Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to the Adelaide Crows; they were one clearance away from consigning us to oblivion.

Their tall forwards challenged us; Jake Kolodjashnij, who is a great match up for no less than Charlie Curnow, struggled all night long whether opposed to Riley Thilthorpe, Tex Walker or Darcy Fogarty.

SDK looked in decent touch early, and Jack Henry nullified a number of potent Crow thrusts, but we looked troubled and vulnerable in the D50.

Fortunately our own dangerous forward line looked puissant from the moment the team entered our F50.

O'Henry threw himself at marking contests with reckless abandon, Shannon Neale provided some serious shape and spine.

Their workrate and discipline afforded Jeremy Cameron, Tyson Stengle and Ollie Dempsey the license to probe and attack.

For the duration of the match I wondered and weighed as to whether Jack Bowes should have been assigned the Sub role; with Dangerfield, Stewart, Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes all in the rotation (+ Blicavs, + Holmes) for perhaps the 1st time this year it might well have overwhelmed Adelaide earlier.
O. Henry threw himself at marking contests, completely missed the pill and allowed crows players to easily intercept all night. Outside the goal he was barely sighted.

Our worst player along with kolo and sdk before his injury.

That was an absolute howler. Combine that with our inability to win a HTB all day, and the Cows getting a bunch of really soft high tackle frees, and you just gotta wonder. Amazing that all the nongs on the match day thread in the main forum think Adeliade were hard done by.

View attachment 2067649
We did have a massive purple patch with the umps when Bruhn was racking them up deluxe. Though all of them were there, it does tend to make things look one sided when they come in a big clump like that. Thought it was actually pretty even overall, the Cameron howler certainly the most critical.

That’s a solid win. We won! Wasn’t the most convincing but we were the better team on the night and if we kick straight we win by 4-5 goals. Loved the young guys standing up and Humphries kicking the clutch goal.

Adelaide were very efficient and marked everything. Played very well. A much better side than their position and have been playing well since the bye,pushed the lions up at the GABBA, beat GWS, Bombers and Saints.

We had a patch in the 3rd when it looked like we were about to break the game open, but Dempsey shaved the post, Cameron didn’t get paid one of the most obvious frees of the year and DeKoning went down and we were a defender down.

Showed character to come back and win when we were down early in the last, really shut them down and went to work.

SDK didn’t look upset after the game, maybe a repeat of what happened round one last year.

Nothing is given, some of you are sooks enjoy the win!

Stanley stays in and Blitz to defence to cover SDK. I wouldn’t mind seeing Lawson tried out in the midfield, highly skilled on both sides could make him a clearance machine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

O. Henry threw himself at marking contests, completely missed the pill and allowed crows players to easily intercept all night. Outside the goal he was barely sighted.

He is awful, just flys and then offers nothing, really basic operator.
Despite the support on here, I think the coaching staff are aware it’s a miss, hence our interest in Waterman.
Jack has been poor this year, but I thought he was pretty good tonight. Bit awks when his brother gets traded/sidelined soon.

Despite the support on here, I think the coaching staff are aware it’s a miss, hence our interest in Waterman.
Jack has been poor this year, but I thought he was pretty good tonight. Bit awks when his brother gets traded/sidelined soon.

Um, what?

I didn't think O. Henry was great, but he and Neale provided a certain structure, and I disagree that Crows players easily intercepted all night long, as Henry and Neale regularly nullfied aerial contests by flying and competing.

Thought SDK was good before he was injured.

Agree that Kolodjashnij was overmatched.

I dont think they need to trade him yet. But he does need to go build his endurance and learn a new position more suited to a player his size as he is no good at the one he plays. Too short and not strong enough to compete in the air.

Look we mocked Essendon and their complaints about game turning umpiring decisions a few weeks ago, so we can’t use that Jezza non free as an excuse for dropping our bundle.

Dempsey also missed a goal from a metre out to bury them too.

That was a horrible 15 minutes of football.
Big difference
First of all, Cameron basically took the mark, the non decision meant a behind, that gave them possession whereas the Draper one was there but he didn’t hold the mark at all and it resulted in a stoppage which they then gave away a free kick which we rebounded from.

Second, we won.

I didn't think O. Henry was great, but he and Neale provided a certain structure, and I disagree that Crows players easily intercepted all night long, as Henry and Neale regularly nullfied aerial contests by flying and competing.

Thought SDK was good before he was injured.

Agree that Kolodjashnij was overmatched.
I saw neale bring the ball to ground a few times. I didnt see henry do it. Henry kept getting easily pushed aside and outmarked.

I may be wrong on sdk as i wasnt playing close attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale has slammed the door shut. He offers more now.
I am still yet to be convinced. Has time on his side and you'd hope a decent 2025 is around the corner. But he is sitting at 7 goals from the 5 games Hawkins has missed injured.

I dont think they need to trade him yet. But he does need to go build his endurance and learn a new position more suited to a player his size as he is no good at the one he plays. Too short and not strong enough to compete in the air.
I don’t see another position in him, but maybe. I feel like he’s in the wrong era, would have dominated mid nineties ball

I don't entirely disagree - what would you prescribe as a way forward for Henry, O?

I saw neale bring the ball to ground a few times. I didnt see henry do it. Henry kept getting easily pushed aside and outmarked.

I may be wrong on sdk as i wasnt playing close attention.

Well you'd wanna watch again, because he did it multiple times in the 1st half.

Nearly took MOTY twice (and ensured no easy Crows marks in the process).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 21 Cats stone Crows by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back