Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be a 300 game player early next year and has done enough this year to go around again even if you take the emotion out of it.

I'm not sure if Duncan will go on, but I also don't think we'll hear anything until after the finals series - he may well decide it's his time to retire, especially with his good mate Hawkins also retiring

Over the next 2-3 years we'll be losing a shit load of experience and no doubt the club will want to balance that out across those years rather than too much at once - here's our current over 30s and in the brackets is year they're next out of contract:

• Bews (24)
  • Blicavs (25)
  • Cameron (25/26 - trigger clause to go into 2026)
  • Dangerfield (24)
  • Duncan (24)
  • C. Guthrie (25)
  • Hawkins, known to be retiring this year
  • Rohan (24)
  • Stanley (24)
  • Stewart (27)
  • Tuohy (24)

With 7 out of contract this year, I don't think we'll want to lose all 7 and think we'll likely see 1 or 2 (maybe 3) given one year extensions sometime after the season is finished - thinking most likely will be Dangerfield, Duncan and Bews or Rohan depending on how they're thinking

In terms of retiring after next year, IF Guthrie has a 3rd injury impacted year then he potentially announces his retirement, while Blicavs it could well depend on how he goes over summer. The latter has barely missed a bit over the years but definitely slowed a bit this year - is that purely due to being 33 or is there an underlying issue, and that time off over summer, get the body right and he'll potentially look a new player type thing next year

Anyone that goes on from this year would then seem a high chance to retire next year

Having around 4 retire each year, along with the younger delistings would be a hit to the list but not as bad as if we were to lose 5 or 6 in a single year

Of course we should try and play to our potential and thrash the eagles to get that % and hope for a top 2 finish, yet if that doesn’t happen I would prefer to play swans rather than Port or GWS away….
But want to avoid Brisbane in a semi too…..
so many permutations….

Of course we should try and play to our potential and thrash the eagles to get that % and hope for a top 2 finish, yet if that doesn’t happen I would prefer to play swans rather than Port or GWS away….
But want to avoid Brisbane in a semi too…..
so many permutations….

Something is telling me we need to get Port Adelaide as I think they are feeling the pressure as a club and we can seize on that.
We also play the Adelaide oval well.

Something is telling me we need to get Port Adelaide as I think they are feeling the pressure as a club and we can seize on that.
I’d also rather Port than either of the Sydney teams… assuming we don’t get 2nd and are playing away.

I’m saying that… we won’t have the opportunity to take a look and manipulate who we will play (even if we want to) due to us playing before all the other important matches.

So we will just have to go out there and try to put 20 goals on West Coast and hope for the best.

Hoyney on SEN says if Stewart has been tagged we are 0-6 and when not tagged we are 12-2. Ross the boss had stocker on him from the 2nd quarter and Stewart had 12 disposals…
If you’re an opposition club just tag Stewart….. but some don’t .
We get scored heavily against when Stewart has been tagged according to Hoyney….
Scott has pulled the Stewart to midfield shift , but we need more than that and the other defenders need to get organized.
Hoyney also says cats most vulnerable team to go out in straight sets.

Hoyney on SEN says if Stewart has been tagged we are 0-6 and when not tagged we are 12-2. Ross the boss had stocker on him from the 2nd quarter and Stewart had 12 disposals…
If you’re an opposition club just tag Stewart….. but some don’t .
We get scored heavily against when Stewart has been tagged according to Hoyney….
Scott has pulled the Stewart to midfield shift , but we need more than that and the other defenders need to get organized.
Hoyney also says cats most vulnerable team to go out in straight sets.

Agree with all of that. And to think some here don’t want Smith or Oliver

With McGovern + Barrass + Ryan out for WC + talk of other senior players but not confirmed yet... I fully expect us to push a 100+ point W.

2nd spot on the ladder is certainly a possibility. We really should be smashing this team on our home deck easily as we have all to play for and they have packed it in and are playing kids.

Also... man it's a bummer Hawkins (probably) won't play.... With Gov + Barrass out, I'd expect us to feed Hawk the goals he needed to get to 800.... even if he is half-fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With McGovern + Barrass + Ryan out for WC + talk of other senior players but not confirmed yet... I fully expect us to push a 100+ point W.

2nd spot on the ladder is certainly a possibility. We really should be smashing this team on our home deck easily as we have all to play for and they have packed it in and are playing kids.

Also... man it's a bummer Hawkins (probably) won't play.... With Gov + Barrass out, I'd expect us to feed Hawk the goals he needed to get to 800.... even if he is half-fit.

Gaff also won't play after his farewell at OPTUS on sunday

True. I am trying to work out whether we want to get 2nd or 4th? Logic says 2nd as we play week 1 at home…

But I think we might match up better against Sydney vs Port or GWS (who are also in better form than Sydney?). also if we lose week 1 from 4th we will likely play Brisbane at MCG whereas if we lose from 2nd or 3rd we play Bulldogs or Hawthorn…

Played two qualifying finals against Port at Adelaide Oval recently (2020 and 2021). Neither went well.

Played two qualifying finals against Port at Adelaide Oval recently (2020 and 2021). Neither went well.
I think that's an understatement. And they didn't have the midfield depth then that they possess now.

So I would be certainly happy not to play them there at this point in time.

True. I am trying to work out whether we want to get 2nd or 4th? Logic says 2nd as we play week 1 at home…

But I think we might match up better against Sydney vs Port or GWS (who are also in better form than Sydney?). also if we lose week 1 from 4th we will likely play Brisbane at MCG whereas if we lose from 2nd or 3rd we play Bulldogs or Hawthorn…
Brisbane are better than both hawks and dogs….. we want to avoid Brisbane. Tell me which top 6 teams the hawks have beaten in their hot run of form since the bye…
GWS- loss
Cats - loss
Not getting seduced by Hawthorn . Dogs okay they will be tough.

We will back ourselves in Adelaide. That ground hold no fears and I think we're a decent chance to win if it pans out that way.

I still genuinely believe we can secure top 2. I don't think we win the flag - but top 2 (MCG final) or a trip to Adelaide will mean we're a reasonable chance if we play well on the day / night..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back