Preview Rd 19 Geel V Port Sat July 23 435pm (AEST) @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, but it's been well documented by past players that Scott will actively BS his way through press conferences and then address the players with his actual thoughts. Stevie J has a great chapter in his book about it.

During 2011 Scott was doing exactly what he always does. All the cliches in full effect. It's an even competition, Collingwood are the benchmark, our best footy is good enough etc. Like a politician he'd say a lot without ever actually saying anything.

As soon as he got the players afterwards it was the complete opposite. Full of bravado and belief in the players.

He's got the media wrapped around his finger and it's great to see. Especially opposed to someone like Bevo who breaks down at the slightest criticism or inquiry (FWIW I do like Bevo, but this place would be in shambles if someone like him was our coach)
I think that's precisely the point though. When the media BS that you're putting out there is all about other sides and how good they are and how difficult it is to play against them etc, when internally you just know you can knock them off in your sleep - great!

I liked for e.g. how he pumped Hinkley up in his recent presser, saying that whenever you face PA its clear they have a well-considered plan and throw something unique at you every time. It's probably true, but it's also smart as it shifts the pressure from you to your opposition.

But when it's about apparently how good we are going to be in finals, or how we're doing things now that will see results later, or how we've achieved consistency off the back of a complete rebuild without any high draft picks, or how we're building to a point where we just win every game we play.. That's the kind of talk what gets me nervous.

It's not that the comments will necessarily have a negative affect on the team, it's that they betray an already existing underlying weakness or uncertainty. Only someone who's unsure about themselves needs to say to the world how good they'll be.

I think that's precisely the point though. When the media BS that you're putting out there is all about other sides and how good they are and how difficult it is to play against them etc, when internally you just know you can knock them off in your sleep - great!

I liked for e.g. how he pumped Hinkley up in his recent presser, saying that whenever you face PA its clear they have a well-considered plan and throw something unique at you every time. It's probably true, but it's also smart as it shifts the pressure from you to your opposition.

But when it's about apparently how good we are going to be in finals, or how we're doing things now that will see results later, or how we've achieved consistency off the back of a complete rebuild without any high draft picks, or how we're building to a point where we just win every game we play.. That's the kind of talk what gets me nervous.

It's not that the comments will necessarily have a negative affect on the team, it's that they betray an already existing underlying weakness or uncertainty. Only someone who's unsure about themselves needs to say to the world how good they'll be.
I distinctly remember Clarko and Dimma talking like this (while also greatly complimenting rivals) during their flag years.

You should hear the talk coming from contending American sports teams.

You need incredible self belief to succeed at the highest level - if you're winning, it's just a matter of whether you reveal that self belief to the media or not. And it has absolutely zero effect on the performance of the football club.

I distinctly remember Clarko and Dimma talking like this (while also greatly complimenting rivals) during their flag years.

You need incredible self belief to succeed at the highest level - if you're winning, it's just a matter of whether you reveal that self belief to the media or not. And it has absolutely zero effect on the performance of the football club.
Absolutely. People talk about the fact that Scott or the players (or the cleaner, or the postie down at the club) speak this way because they're unsure of themselves and unable to cope with the weight of expectation. As if it's indicative of a great tsunami of exposed inadequacy that is about to overwhelm the club's fortunes.

In reality, though, the problem is much closer to home. It's an individual's own insecurity and sense of being unsure that has them 'concerned' about the messages coming out of the mouths of those at their football club. And, as you say, the messaging behind closed doors is absolutely the only talk that matters. What the media is offered is clearly both unimportant and immaterial to the result of football games.

Nature abhors a vacuum. People from the club are going to speak about how we're going. So I believe you're better off to just acknowledge it and move on rather than working yourself into a lather about what is said or not said. Because I think you can be absolutely certain that the internal talk around the playing group is far more telling than the latest round of media nonsense about who is 'coping with the pressure'.

Last couple of games I've seen (despite the apparently 'worrying' messaging from the people involved when talking to the media), this club is currently coping with the pressure just fine. Still, if our premiership push stalls later this year, I'm sure we'll be reminded of 'the beginning of the end' that was glaringly apparent when Henry dared to suggest we might still improve our footy after Round 18.

#youknowitmakessense

VicWard uses the word "projecting". It was Freud who first wrote about projection in this sense. Interesting because if VW read the 'The Pyschopathology of Everyday Life' he'd see what I'm getting at.

A couple of years ago we finished top of the ladder and on the eve of the finals Scott said, "I think we'll be even better next year." Why was it necessary to say such a thing at that time? It just signalled the message: I'm nor sure how we got here and I'm not sure we can win the flag. And nor did we.

Further, i never get why some posters employ such a nasty tone when responding to the observations of other Cats supporters. We all follow the same team do we not? By definition a forum like this is an invitation for the expression of opinion and it is my considered opinion that the kind of talk I have cited is futile and unproductive - demonstrably so in the case of our team in recent years.
It's pretty clear why posters respond the way they do and it shows a degree of ignorance that you don't know why.

This is an online forum, free for any lowlife to join and get some mystifying joy out of masquerading as a supporter, while they troll the real supporters of the club.

Am I accusing you of being a troll? No. But we see so many on here that when someone like yourself is almost constantly negative it can lead to some posters assuming that you are.

I believe in free speech and you like all of us have a right to an opinion. But if that opinion continues to be constantly negative e.g "Why is it like this? Why are we doing this? Why haven't we done this?" while sitting top of the ladder on an 8 game winning streak then surely you can at least see where some posters vitriol is coming from.

It really is just footy. We have zero control over what is happening out there. If you can't get any joy out of watching this great club perform well each week then I really don't know why you're here. You can melt over a finals loss if/when it happens.

Last edited:

It's all to do with the respective culture of each nations sports.

In America, self belief, ego and even arrogance is applauded. If you can back it up you can basically say whatever you want and the trailblazer for this philosophy was the great Muhammed Ali.

In Australia there's a degree of tall poppy syndrome in sport. We want our players to be good, but never too good. We want them to remember that they are one of us. Self belief is viewed as arrogance and it's created a paradox that the Australian sporting culture can't seem to escape. We cry out for 'The good old days' and 'characters' but the moment anyone responds like a unique, individual human being and not a media trained robot we crucify them.

I'm not entirely sure what Kobe is saying, except that I'm not a troll - for which I am grateful!

I'm a bit nonplused to learn that I don't "get any joy' out of watching us perform. On the contrary I have been passionate about the Cats for approx. 70 years. So there....

Plus I still haven't gotten over 67 (robbed); 89 ( lost it in the first quarter and should probably have won); 92, 94, 95 (not good enough); 2008 ( threw it away); and our recent loss to Richmond which showed we hadn't learnt from our loss to them the previous year.

I'm not entirely sure what Kobe is saying, except that I'm not a troll - for which I am grateful!

I'm a bit nonplused to learn that I don't "get any joy' out of watching us perform. On the contrary I have been passionate about the Cats for approx. 70 years. So there....
I've outlined pretty clearly what my thoughts are. If you can't comprehend basic self reflection then that's your problem. At your age I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In America, self belief, ego and even arrogance is applauded. If you can back it up you can basically say whatever you want and the trailblazer for this philosophy was the great Muhammed Ali.

In Australia there's a degree of tall poppy syndrome in sport. We want our players to be good, but never too good. We want them to remember that they are one of us. Self belief is viewed as arrogance and it's created a paradox that the Australian sporting culture can't seem to escape. We cry out for 'The good old days' and 'characters' but the moment anyone responds like a unique, individual human being and not a media trained robot we crucify them.
Yep that was in the 60s when white youth started adopting black culture as cool. Back then, white sports culture was still about sportsmanship and humility. I remember as a youngster in early~mid 70s going from pats on the butt to giving five. :laughv1:
Everything changed with Ali and the age of mass media. A lot of that arrogance is based in self-promotion. Got the get them dollars up. Of course when you could actually back it up you were a bona fide superstar. US sports is riddled with college athletes who tore it up, built a brand, then bombed in the pros. (the Boz)
I think I agree about the top poppy thing. I can't remember much of it, unless a guy really made himself a lightning rod. Even then it was in part to play the role of the heel as in wrestling.

Yep that was in the 60s when white youth started adopting black culture as cool. Back then, white sports culture was still about sportsmanship and humility. I remember as a youngster in early~mid 70s going from pats on the butt to giving five. :laughv1:
Everything changed with Ali and the age of mass media. A lot of that arrogance is based in self-promotion. Got the get them dollars up. Of course when you could actually back it up you were a bona fide superstar. US sports is riddled with college athletes who tore it up, built a brand, then bombed in the pros. (the Boz)
I think I agree about the top poppy thing. I can't remember much of it, unless a guy really made himself a lightning rod. Even then it was in part to play the role of the heel as in wrestling.
I'm so glad they did and it's awesome to hear your perspective as someone who was there to watch it all unfold. I'm on the younger side but still obsessed with the culture and history of sport and how things came to be and I just wish athletes could actually show their personality here. It would give the game so much more engagement if player's were actually allowed to say what they want to say, not the typical 'Onto next week' 'We're taking it one week at a time' 'It's an honour to be compared to so and so' etc.

Happy to hear what you have to say.
Usually your postings are astute, be they negative or positive.
There are a few overly sensitive folk here who rail against anything which questions the party line.
I’d rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that can’t be questioned

I'm so glad they did and it's awesome to hear your perspective as someone who was there to watch it all unfold. I'm on the younger side but still obsessed with the culture and history of sport and how things came to be and I just wish athletes could actually show their personality here. It would give the game so much more engagement if player's were actually allowed to say what they want to say, not the typical 'Onto next week' 'We're taking it one week at a time' 'It's an honour to be compared to so and so' etc.
When I surf through some of the various sports coverage now, it is interesting to see less of the cliches in the non-marquee players. Big money QBs still talk in cliches, but the ones needing to increase their visibility will speak their mind a bit. The market is really saturated over there now with players doing their own podcasts, SM channels, etc. It's harder to build your own brand as a a young buck.
I also think a lot of the veterans have built up decent portfolios and aren't so inclined to rock the boat anymore. They are wealthy, have families, mortgages, and vote conservative. :)

so. ...about that Rd 19 Port Adelaide game....

Sels 350th and all....

GO CAtters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If rookie ruckman for PA B Teakle is rushed back into there side after time out with a broken collar bone....who takes Dixon likely to spend more time at chf ? And who will take the resting ruckman in Teakle and likely Finlayson ?
Having Stewy out for this last game before he returns might hurt us with being one tall down ?
In what could be a major reshuffle PA are also looking at bringing in Lachie Jones *as a pressure fwd & a major risk selection in Fantasia straight back after being out all season with soft tissue injuries. Dursma, Dumont and Burgoyne who were all travelling emg's to Alice last w/e will be in the mix also. This is Port's last roll of the dice **unless side's above them keep losing - as they still have side's above them to play before finishing with the showdown.
As above

And Kobe I congratulate on your preternatural ability to fathom who is a "real supporter" and who is merely "masquerading" - sensational - among people who you have never and mercifully never will meet.

Not only that, but it's been well documented by past players that Scott will actively BS his way through press conferences and then address the players with his actual thoughts. Stevie J has a great chapter in his book about it.

During 2011 Scott was doing exactly what he always does. All the cliches in full effect. It's an even competition, Collingwood are the benchmark, our best footy is good enough etc. Like a politician he'd say a lot without ever actually saying anything.

As soon as he got the players afterwards it was the complete opposite. Full of bravado and belief in the players.

He's got the media wrapped around his finger and it's great to see. Especially opposed to someone like Bevo who breaks down at the slightest criticism or inquiry (FWIW I do like Bevo, but this place would be in shambles if someone like him was our coach)
Scott has a mask, and sometimes it slips off. I've been heard him and his brother described as psycopaths by somene who knew them. In a good way when it comes to Geelong.

You would know that as mature as he is (currently), behind closed doors, he would be brutal in his assessments of other teams and expect our team to be ruthless.

It's probably why he has Lappin with him and they've been together for a long time. Nigel was not one who would be messed with by anyone on the field, and that aura has only grown. And it's probably why he and Scarlett got along so well, prior to the end of last year.

Those Brisbane players of yesteryear, coached Matthews, who was as brutal as they come on the field, were on another level with their intimidation, aggression and ruthlessness.

Been a bit nervous about this game but feel better the closer it gets. After a good contest, Cats to win by a couple of goals.

Plus I still haven't gotten over 67 (robbed); 89 ( lost it in the first quarter and should probably have won); 92, 94, 95 (not good enough); 2008 ( threw it away); and our recent loss to Richmond which showed we hadn't learnt from our loss to them the previous year.

I feel your pain - went through all those losses but was only a little tacker in 67 so thankfully no recollection :)
Was there in 2007 for the drought breaker though and backed that up in 2011 so do have happier memories as well thank goodness.

Been a bit nervous about this game but feel better the closer it gets. After a good contest, Cats to win by a couple of goals.

That's sort of the reassurance they have built for us over the past couple of months.

It seems like potential fadeouts have all but gone, with the Cats having the ability to arrest any threats and dig deep to ensure the win. It is something that feels quite different to the past couple of years, in my opinion!

You raise some good points but I respectfully disagree about the tall poppy syndrome in sport.
I think it's more like Australians love their sporting heroes to be successful but also with a degree of humility and modesty , I don't think we want to knock "braggers" down a peg - more like we would rather see our champions perform and not be a FIGJAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back