Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shows how bad our list was when we started the rebuild. The turnover and ability we have brought in in just a short time is amazing.

I’m not concerned at all just being realistic. Address it at years end and we will be in a very good position. In the meantime the development continues
How many picks has SOS nailed outside of first rounders? This is where you build your depth and so far it's been a big fail.

for all the discussion it's very simple for me

We had ZERO players between 24-28
North had 9

We had 14 players 50 games and under with an average of 67. Amazingly low

The effort was poor but we had a team out there that was way under equiped to handle the physicality of AFL football
Can't argue with any of that.

Well I think you can it would be horrible , Kennedy and Setterfields role should not rely on Cripps as they are both the kind of players that are needed with Cripps in the side honing their inside play to allow the likes of Dow P/Seton and in particular Fisher to get more on the outside and run instead of trying to turn them into contested beasts tomorrow as we seem to be trying to do .
Kennedy and Setterilds role changes depending on if Cripps is there or not.

As for Dow and Fisher (and SPS) they have great burst speed and an amazing ability to find space in congestion, we would be mad to simply use them as outside mids.

How else would you do it? If we got the mature players first then the young players wouldn’t it take a lot longer?

We now have the younger talent and it’s about filling in the gaps. If we had Simpson Kreuzer Docherty Newman McGovern fit plus Bugg it wouldn’t be anywhere near as bad.

This time next year it will look a lot different

Doubt there is one poster on this board who doesn't crave that your last sentence comes to fruition. If it doesn't then (as unpopular as it is with many) there should be every bit the heat on list managers as there will inevitably be on the coach.

How I would do it doesn't matter as I readily admit that I have no idea.

What I do know, though, is that after the 2015 draft/trade period we had 17 players on our list between 23 and 27 and we were high fiving the fact that we had not gone "all Melbourne" with our rebuild and kept a core of senior bodies to help the kids develop.

Now we have 10 which is why I believe that our age balance is out of kilter and should be the highest priority we have.

The other issue for me is that many agree that our most important player other than Cripps is Kreuzer who is seriously injury prone. TDK aside (project ruckman) the other 2 that we've added in that time are simply not up to it. If Kreuz is forced to retire next year we are in very deep doo doo.

Still, IMO, an awful lot to do with this list.

We will want TDK playing at least 50% of the games next year so I don't see a great need to chase another ruck

I think it’s a major need. Kruezer is awesome but is a 15 game player. Phillips is okay at best and Lobbe is done.

TDK is as much a forward as a Ruck.

If we can pick up a young Ruck and a Ruck ready to go from another club or state league that would be ideal

Kennedy and Setterilds role changes depending on if Cripps is there or not.

As for Dow and Fisher (and SPS) they have great burst speed and an amazing ability to find space in congestion, we would be mad to simply use them as outside mids.
Not solely outside but a mix between the two encouraging our uncontested numbers to increase .

I think it’s a major need. Kruezer is awesome but is a 15 game player. Phillips is okay at best and Lobbe is done.

TDK is as much a forward as a Ruck.

If we can pick up a young Ruck and a Ruck ready to go from another club or state league that would be ideal
If TDK is to make it Carlton he will have to be more ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t believe he is. He’s there purely as a volunteer helping the club. He’s a mature sounding board for a young coaching group that is coaching through a very tough period. Nothing more nothing less
Do you think at the end of the year if the Board are contemplating coaching change they will ask Walls for his views?

We have McKay, McGovern, Curnow & Silvagni up forward while Kerr is playing his trade in the 2's, meanwhile we have a 30 year old injury prone ruckman and a couple of second rate back ups.

The area we need him to to step into is pretty clear.

Only one you named is a true KPF. TDK is one also. His forward work is impressive. Easier to find a Ruck than a forward

Only one you named is a true KPF. TDK is one also. His forward work is impressive. Easier to find a Ruck than a forward
You can't play TDK in a forward line with those 4.

And how many quality ruckmen are there in the league? If they were so easy to find we wouldn't have such a big drop from Kreuzer to Phillips and Lobbe.

Imo they are all being asked to play more inside because of no Kennedy in particular , Setterfield out of the last 3 games and Ed playing forward more as well as Murphy predominantly outside now .
But all 3 of them aren't inside all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Back