribe to the “collingwood fluke wins” club as you can’t win that many close games by chance. They train and prepare well in regards to scenarios when things get tight. They train and prepare well to go all out for a score and they also train well on how to lock down.

There is skill to it. They just simply are not as good as they were last year.. and that’s all it takes to turn those close games into loses.

I truly believe we are playing a different adjusted game plan the past Fortnite than previous. A lot more contested around the ball and a much higher press than previously.

Our focus on pressuring around the contest has shifted drastically. We are no longer letting teams walk it out around the contest and hope to turn it over across HB.

The confidence that Dangerfield and Stewart bring to a Centre Bounce is second to none. All Australian level players, who are hard at it, tackle to hurt and just ooze leadership would be intimidating for most midfield setups.

Since Stewart has gone into the midfield , the Geel midfield has gone from boiled lollies to Rolled Gold Chocolate

But Frid night is the acid test , must win game , at the MCG , big crowd , plenty of pressure , against a very good midfield , if Stewart can play an exceptional game again in that position , with Dangerfield alongside then Geelongs chances of winning go through the roof

We didnt have B grade midfielders , we had C Minus type midfielders , now we have Stewart and Dangerfield

Interesting to see what we do with O.Henry this week. Clearly you can’t either drop or make sub, Rohan. Yet I’m not sure both can play together? Maybe they can.

The club will be reluctant to back Henry up as sub 2 weeks in a row too I would think. Touhy and Duncan are candidates to sub for management reasons but both have played well the past fortnight.

Interesting to see what we do with O.Henry this week. Clearly you can’t either drop or make sub, Rohan. Yet I’m not sure both can play together? Maybe they can.

The club will be reluctant to back Henry up as sub 2 weeks in a row too I would think. Touhy and Duncan are candidates to sub for management reasons but both have played well the past fortnight.

The six day break may tip one of them over the edge, but they will be very reluctant to leave Duncan out or as sub.

I would rather O Henry not play. He offers absolutely nothing outside of a mark and lead type forward. His liabilities far outweighs his 1-2 goals

I would rather O Henry not play. He offers absolutely nothing outside of a mark and lead type forward. His liabilities far outweighs his 1-2 goals

Did you miss his pass to Cameron in the last quarter on Saturday?

People have also forgotten that Henry did a very good defensive role on Sicily and Harris Andrews in our great run of form earlier in the year.

I wonder what the Win/Loss record is Geel v Coll say for the last 20 years , i reckon it would be very tight 50/50 games split with some real hammerings handed out both ways

Thats why form , or if one side has got quite a few injuries , you dont get over confident , or you can end up dissappointed

No bulldust about 5 years ago at a guess , Buckley was still coaching them , we were warm favourites , and my power went out all day Sat , its like a 3rd world country without electricity , your just waiting for it to come back on , finally came back on that evening , and the woman giving the sports wrap said in an upset Coll have beaten Geel at the MCG ( got jumped in the 1st half ) and i thought can this day get any worse

I’m not a huge fan. He’s a selfish player to my mind. And limited. He is at best a very dangerous mid sized forward who is very good overhead and an excellent set shot. But his inability to provide any defensive support and weakness in contested ball on the ground aren’t great.

I wonder what the Win/Loss record is Geel v Coll say for the last 20 years , i reckon it would be very tight 50/50 games split with some real hammerings handed out both ways

Thats why form , or if one side has got quite a few injuries , you dont get over confident , or you can end up dissappointed

No bulldust about 5 years ago at a guess , Buckley was still coaching them , we were warm favourites , and my power went out all day Sat , its like a 3rd world country without electricity , your just waiting for it to come back on , finally came back on that evening , and the woman giving the sports wrap said in an upset Coll have beaten Geel at the MCG ( got jumped in the 1st half ) and i thought can this day get any worse

50-50 is extremely generous to Collingwood over last 20 years.

I would say 65-35 is more likely.

That is probably one of the better records of any clubs against us, but no way 50-50.

Did you miss his pass to Cameron in the last quarter on Saturday?

People have also forgotten that Henry did a very good defensive role on Sicily and Harris Andrews in our great run of form earlier in the year.
Defensive role on Harris andrews?? I doubt he did such a thing tbh.

He is imo a poor man’s Dan menzel. I would actually say menzel was going to be a star before his knee injuries.

o Henry is just a lead and mark forward who offers absolutely nothing on transition footy between the arcs.

How often do you see Henry linking up between the arcs or tackling players across HB??

He seems more obsessed with running back to goal to get a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back