Preview Rd.18 West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fages will need to pump the boys up to try and just ream the eagles in the first quarter. Tag Harley Reid. Ffs eagles why u do dis.

They've had 11 years with simpson, but waited till this week. Obviously Simpson not looking for a job at the Lions any time soon.

The club issued a brief press statement.

“The West Coast Eagles and senior coach Adam Simpson have mutually agreed that his 11-year tenure at the club will come to an end,” the club stated.

“Simpson, one of only six senior coaches in the 37-year history of the club and one of only three to lead the club to premiership glory, achieved the ultimate success in 2018 to join Michael Malthouse (1992, 1994) and John Worsfold (2006) in bringing the cup to WA.”

Simpson is set to coach his final game on Sunday afternoon when the Eagles host Brisbane at Perth Stadium

okay i have gathered the data!

2023 Dew sacked - Suns beat the saints the week after by 26 points at GC the week after.

2023 Hardwick STANDS DOWN - tigers lose by 10 in much improved effort

2022 - North sack Noble. Week after they beat the tigers (who played final). In fairness north only lost to the pies by a kick the week before.

2022 Leon Cameron STANDS DOWN - gws lose to blues by 30 points at home

2019 - brad scott stands down (but was pushed). North beat Richmond (eventual premier) by 37 points!

2019 - alan richardson resigns but only after being told would not be coaching in 2020 so a sacking really - saints beat dogs by 27 points (dogs finished 7th, saints 14th)

2019 - ross lyon sacked by freo - freo (13th) lose to port (10th) playing away.

2019 - Bolton sacked - surely we all remember the rest! Lions finished second that year, blues 16th

Weird one for 2021 - Bucks steps down. Still coaches that week. Monster upset v eventual premier Melbourne. Not including this but another huge increase in performance

Straight sackings - 4 games, 3 wins.

Include the ones in which the coach was pushed 6 games, 5 wins

Genuine stand down coaches who left amicably - 2 games, 0 wins

All coach exit games - 8 games, 5 wins, 3 losses.

Not surprisingly, every game has the sacked side playing one higher on the ladder, given a sacked coach is generally not gonig well. So us being higher than WCE isn't a saviour, it's the standard. North were dire and still won against a finals bound side full of premiership players.

SO WHAT IS THIS SITUATION? feels like a forced out coach to me. that spells serious trouble. And note only Freo played away from home and played poorly. West Coast will be at home. Think of all those fans who had given up on the season. Watching the hawks kick the first couple of goals and just starting to murmur amongst themselves. They will be energised now, excited to see a new chapter. Some fresh players come in desperate to prove themselves.

I was at the carlton match, they started with so much enthusiasm. we really did get a very weird 40 odd point lead. but as soon as the blues kicked a couple the crowd just believed and they stormed all over us

At home this year they have beaten Freo, lost by a goal to Essendon, run Sydney pretty close (only kicked away right at the end), and beaten Melbourne pretty comfortably.
WCE have been very good at home already, at different stages. Was always going to be a tough game. It's a good test and would have been had Simpson not been sacked.

Our away form has improved, I think we'll be right.

“The West Coast Eagles and senior coach Adam Simpson have mutually agreed that his 11-year tenure at the club will come to an end,” the club stated.

“Simpson, one of only six senior coaches in the 37-year history of the club and one of only three to lead the club to premiership glory, achieved the ultimate success in 2018 to join Michael Malthouse (1992, 1994) and John Worsfold (2006) in bringing the cup to WA.”

Simpson is set to coach his final game on Sunday afternoon when the Eagles host Brisbane at Perth Stadium
"Eagles CEO Don Pyke says the club would like departing coach Adam Simpson to coach for one more time this weekend against the Lions. Simpson's reply: "We haven't made that decision yet..."

2023 Dew sacked - Suns beat the saints the week after by 26 points at GC the week after.

2022 - North sack Noble. Week after they beat the tigers (who played final). In fairness north only lost to the pies by a kick the week before.

2019 - brad scott stands down (but was pushed). North beat Richmond (eventual premier) by 37 points!

2019 - alan richardson resigns but only after being told would not be coaching in 2020 so a sacking really - saints beat dogs by 27 points (dogs finished 7th, saints 14th)

2019 - Bolton sacked - surely we all remember the rest! Lions finished second that year, blues 16th

Weird one for 2021 - Bucks steps down. Still coaches that week. Monster upset v eventual premier Melbourne. Not including this but another huge increase in performance

Not surprisingly, every game has the sacked side playing one higher on the ladder, given a sacked coach is generally not gonig well. So us being higher than WCE isn't a saviour, it's the standard. North were dire and still won against a finals bound side full of premiership players.

SO WHAT IS THIS SITUATION? feels like a forced out coach to me. that spells serious trouble. And note only Freo played away from home and played poorly. West Coast will be at home. Think of all those fans who had given up on the season. Watching the hawks kick the first couple of goals and just starting to murmur amongst themselves. They will be energised now, excited to see a new chapter. Some fresh players come in desperate to prove themselves.

I was at the carlton match, they started with so much enthusiasm. we really did get a very weird 40 odd point lead. but as soon as the blues kicked a couple the crowd just believed and they stormed all over us
Good sign that Simpson is at the pressa and sounds not bitter at all. Maybe this will be more like Dimma / Leon Cameron...

"Eagles CEO Don Pyke says the club would like departing coach Adam Simpson to coach for one more time this weekend against the Lions. Simpson's reply: "We haven't made that decision yet..."
Interesting. Definitely not sacked coach vibes. Not sure what to hope for though because Bucks did this and they demolishe eventual premier melbourne!

Forward to the club because they seem to miss these memos just like when all and sundry were saying in the week leading up to the Hawks that we need to be on and that history wasn’t on our side and our efforts in the week before the bye that we lose and we dished up what we did says to me, unless we have a professional mindset we’ll lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward to the club because they seem to miss these memos just like when all and sundry were saying in the week leading up to the Hawks that we need to be on and that history wasn’t on our side and our efforts in the week before the bye that we lose and we dished up what we did says to me, unless we have a professional mindset we’ll lose.
Simpson "1 last game boys, give me everything you have"

Ffs the double whammy, sacked respected premiership coach will be coaching the game as a last hoorah.

Hopefully there’s a bit of unrest at the club this week, with it not being clear if Simmo will coach this weekend and a few sheepish senior players feeling guilty about being caught out sending messages that indirectly resulted in his sacking. Bring in a caretaker coach at the last minute, so they still play to the current gameplan.

It’s on our boys to come out and play a hard first quarter and kick goals with our opportunities. Take some of the “let’s do it for Simmo” motivation away, and replace it with “what a shit week, just let it be over” despondency.

Hopefully there’s a bit of unrest at the club this week, with it not being clear if Simmo will coach this weekend and a few sheepish senior players feeling guilty about being caught out sending messages that indirectly resulted in his sacking. Bring in a caretaker coach at the last minute, so they still play to the current gameplan.

It’s on our boys to come out and play a hard first quarter and kick goals with our opportunities. Take some of the “let’s do it for Simmo” motivation away, and replace it with “what a shit week, just let it be over” despondency.
Start is huge. If they get a flyer will really get them up and about.

BUT we did get 6 goals up against the blues in the same circumstance. My worry is we have let teams get a run-on this year. So whether it's the start or 2nd or 3rd quarter, the crowd will be willing them on and they will get momentum, our challenge is to snuff that out. A bit of a worry given we failed to do that recently v Saints and Melbourne. Although tbf we did it really well v Port when they had a couple of small runs.

The one bonus is surely, SURELY we are on our toes for this one. Fages should mention 2019.

I’m calling it the Sacked Sally. Like a medieval siege the team under fire comes out to deal a blow unexpectedly before going back to their castle.

At home this year they have beaten Freo, lost by a goal to Essendon, run Sydney pretty close (only kicked away right at the end), and beaten Melbourne pretty comfortably.
WCE have been very good at home already, at different stages. Was always going to be a tough game. It's a good test and would have been had Simpson not been sacked.

Our away form has improved, I think we'll be right.
I think the Sydney game was gather round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back