Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Mannagh was immense as was dempsey we dont win without them.
Neale (that game might be the end of hawkins ala hawk to mooney in 2011) humphries and even bruhn and henry had big moments down the stretch.

Bews and tuohy try but they go to ground too much physically they are done. We will have to play stanley purely out of necessity. Bowes needs to go in the middle.
If theres one team you dont want to be short on key backs against its freo. We may have to bring COS or jeka in next week (which is a problem).

Duncan will come back for bews.
We probably need knevitt as height and freo is a good width ground for wingers so id bring him in for tuohy.
Not sure what we do with sdk inj the logical answer is jeka but is he mentally tough enough for a game like this? The alternative is try and play rohan as some sort of quasi tall back but that would be radical.
Or we could play stanley cos he is our best bet in the ruck anyway.

+16 in I50.
+20 in clearances
+23 in CP

So, just how did we only win by 5pts?

Statistically we dominated the key areas, yet fell in by a kick. We're a bipolar side this year and once again I scratch my head as to how good we are. I guess going 6-7 since we won our first 7, with a percentage of only 108.9% provides the answer.

We found a way when it looked lost, but really it should never have got to that point, and that is the issue.
66 to 78 disposal efficiency.
And I thought our pressure was good enough, but Adelaide used the ball very well tonight, and have some formidable marking targets.

That, and in Q3 Dempsey's poster should have been a better kick and Cameron's unpaid mark/free. We were very close to shutting the gate in the third.

Yeah ****en oath anyone not happy with that tonight is hard to please.

To be fair i think people are just unhappy bc they can see how wide the door open is. With sydney falling in a heap and a bunch of average teams behind theres the best chance there has been to pinch a flag in years and we need to make the most of it. But i agree we are a team that is undergoing a lot of turnover and is going ok considering that.

A team in rebuild, albeit clearly different to most, but definitely replenishing and we are sitting currently in second - tough to please. Are we gonna win the GF? Probably not, but you surely can’t be unhappy with this season - if so, I feel your expectations are coming from a rather spoilt delusional perspective.
Therein lies the problem on this board, you could have asked me why do I feel this way or explain further. Instead has cast aspersions about the person resulting in multiple gullible people to agree (be better). An erroneous dispersion as well. Where did I say I was unhappy about the season??

2022 left me contented and largely happy with what has occurred since. This year has highlighted there is a large group of players in need of being pushed aside, and mostly have earned the respect to be spoken about in revered terms, but in 2024 they're now contributing little. Stanley, Blicavs, Tuohy and Hawkins fit this bill.

The 18-25 group are the ones not yet warmed to, for the most part, there are a couple I quite like, but not many that I'd be confident at this stage could be in our next premiership team.

Damn shame that Neale hasn't been able to slam the door shut on Hawkins returning, has well and truly left that ajar. Ollie Henry must kick his 2-3 a game to justify his long periods of going missing.

Could in depth on most of the players this year but now feel as though more holes have opened up in the team as the season has gone on and that Bailey Smith alone will barely move the needle for us. Retirements in 2024-25 will only open up more holes yet to have replacements present themselves, either internally or from another club.

Last edited:
Or we could play stanley cos he is our best bet in the ruck anyway.

Hes at the very end and got very little left in the tank but now with sdk injured we will have to play him theres no choice. The real question is what we do at FB because at times henry and kolo are getting dominated.

Someone else mentioned something similar in the match thread: that non-mark was a Colbert-esque umpiring turning point. FU umpires. It went from a comfortable lead to a scrap to the death in one fell swoop.
Game turning moment. Gave them momentum whereas another goal from JC would have taken the wind out. They were pulling stuff out of their backsides after that, and our guys were flat.

Loose knee? As in loose body in the knee? Post season arthroscope and he's ok then

It was last year too they were talking something about loose knee but they had asessed he could keep playing risking structural damage. So yeah i assume he has some floating body in the joint?

Game turning moment. Gave them momentum whereas another goal from JC would have taken the wind out. They were pulling stuff out of their backsides after that, and our guys were flat.

Its true but we have to be better at wresting momentum back when that happens.

Hes at the very end and got very little left in the tank but now with sdk injured we will have to play him theres no choice. The real question is what we do at FB because at times henry and kolo are getting dominated.
He is at the end and should retire post season. But still think he is our best bet for this season going off tonights game. You cant win flags without a ruckman

Miers obviously unable to beat the close checking, but unlike Stewart, there's no other role to park him, apart from a forward pocket. This obviously defeats the purpose of his running and skill-set and gives a great advantage to the opposition. Feel for the fella, but it's gotta get sorted - it's a major hole in our gameplan.
He is much more suited to the MCG

When i talk about the midfield im not talking about centre clearances im talking about post clearance differential. Our MF doesnt seem to spread that well in transition (hence our defence is too open and has too much space) but CD dont release that stat to us (they do to the clubs).
There have been times this year when that was the problem. Tonight was not one of them.

That soccer kick from the midfield that landed with three unmarked Crows was all arse, as were a few mongrel scrubbers that seemed to miss everyone and wind up with Rochelle or someone running into an unguarded goal. Tillthorpe reminded me of Darcy and Lobb for the Dogs, just a big bloke who seemed to just pluck marks hither and yon against our defence, although the opening goal of the 3rd quarter saw three Cats just watch him mark it. Crows kicking efficiency tonight was remarkably high, 2nd quarter was it 85%??? Not sure they can rely on that every week. But our mistakes were costly, and they seemed to find open players aplenty, they had a heap more uncontested possies and marks.

But, we won, that's all that counts. Beats the feeling like against Port and GWS with narrow losses at KP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Therein lies the problem on this board, you could have asked me why do I feel this way or explain further. Instead has cast a dispersion about the person resulting in multiple gullible people to agree (be better). An erroneous dispersion as well. Where did I say I was unhappy about the season??
Cast a dispersion?

He is at the end and should retire post season. But still think he is our best bet for this season going off tonights game. You cant win flags without a ruckman

He will retire at years end wanted to last year but we talked him into going again to support conway. Hes a good servant but hasnt got much left. We just have to hope he can keep going for another 6 weeks or so.

Credit to the Adelaide Crows; they were one clearance away from consigning us to oblivion.

Their tall forwards challenged us; Jake Kolodjashnij, who is a great match up for no less than Charlie Curnow, struggled all night long whether opposed to Riley Thilthorpe, Tex Walker or Darcy Fogarty.

SDK looked in decent touch early, and Jack Henry nullified a number of potent Crow thrusts, but we looked troubled and vulnerable in the D50.

Fortunately our own dangerous forward line looked puissant from the moment the team entered our F50.

O'Henry threw himself at marking contests with reckless abandon, Shannon Neale provided some serious shape and spine.

Their workrate and discipline afforded Jeremy Cameron, Tyson Stengle and Ollie Dempsey the license to probe and attack.

For the duration of the match I wondered and weighed as to whether Jack Bowes should have been assigned the Sub role; with Dangerfield, Stewart, Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes all in the rotation (+ Blicavs, + Holmes) for perhaps the 1st time this year it might well have overwhelmed Adelaide earlier.

Therein lies the problem on this board, you could have asked me why do I feel this way or explain further. Instead has cast aspersions about the person resulting in multiple gullible people to agree (be better). An erroneous dispersion as well. Where did I say I was unhappy about the season??

2022 left me contented and largely happy with what has occurred since. This year has highlighted there is a large group of players in need of being pushed aside, and mostly have earned the respect to be spoken about in revered terms, but in 2024 they're now contributing little. Stanley, Blicavs, Tuohy and Hawkins fit this bill.

The 18-25 group are the ones not yet warmed to, for the most part, there are a couple I quite like, but not many that I'd be confident at this stage could be in our next premiership team.

Damn shame that Neale hasn't been able to slam the door shut on Hawkins returning, has well and truly left that ajar. Ollie Henry must kick his 2-3 a game to justify his long periods of going missing.

Could in depth on most of the players this year but now feel as though more holes have opened up in the team as the season has gone on and that Bailey Smith alone will barely move the needle for us. Retirements in 2024-25 will only open up more holes yet to have replacements present themselves, either internally or from another club.
Neale has slammed the door shut. He offers more now.

When i talk about the midfield im not talking about centre clearances im talking about post clearance differential. Our MF doesnt seem to spread that well in transition (hence our defence is too open and has too much space) but CD dont release that stat to us (they do to the clubs).
Unfortunately I missed this game. I'm assuming we get torched on the spread

Papering over cracks.

WE got the 4 points and move to 2nd on the ladder.

We won the game but geez we got issues.

Jezza got 6. Good day out.
Humphries will be the 17 on the backs on jumpers for many years to come.

Stewy was good. Zuthrie getting better as Stewy V2 as well.

Stengle, Close, Neale, Dempsey, Stanley, all good too. Mannagh was well. Cant go out of the team this year.

SDK knee is a very very critical piece and could be an ACL as worst case - hope not.

PFD was quiet. Bruhn too but in second 1/2 ended up with 23 touches.

Bews and 2E will have strong oppositon to keeping them in again.

Blitz can't kick on his right for distance any more... something up there.

OH flies for everything but spoils others as well.

Holmes needs to find a harder edge - Kolo was ok too.

Take the win and move on but against better opposition we're in Barney

COS or Jeka if we need a #1 KPD next week

GO Catters

I’m sorry, if Kolo was ok then I should be playing AFL
He got slaughtered by 3 different opponents throughout the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back