Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollie Henry is very lucky that we don't have any other medium forwards who are half decent.

Bews is very lucky to keep getting opportunities. The MC is very generous.
There aren't too many good 18-22 year old medium forwards/third talls in the league.

Also that was a great blank on the detailed reply I gave you about the MC's recent track record in the other thread. Which is why I usually just criticise your sarcastic jabs rather than engage in actual discussion.

The MC is fine, given what choice they have. Fairly, I tracked Ollie on the replay, and apart from the mark and goal, he was terrible. Looked weak. They need to get some cohesion going. Sad to note stupid passes and ignoring players in better forward positions. Coming off as either panic or selfishness. Let's see if he can get better delivery and shows some muscle with ground balls. This is the week to share a shitload of goals and show us what they can do with a bit of intelligent process.
You know what will happen though….. without McGovern & Barrass and an expected big win for Geelong , Henry will come out and kick 4-5 , take a speccy and have 3-4 marks on the lead. It’s classic Rohan one good game in 8 weeks. They’re the 1/8ers!

You know what will happen though….. without McGovern & Barrass and an expected big win for Geelong , Henry will come out and kick 4-5 , take a speccy and have 3-4 marks on the lead. It’s classic Rohan one good game in 8 weeks. They’re the 1/8ers!
That should give him confidence and put him in good form then

Rohans concussion occurred on the 27th of July
He returned last Saturday night the 17th of August

That’s 21 days of recovery time.
Double the recommended 10 days

It's only at AFL level that the mandatory time off after a concussion is 12 days, and that's because of:

"The League said the "advanced care settings" and increased medical oversight for concussed AFL and AFLW players would allow them to continue with the three-stage, 11-step return to play protocols - with a mandatory minimum absence of 12 days - that have operated since the 2021 season."

At all levels below AFL & AFLW - that includes VFL and VFLW, Coates Talent Leagues and all community football competitions for senior and junior players, the mandatory minimum break after a concussion is 21 days which more aligns with the 'Australian Institute of Sport's Concussion and Brain Health Position Statement'

The recommended is 21 days, and there was a push this year for the AFL to increase their mandatory time off to21 days which they resisted but wouldn't be surprised to see it increased to that within a relatively short period

As a fellow Cats supporter living in Adelaide, I don't like either team but I feel Port are very clearly the lesser of two evils. Listening to talkback radio after a Crows loss gives me as much joy as a Cats win.
I agree. I go to a lot of port games and they are pretty good. There's a guy a few rows behind us who I think has a learning difficulty maybe autistic and, really annoyingly, he does this thing where he starts calling the game. He's at least better than BT and weirdly fairly impartial, kind of a Dwayne Russell voice and manner.

Anyway, it's pretty annoying but the fans around him all look after him because he ends up being a target for oppo fans, they're pretty good at kind of making them aware and/or getting security in at the right time.

The Crows games I go to it's mostly fans yelling "ball" for contests which are clearly not because they inherited all the casual fans.

This is what really annoys me about Port. They have a bit of a 'It just means more. You wouldn't understand' kind of stuck up attitude feeling they're superior to other fans. Much like Liverpool.

Also, Dixon has passion but even donkey's can have passion. The ultimate looks like tarzan plays like Jane key forward.
Yeah I do find that attitude here and there with Port fans but it's not universal. Most of them were pretty humbled by the years they were coached by Matt Primus, hard to understate how bad that period was for them.

I think alot of the ones that do get lippy about their culture are oddly the ones that didn't go to many or any primus coached games.

The Crows games I go to it's mostly fans yelling "ball" for contests which are clearly not because they inherited all the casual fans.
x 1000 when you go to a game at the Gabba. A less footy-literate crowd you will not find. There's a reason most of them head home after a game here reflecting more on how many times they got to sing 'Sweet Caroline' than on how many moments of football quality they actually witnessed.

#facepalmcity

Last edited:
x 1000 when you go to a game at the Gabba. A less footy-literate crowd you will not find. There's a reason most of them head home after a game here reflecting more on how many times they got to sing 'Sweet Caroline' than on how many moments of football quality they actually witnessed.

#facepalmcity
I helped them out this year when he didn't kick a goal against us and lead a chorus of the John Denver CR on the way out of the Gabba.Pissed a few off that's for sure.

Last edited:
Cats website for the past few days has had the Geelong v St.Kilda scores from round 1 showing and not last week’s result… hmmmm interesting.
As embarrassing as that is, it pales into insignificance against the embarrassment of what we offered up after half-time last Saturday night. It really was so forgettable that perhaps this signals the club's hope that it can be simply forgotten.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that in the VFL match on the weekend, Bews stood out with his composure and ability to find space in a contest.

20 yrs ago, we visited Port in Adelaide and got crunched there- they went on to win it. If it's not us, I'd be rapt to see them get up this year
If we don’t win it I would love port to win it just to see how their fans react.

Would they acknowledge Kenny’s contribution? Would they pretend they loved him all along? Would they still want hi sacked? It would be riveting.

I would love to see Kenny get presented with the cup, say how proud he was, tell all the power supporters to get ****ed and announce that he was going to coach Melbourne. Now that would be theatre.

I thought that in the VFL match on the weekend, Bews stood out with his composure and ability to find space in a contest.
Fair enough, Still, given he's played more than 160 games of senior football in the AFL, I'd be far more surprised if he hadn't been able to demonstrate these qualities when playing against state league opposition on the weekend.

Don't act like 4-5 goals each to Henry and Neale isn't exactly what the doctor ordered tomorrow.

We need a massive win, so a few players need to fill their boots. I don't care if it's a soft kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back