Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So an overall average just shy of 63% if my math is correct.

Goal kicking hasn't really been an art this year, hey?
If a side has 20 shots and kicks 13.7 they'll win more than they lose,

Extrapolate that to 25 shots and 15.10 will almost certainly get a win.

If a side has 20 shots and kicks 13.7 they'll win more than they lose,

Extrapolate that to 25 shots and 15.10 will almost certainly get a win.

Understand, but the players listed were the best from each side, so it falls away even moreso from 63%.

Just saying I thought it'd be a bit better than that given it's the best of the best competition in the land.

What's the maths on Geelong finishing Top 2? Feels unlikely but also not unrealistic?

Would a 12 goal win then GWS and Port losing their games by 4 goals be enough?

Maybe a 12 goal win isn't likely after how the Cats played vs the Saints, but the Eagles look horrible and checked out...a big win could happen.

If gws and port lose by about 4 goals we need about 50-60 pts to pass gws about 90 pts to pass port (roughly).

Sucks that Freo can't make the 8 now. They'll want to win to send their season out on a high note anyway, but there won't be the same drive as if a finals spot were on the line.

They can make it if carlton hawks or bulldogs lose.

Understand, but the players listed were the best from each side, so it falls away even moreso from 63%.

Just saying I thought it'd be a bit better than that given it's the best of the best competition in the land.
The amount of running and fatigue is probably why it's down these days

It's just come to my attention that we've got another milestone on Saturday, and also from one of our much maligned players

Following Allen Christensen's move to Brisbane in 2014 in exchange for pick 21, we forwarded that pick to St Kilda for a then 23yr old utility, Rhys Stanley

After being overlooked for our round 1 clash in 2015, he was a late call up our round 2 match against Fremantle, making his debut in the Hoops at KP (photo below is from the Club's announcement of the late change & Rhys's debut)

View attachment 2085676

He played only the 8 matches in his debut season, and just as he looked to be forming a ruck partnership with Blicavs, he went down with a season ending foot injury in our Rnd 12 match against Port Adelaide

Over the next 4 seasons he'd share the ruck duties with Zac Smith, and questions were often asked as to whom was our best #1 ruck option and how they really paired together. When Zac returned to the GC following the 2019 season, the ruck role again became Rhys's to take ownership of

Often the frustration of fans, Rhys could look the world beater against AA calibre rucks and a week later against a debutant bwould look like a player called up from the GDFL in desperation as he was made to look silly

On 24 September 22, Stanley achieved the ultimate success of an AFL premiership and in doing so he became the 22nd former St Kilda player to achieve that feat - more than the number of St Kilda premierships players (info in tweet below)

View attachment 2085689

View attachment 2085690

One would be forgiven if thinking that barely 6 weeks ago Rhys may not have reached this milestone as he found himself in the VFL while the coaches tweaked our senior midfield set up & what it could look like without Stanley or Conway

So while he's maligned, he'll forever be a premiership player - congrats to Rhys on 150 games in the Hoops

I would be surprised if we dont get a rhys retirement announcement before this sat (so the fans can farewell him properly) but who knows he might prefer to go without the fanfare.

I would be surprised if we dont get a rhys retirement announcement before this sat (so the fans can farewell him properly) but who knows he might prefer to go without the fanfare.
I expect retirements will be announced after the end of our finals campaign. Too distracting if just before finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not know the stand has been renamed- great result.
Win and we go to Sydney. Possibly our best chance to pinch a win after a week off given Swans notorious first quarters
Sorry mate that just me talking wildly and having a lend....

GO Catters

Always thought he would make it. Never flinched when he was Auskicker size.
Showed great strength in his tackling and bodywork when he started despite his frame and make really good decisions when he did have the ball

I wasn’t too worried just hoped his body would catch up with his skills

I doubt we hear any further retirement announcements this week

After Tom's announcements a few weeks back, round 24 was always going to be about him - starting to wonder if Tom (and Scott) knew at the time that he was unlikely to return from his injury and it allowed them to control the narrative of how things played out at this time of year

For the likes of Stanley, and others we're speculating about, I think those announcements will come after our season has finished

I don't think we'll get an announcement in season, had Hawkins not been injured we probably wouldn't have gotten one from him either

I doubt we hear any further retirement announcements this week

After Tom's announcements a few weeks back, round 24 was always going to be about him - starting to wonder if Tom (and Scott) knew at the time that he was unlikely to return from his injury and it allowed them to control the narrative of how things played out at this time of year

For the likes of Stanley, and others we're speculating about, I think those announcements will come after our season has finished

Mitch Duncan on afl360 tonight, I’m sure they’ll ask him the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back