Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve posted this previously - reposting because IMO you’re being a little harsh when judging our trades.

In 2015 while we still had all these “guns” that we traded we actually finished bottom of the ladder with 4 wins and percentage of 64.78%.

“FWIW below is the status and age of “guns” we traded out.

Betts FA (worst year statistically in last 14 years) and on the serious downhill slide - 31
Henderson - played only 7 games last year and currently out injured with plantar fascia - 29
Tuohy - knee - nearly 29
Yarran - retired
Menzel - delisted
Bell - delisted
Gibbs - DROPPED - 30 (haven’t been to the Crows board yet - but the melts from Crows that posted how unhappy Gibbs was at Carlton and how he would be the icing on their beautiful cake must be delicious 🤤)

I don’t have time to list what we got in return but in 2 years time we’ll be thanking our lucky stars SOS had the balls to do what needed to be done.

I think the short list would be:
Charlie
Harry
Cuningham
Plowman
Philips
LOB
TDK

Edit - plus Marchbank/Lang/Pickett/Kennedy.

PS - very difficult to summarise this precisely as many trades had multiple moving parts.”

We’re still down the bottom- but with way more light at the end of tunnel than 4 years ago.

Nice

There is a fair few around at the moment looking for a chance. Lynch Cameron Smith Darcy Pittonet Naismith Abbott Flynn and more all at AFL clubs and there are a number at State League level. Confident we will get at least one

There is talent around if you a smart enough.

Roman Marshall at Saints is doing really well.

Averaging 17 possessions per game (10 contested).

Only 23 years old and improving rapidly.

I’m sure there are others out there - the hard part is identifying them.

Fisher is second at the club for total clearances (33) and equal second for centre clearances (12).

Also in the 6-6-6 structure having players with real speed like, him, Dow and SPS in the centre clearance, especially with a player like Cripps, allows us to not just get a get kick clearance but a real burst clearance that should hit up a forward.
He'd be one of the the first picked to play through there he's trekking along beautifully, all these kids need quality minutes through the midfield to enhance their development, only way they learn...

There is talent around if you a smart enough.

Roman Marshall at Saints is doing really well.

Averaging 17 possessions per game (10 contested).

Only 23 years old and improving rapidly.

I’m sure there are others out there - the hard part is identifying them.

There is at least 12-14 out there we will be looking at

So of my list there is 6-7 worth it plus state league. Plus 26 isn’t old. That’s good
That’s two off the top of my head and generally these players aren’t the number 1 ruck for a reason but a player like Lynch or Darcy would be worth a look.

And 26 and coming off an acl is too old for me.

I’ve posted this previously - reposting because IMO you’re being a little harsh when judging our trades.

In 2015 while we still had all these “guns” that we traded we actually finished bottom of the ladder with 4 wins and percentage of 64.78%.

“FWIW below is the status and age of “guns” we traded out.

Betts FA (worst year statistically in last 14 years) and on the serious downhill slide - 31
Henderson - played only 7 games last year and currently out injured with plantar fascia - 29
Tuohy - knee - nearly 29
Yarran - retired
Menzel - delisted
Bell - delisted
Gibbs - DROPPED - 30 (haven’t been to the Crows board yet - but the melts from Crows that posted how unhappy Gibbs was at Carlton and how he would be the icing on their beautiful cake must be delicious 🤤)

I don’t have time to list what we got in return but in 2 years time we’ll be thanking our lucky stars SOS had the balls to do what needed to be done.

I think the short list would be:
Charlie
Harry
Cuningham
Plowman
Philips
LOB
TDK

Edit - plus Marchbank/Lang/Pickett/Kennedy.

PS - very difficult to summarise this precisely as many trades had multiple moving parts.”

We’re still down the bottom- but with way more light at the end of tunnel than 4 years ago.

Gibbs had 13 disposals on the weekend at 69% disposal efficiency.

10 of those disposals were uncontested.

When Adelaide get a few more players back, his spot might come under pressure again.

Based on what?

He has things to work on. I’m not sure the AFL is a suitable place for that. It’s funny how a fair few are so defensive of O’Brien yet were happy to rip into McKay last year and defend the club once he was left in the 2s for a bit.

O’Brien playing in senior team hurts the team at the moment. We need to start winning some games if we want to attract some talent. We also traded our pick. Another season where we win 2 games would be an absolute disaster.
from what i can see he just lacks physicality...he has the skills and the speed...afl is a much better environment for him...it will help him get used to the physicality and pressure ....he will find his rhythm...he'll go backwards in the 2s... you mentioned harry ...he still doesn't give 100% from what i can see...he is a tall boy and can take marks but if he doesnt work hard it wont amount to much...defenders will work him out......LOB works hard

Both need replacing at seasons end.
I am certainly not one to single out players. My posting record I hope bears that out.
I had hoped Phillips would come on but its looking less likely each time he plays.
Lobbe is still servicable in the twos and I am led to believe is really good for the young ones.
But football is a short term thing for most players and every year is a reset to some extent regardless of winning a flag or a spoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Adelaide get a few more players back, his spot might come under pressure again.

Lol.

Given “how unhappy he was at Carlton and how delighted he was to be going home” (according to Crow posters) surely he’d only be getting 3 possessions per game in Navy Blue......

I am certainly not one to single out players. My posting record I hope record that out.
I had hoped Phillips would come on but its looking less likely each time he plays.
Lobbe is still servicable in the twos and I am led to believe is really good for the young ones.
But football is a short term thing for most players and every year is a reset to some extent regardless of winning a flag or a spoon.

The coaches and players seem to highly rate Lobbe’s work with the younger players.

Esp TDK.

He can’t get his head around winning games. It’s confusing him and totally thrown him out of his comfort zone.

Last edited:
Williamson Cuningham Gibbons TDK Schumacher Kerr Polson Macreadie and it’s not just about picks it the ability to trade with value.

Setterfield McGovern Newman Kennedy Marchbank Stocker have been good trades.

SOS has got value for trades in Henderson Tuohy Menzel Gibbs Yarran that has got us multiple picks with many being first rounders that people say he’s nailed

Lots of aspects of LM that people seem to forget
Most of the above are unproven as A grade AFL contributors....potential but thats all

SOS has done well raiding the scrap heap pretty much......we still need Dylan,Gibbs back,Kelly, or something else good like a Judd or two unfortunately ...we need a couple of those types at this moment...Cripps cannot win games as a single elite.Its horrible.

A am for playing the drafts...but we know its expensive,and it might be unwise to put too much into that...and to really overrate some of the drafts as well.

Bolton wants to play a system,zoned efficiency...he comes from a club of hard training, excellence in player rehab....yet at carlton we are still no even begging to see this consistently...is it time for a wake up call?

lets says all our drafts since 2015 are quantified....and lets say we have honestly only marginal success,where to from here if we dont see much improvement?

Still elites dont want to be at Carlton....this has always been our strength in the distant past not developing ...THE BEST CLUBS NOW HAVE BOTH

When Malthous came to CFC and what followed i just knew it was not a good sign

Last edited:
Attention all, Judd has tonight Vindicated some of the maligned posters on here with his comments tonight.
I alluded to some mail last week and was shot down by a couple, Gardiner Stand mentioned a few things and was shot down. I can't speak on the validity of his comments but they were similar to what I had heard.

As Judd said, growth and going on about young players are inappropriate, and we don't want a loser culture.

Wins are what matters

from what i can see he just lacks physicality...he has the skills and the speed...afl is a much better environment for him...it will help him get used to the physicality and pressure ....he will find his rhythm...he'll go backwards in the 2s... you mentioned harry ...he still doesn't give 100% from what i can see...he is a tall boy and can take marks but if he doesnt work hard it wont amount to much...defenders will work him out......LOB works hard
He has a hard time finding the ball which is a major issue right now. We struggle big time with spread and getting easy uncontested possessions as a result. Personally I’d rather someone else be given a crack while O’Brien goes and works on his game in the twos.

Attention all, Judd has tonight Vindicated some of the maligned posters on here with his comments tonight.
I alluded to some mail last week and was shot down by a couple, Gardiner Stand mentioned a few things and was shot down. I can't speak on the validity of his comments but they were similar to what I had heard.

As Judd said, growth and going on about young players are inappropriate, and we don't want a loser culture.

Wins are what matters

attention all

giphy.gif

Wins are what matters
It isn't vindication at all. Its the bleeding obvious thing to say. The difference is in the context and the length of time those maligned posters you reference have been saying this stuff from way back and long before it was appropriate.
Naturally the focus is going to shift away from talking about youth and always was going to at the right time.
Nevertheless it was the youngest side. The least experienced in my memory we ever put out on the field with three of six defenders that had been functioning well out injured and no ruck. Thats not excuses its the facts. Its also a fact that for 6 weeks we performed above expectations. Its not a losing culture its an under 23's side against a lot of backs to the wall senior shinboners. In fact the longer it goes since the final siren the less important this match is to us other than as a reminder of the hard road ahead still.

He has a hard time finding the ball which is a major issue right now. We struggle big time with spread and getting easy uncontested possessions as a result. Personally I’d rather someone else be given a crack while O’Brien goes and works on his game in the twos.
he is there on the field...and if he is playing a designated position/role and as long as we are playing to some sort of a game plan then the ball should find him too..i think it is more a problem with the team not being able to execute the game plan effectively...if we could spread LOB is the perfect type of player that should be at the end of the link before it is delivered into the F50....ideally all young players develop in the 2s and get gigs in the seniors to have a taste before eventually establishing a spot in the best 22...club stripped back hard and we have this awkward situation where we cant use the 2s as a development pathway and most young players naturally struggle going straight in the seniors...club chose this direction...

Shows how bad our list was when we started the rebuild. The turnover and ability we have brought in in just a short time is amazing.

I’m not concerned at all just being realistic. Address it at years end and we will be in a very good position. In the meantime the development continues
Malthouse and co. left our list as one of the worst in AFL history..and even worse we inherited a roll over easy soft aspect no one likes to see.The players stopped trying....always see bad teams with this..its like something they have picked up on a bad holiday,just difficult to get rid of.

am i imagining ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Back