Preview Rd 22 - Geelong V Saints - Sat Aug 14 2021- 435 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the most likely scenario in all of this is that Port will sh*t the bed against the Bulldogs in the last round, and thus we just take care of what we can control which is how we approach each game

Port have such a poor record against top 8 teams that one should think the Bulldogs will be favorites in the last round

We had the opportunity to do just that in the last game, but failed to turn up with the right attitude and suffucient desperation to win.

Hopefully they've learned from that, and crack in far more earnestly from now on.

Last edited:
Meat tray:
IN: O'Connor, Cameron, Evans, Henderson, Smith and Simpson
OUT: Narkle (omit), Rohan (hip), Close (managed), Kreuger (omit), Tuohy (hamstring) and Holmes (omit)

Tried like for like as close as possible.
Need Atkins and Miers back in R23 for a run before finals.
Agree we must win this game, and rest Selwood and Hawkins for R23.

R22 team:
B: Bews, Henderson, Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart, Henry, Z. Guthrie
C: C. Guthrie, Dangerfield, Menegola
HF: Higgins, Ratugolea, Smith
F: Evans, Hawkins, Cameron
R: Stanley, Selwood, Parfitt

Int: Blicavs, O'Connor, Dahlhaus, Clark
Sub: Simpson

Finals Week 1
B: Bews, Henderson, Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart, Henry, Tuohy
C: C. Guthrie, Dangerfield, Menegola
HF: Duncan, Cameron, Smith
F: Miers, Hawkins, Rohan
R: Stanley, Selwood, Parfitt

Int: Blicavs, O'Connor, Close, Atkins
Sub: Simpson
Emg: Ratugolea, Higgins, Z. Guthrie

My view is what we've seen from him the past few weeks is actually just him managing his own workload through games. Without some injury holding him back, it's hard to otherwise explain his drop in form. He's just too good not to be comprehensively beating the opponents he's come up against. So I'd be surprised to see him miss games through being managed this late in the season.
That's possible to an extent. watching the replay he didn't seem to be hindered too much in his running. He didn't seem to roam the field as much though. He also didn't seem to bend over to gather the ball much, but then the ball wasn't withing his grasp very much either. :think:

If there was a slim hope of allowing some sort of crowd at this weekends game it is probably gone now with the announcement of one Covid case in Geelong. May well mean no crowd next week either.
That case was in isolation the whole time, it should have absolutely no bearing on anything, but with this state gov I’m sure it is likely used as justification for something

That's possible to an extent. watching the replay he didn't seem to be hindered too much in his running. He didn't seem to roam the field as much though. He also didn't seem to bend over to gather the ball much, but then the ball wasn't withing his grasp very much either. :think:
Yeah, I didn't see him getting up the field much and his usual clever running patterns on the lead or doubling back weren't there. I'm hoping he's just conserving some energy for the finals tilt, rather than being actually hindered by something. That said, it wasn't easy for any of the key forwards with north and gws flooding our f50.

I think the no crowds must have an affect - Swans have been going fantastic - but when they played Premiership/Outstanding football demolishing W/Coast at KP - there was 10000 supporters their cheering them on - plenty of red/white scarves - the old Sth Melb supporters cheering them on

I know they are professional and well paid - but with no crowd - especially if you got behind - you could easily say to hell with this ( i could ) youd be as flat as a half opened can of coke on a Sunday morning .
that sounds relevant to our game as well

Surely the most likely scenario in all of this is that Port will sh*t the bed against the Bulldogs in the last round, and thus we just take care of what we can control which is how we approach each game

Port have such a poor record against top 8 teams that one should think the Bulldogs will be favorites in the last round

True... I expect Bulldogs to win against Power.
Then if Cats defeat Melbourne... we play them again the following week
If Cats lose to Melbourne...We play Bulldogs in first final.

True... I expect Bulldogs to win against Power.
Then if Cats defeat Melbourne... we play them again the following week
If Cats lose to Melbourne...We play Bulldogs in first final.
Provided we beat St. Kilda...no point jumping too far ahead. Only the Demons have top 4 GUARANTEED.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confirmed that there'll be no crowd apparently.

I'm bummed as I'm regional and was hoping to be able to get to the game :(

Confirmed that there'll be no crowd apparently.

I'm bummed as I'm regional and was hoping to be able to get to the game :(
Bugger

Last week's loss wasn't the end of the world. The guys had an off night. It happens. Get over it.

Obviously, we'll hopefully be seeing Smith, Henderson, OConnor, Jezza, and Atkins back for this game.

Out should be from Clark, Narkle, Kreuger, Holmes, Tuohy (inj), Rohan (inj) and possibly giving another senior player a rest week before the finals.
Last week wasn't 'an off night'.
Did you not see the north game? Both games were pretty much identical. No forward pressure. No pressure on any ball carrier or contest.

North just aren't good enough.
The saints would have beaten us in both games.

If it was round 10 I wouldn't be concerned. But we now have a huge problem in finding form with a bunch of unfit players due back.
Huge, huge problems. We should be $12 for the flag.

Last week wasn't 'an off night'.
Did you not see the north game? Both games were pretty much identical. No forward pressure. No pressure on any ball carrier or contest.

North just aren't good enough.
The saints would have beaten us in both games.

If it was round 10 I wouldn't be concerned. But we now have a huge problem in finding form with a bunch of unfit players due back.
Huge, huge problems. We should be $12 for the flag.
Let the pessimism rollllll in.. May as well microwave the membership cards now, get ahead of the crowd lol.

It didn't look that way to me, looked like a team missing a few key structural players due back soon + attempting to conserve their energy/bodies for finals, which as we all know, can come back to bite you in the a$#. Let's wait and see, if they're flat again this week then I'm firmly with you in the "out of form" camp, but for now it seems a little knee jerk, considering we went 11 out of 12 before Friday night, and thumped some pretty good teams during that glorious run.

With all these injuries, and Hawkins, Close and others looking tired, the pre finals bye may be just what we need for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back