Preview Rd 19 Geel V Port Sat July 23 435pm (AEST) @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And by the sounds of it **article is on the afl website + there socials - they're looking to be more attacking this week. Mid season pu & ruckman Teakle likely rushed back.
Dixon more time fwd, Lachy Jones back this week and likely fwd and speculatively Fantasia might be risked to come straight in.
For this reason I see our run home very tough. Teams all capable of good performances and great footy who are vulnerable and desperate for wins.

If saints power bulldogs all bring their best footy it will be a hell of a match. Gold Coast up there are dangerous also.

Main worry is their unorthodox ruck division, Stanley can struggle when he is the one who is supposed to be leading the dance.

They have a solid midfield, we should have aerial dominance if we can stop the game from being a running match.

Round 4 last year vs Melbourne - we had that tight win over Hawthorn the week before and Melbourne got the better of us a week later
Yep - got it. Thank you. The Dees knocked us off at 3 different venues last year.

For this reason I see our run home very tough. Teams all capable of good performances and great footy who are vulnerable and desperate for wins.

If saints power bulldogs all bring their best footy it will be a hell of a match. Gold Coast up there are dangerous also.
If it is that tough, good thing we are not playing any team in the current top 8.

You should see the other top 4 teams runs home. Playing each other, Collingwood, Carlton and a desperate Richmond (after previous ridiculous losses). Often away from home.

Geelong are left with a rag tag bunch of teams that have mostly had disappointing seasons. Much prefer to be playing them than the likes of Freo, Brisbane, Sydney and Collingwood.

You should see the other top 4 teams runs home. Playing each other, Collingwood, Carlton and a desperate Richmond (after previous ridiculous losses). Often away from home.

Geelong are left with a rag tag bunch of teams that have mostly had disappointing seasons. Much prefer to be playing them than the likes of Freo, Brisbane, Sydney and Collingwood.

And three games at home.

It is their season just about, we have a few sides we will be facing who are very desperate clinging for wins, actually all of them might be bar west coast.

Need to be very switched on
I think this is a great thing. I hope we are challenged and made to work for the wins. This is great preparation for our finals campaign IMO.

Tuohy and now Henry are informing the world that the Cats can go to another level and be better in the finals. This is the sort of talk Scott used to go in for and probably still does.

And it's true we can and do go to another level in the finals, usually a lower one. Talk is cheap.

My point is the Cats should just focus on winning the next game; "going to another level' several weeks hence is at this stage wishful thinking. They may "have more improvement" in them - todays' Age - according to Henry; but it's far easier to utter the words than to do the deed.

Tuohy and now Henry are informing the world that the Cats can go to another level and be better in the finals. This is the sort of talk Scott used to go in for and probably still does.

And it's true we can and do go to another level in the finals, usually a lower one. Talk is cheap.

My point is the Cats should just focus on winning the next game; "going to another level' several weeks hence is at this stage wishful thinking. They may "have more improvement" in them - todays' Age - according to Henry; but it's far easier to utter the words than to do the deed.
"We think we've peaked and have definitely played our best footy. We have no room for improvement"

"We want to be playing our best footy at the pointy end of the season". Scott has uttered this nonsense in various forms many times over the years. First it's a cliche. Second, wanting is not doing. Third, look at what happens.

"We want to be playing our best footy at the pointy end of the season". Scott has uttered this nonsense in various forms many times over the years. First it's a cliche. Second, wanting is not doing. Third, look at what happens.
You realize these guys don't call up journo's just to tell them what's on their mind, right? They are asked a question, and answer it. What would you prefer them to say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is that tough, good thing we are not playing any team in the current top 8.
As you are aware, the top 12 is relevant. Any of the top 12 can make it. GC (12th) has 8 wins, and Tigers(8th) has 9 wins.
And our 2 of our 4 losses have been against teams outside the current top 8.

You realize these guys don't call up journo's just to tell them what's on their mind, right? They are asked a question, and answer it. What would you prefer them to say?
'We're taking it one week at a time.'

Or 'Every game is a danger game'.

Or even 'We'll just worry about the process and let the results look after themselves'.

See? All of those empty platitudes make you feel so much better about how switched on and 'different' the team is this year. :rolleyes:

The idea that any of the public utterances made by anyone associated with the club make any real difference to the performance of the team on the field has always seemed like complete nonsense to me. The outrage about 'It's kind of "mission accomplished" a little bit' (Scott's actual words on the night) is totally out of proportion to what effect it would have actually had on the outcome of any subsequent Cats game in that finals series.

And, given the consistent messaging from those who fume at every loose phrase they hear coming from someone down at the club is that 'actions speak louder than words', you'd have to wonder why they think any of it matters. It's entirely logically inconsistent to say that the words don't count for anything and then bleat about them as if they carry some weight in determining whether we're going to be a chance in any upcoming matches.

Last edited:
I prefer to ignore almost all of it actually. It's just filler for the insatiable media machine.
Why do paparazzi take photos of celebs taking out the garbage...to have a fresh image to go along with an inane report, if that. Why do AFL "journos" :laughv1: ask such pointless questions? To get sound and vision to fill space. Cliches are part of the charade.
Fortunately there are players who are bit more playful, like Tuohey, who'll throw in a bit of actual 'content'. :)
But to be expecting anything approaching actual 'information' is quixotic.

I prefer to ignore almost all of it actually. It's just filler for the insatiable media machine.
Why do paparazzi take photos of celebs taking out the garbage...to have a fresh image to go along with an inane report, if that. Why do AFL "journos" :laughv1: ask such pointless questions? To get sound and vision to fill space. Cliches are part of the charade.
Fortunately there are players who are bit more playful, like Tuohey, who'll throw in a bit of actual 'content'. :)
But to be expecting anything approaching actual 'information' is quixotic.

Back in the day we were considered some struggling backwater, it was Collingwood sells newspapers, and consequently, memberships.
We were also ignored for any sort of game coverage, when only select games were shown on replay. Krock/3GL was our saviour.
Our media department, in it's infancy, was very rudimentary at the bottom of the totem pole.
They've been all over us since 2007, any publicity is good publicity, no matter how inane.

Last edited:
As you are aware, the top 12 is relevant. Any of the top 12 can make it. GC (12th) has 8 wins, and Tigers(8th) has 9 wins.
And our 2 of our 4 losses have been against teams outside the current top 8.
Our future opponents outside of the eight are inconsistent. It is much better to be playing them than say Lions or Freo away, or Pies at the G.

Yeah, how dare footy clubs be optimistic and talk up their chances. They need to sit around calling themselves chokers and bed shutters instead.

Pretty straight forward this week, Parfitt for Menegola, possibly one player "managed" and that's about it you'd think.

Going to get more complicated from here though, who goes out for Stewart the following week (O'Connor/Guthrie?) does Menegola come straight back in, and if so who does he replace (Miers/Rohan?)

Good problem to have I suppose, but at least two players are going to be unlucky.

Pretty straight forward this week, Parfitt for Menegola, possibly one player "managed" and that's about it you'd think.

Going to get more complicated from here though, who goes out for Stewart the following week (O'Connor/Guthrie?) does Menegola come straight back in, and if so who does he replace (Miers/Rohan?)

Good problem to have I suppose, but at least two players are going to be unlucky.
I know it won't happen, but if I was in charge, Rohan would not be playing finals. He can help us get there, but he shouldn't be playing. He's not played a good final. He won't magically start this season.

Yeah, how dare footy clubs be optimistic and talk up their chances. They need to sit around calling themselves chokers and bed shutters instead.
Some just don't like to be positive and prefer to look in the rear vision mirror. I think they're scared of getting their hopes up. I kind of get it in a way, but following this sport is like a rollercoaster ride...you've just got to embrace it, ride the bumps and enjoy all the wins along the way. I have loved the last couple of months..I went to the Carlton game and just loved being there to see a great win. The Richmond game was a classic, if you didn't enjoy that you might as well give it up. Others will remain firmly focussed on finals and won't enjoy the wins along the way..it's a flag or bust for many and it's a bit sad they can't relax and enjoy some fantasic H&A wins against quality opposition.

I'm really looking forward to this weeks game against Port and riding all the bumps over four quarters in what's another challenging game, but others in their mind will only accept a 30+ point win and even if we win by 100, they'll just say "but we need to do it in finals" and they won't derive any enjoyment at all regardless of the outcome.

I know it won't happen, but if I was in charge, Rohan would not be playing finals. He can help us get there, but he shouldn't be playing. He's not played a good final. He won't magically start this season.
Kicked 3.1 in the 2020 prelim against Brisbane at the GABBA. That's a pretty handy contribution.

But I agree he has had many poor finals. I think being a forward he might actually benefit from what is clearly a much more balanced side with a midfield that is performing well under opposition pressure, that might give him better delivery as a forward now and he might contribute a bit better..

I think it's fair to say that it's been tough being a Cats forward in a few finals over the years when it's bombed onto their heads under pressure. We look different now.

It's pretty hard not be optimistic. Almost like the stars are aligning. The Cats have been here many times in the past several years but I was never really convinced. It's a different feeling with this team. Tackling pressure, ball movement, players have stepped up. The bottom 3 or 4 in the 22 each week are no longer liabilities. The coaches and players should be congratulated.

Some just don't like to be positive and prefer to look in the rear vision mirror. I think they're scared of getting their hopes up. I kind of get it in a way, but following this sport is like a rollercoaster ride...you've just got to embrace it, ride the bumps and enjoy all the wins along the way. I have loved the last couple of months..I went to the Carlton game and just loved being there to see a great win. The Richmond game was a classic, if you didn't enjoy that you might as well give it up. Others will remain firmly focussed on finals and won't enjoy the wins along the way..it's a flag or bust for many and it's a bit sad they can't relax and enjoy some fantasic H&A wins against quality opposition.

I'm really looking forward to this weeks game against Port and riding all the bumps over four quarters in what's another challenging game, but others in their mind will only accept a 30+ point win and even if we win by 100, they'll just say "but we need to do it in finals" and they won't derive any enjoyment at all regardless of the outcome.
Great post. Agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back