RD 9: Adelaide vs Carlton Pre-match discussion & changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Big game coming up next week. Adelaide are a side that we will want to finish ahead of in Season 2009. On paper I think we are the better side but it really depends on which Carlton side shows up.

My changes:

IN: Carrazzo (if fit)
OUT: Yarran

Danger match. Adelaide have lost 3 on the trot - they're a better side than that. Boys will have to be really switched on this week.

Agree with Yarran out, still needs to develop in the twos. Houlihan or Grigg to replace.

Did Grigg play in the ants this weekend or is he still injured? Id like to see him come back through the 2's. Have no idea how Houlihan went this weekend, but based on his effort last weekend I dont think I want him back just yet.

Critical game. Adelaide will try to take us out of our free flowing game.
If Grigg and Carrots are fit I am happy for both to come in even if they are rusty.
Yarran and dare I say JR or Stevo to go.
If Fev is injured Carlos could replace him
We must stand up for this encounter. Never easy in SA but we must arrive and play up-tempo footy

Yeah agree in that I wish we weren't facing them at home afer 3 straight losses, but still we have only won 1 of our last 3 so I'd hope the boys are just as hungry.

My changes:

OUT: Stevens, Yarran, Fev or Browne/Russell
IN: Fisher, Houlihan, Bannister

I still think we need another marking option in our forward 50 so Fisher deserves his chance for no other reason than to hopefully provide that option - we had the luxury of dropping 2 forwards against Collingwood and bringing none in, but we cant stay this way surely.

It wasn't Stevens worst game, but if we're going to drop him I'd want it to be sooner rather than later. No point in him putting in ok performances everytime he is close to being dropped and thus retaining his spot - drop him, get it done with, see how he responds.

Yarran has been ok, done some good things but after having a bit of a taste, I'd drop him and let him return next time after putting in consecutive good performances in the reserves. Houlihan has surely got the message...

I'd like to see Bannister get his chance this week for one of Browne or Russell - probably Browne. However if Fev is injured than I'd simply bring in Bannister for Fev - not really sure what the go is for Fev...if its only attitude than perhaps leave him, even if he isnt kicking goals at least he is taking 2, sometimes 3 defenders from the action.

Did Grigg play in the ants this weekend or is he still injured? Id like to see him come back through the 2's. Have no idea how Houlihan went this weekend, but based on his effort last weekend I dont think I want him back just yet.
Think Ants had a bye- was on a footy show hand ball gig this morning

Critical game. Adelaide will try to take us out of our free flowing game.
If Grigg and Carrots are fit I am happy for both to come in even if they are rusty.
Yarran and dare I say JR or Stevo to go.
If Fev is injured Carlos could replace him
We must stand up for this encounter. Never easy in SA but we must arrive and play up-tempo footy
:eek::thumbsdown:

Geez how huge is this game for us. A win and we're on our way and a loss and we're not better of for beating the Pies today.

According to the injury list on the CFC website Carrots is still out for another 3-4 weeks:eek:

Fev is 99% fine

Therefore In: Grigg
Out: Yarran (but I say give him another go) or Russell.

No idea if Grigg is fit or not, but I did see him on the Sunday Footy Show doing the Handball.

So at least we know he's alive ;)

this is a massive game, we need to win this to show we are a real decent side on the up, its all well and good beating an understrength magpies but we need to back this performance up and play some consistent 4 qtr footy, im still not overly convinced that we were that good today, but we did what needed to be done, we desperately need to stop relying so heavily on juddy, hes a star but we cant rely on him to get us out of trouble, as was evident with our really poor second quarter.....we need to beat the crows, simple as that, otherwise its back to square one and we make it difficult for ourselves again.........for me, i think yarran has to go out, needs more developmnet in the twos and really has to up his workrate, which was really poor.......id like to see houlihan back in, who was very unlucky to be dropped, he just adds some class and poise, so therefore
out: yarran
in: houlihan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russell out? He's stepped up this season and did very little wrong today. Will not be dropped and with good reason.
did very little right besides participate in some kick to kick, ride people in the back, miss sitter goals, and when in doubt kick it long along the boundary instead of running around in circles and hand passing to team mates under immense pressure...

he wont be dropped despite being a passenger...

I would say unchanged... maybe yarran or browne out should they need to make a match up change...

For those saying no change, Im suprissed at how you can advocate dropping two forwards (albeit 2 forwards who have not offered a lot) and not bring 1 forward in for either.

If Fisher isnt given a run this week, than I have little doubt Wiggins will be back instead - Browne unfortunately is the most likely to make way.

(Let's also not forget Houlihan, who has surely recieved the message)

given adelaides forward line we should be able to cover it meaning we can throw waite or austin up forward.

Like I said for match up purposes maybe yarran or browne... so maybe fisher in for one of them...

Drop Stevo?
And even for all his clangers and stuff ups JR is earning his spot in the side and it gauls me to say that.
For mine i would bring Houlihan in for either Browne or Yarran.
Would still like to see Fisher get his chance but he may have to wait another week or two.

For those saying no change, Im suprissed at how you can advocate dropping two forwards (albeit 2 forwards who have not offered a lot) and not bring 1 forward in for either.

If Fisher isnt given a run this week, than I have little doubt Wiggins will be back instead - Browne unfortunately is the most likely to make way.

(Let's also not forget Houlihan, who has surely recieved the message)

We had Waite and Austin able to swing forward. Also Fev went up the ground which sacrificed his own game and free'd up our forward line a hell of a lot.

You don't have to have a specific forward if you can have others that cover them in more areas of the ground.

Fev was used as a good decoy today.We're doing ok if we can beat teams by 51 points and a goaless Fev.It was a better looking Fev this week acknowledging guys kicking goals etc instead of abusing team members like he did last week

Fev was used as a good decoy today.We're doing ok if we can beat teams by 51 points and a goaless Fev.It was a better looking Fev this week acknowledging guys kicking goals etc instead of abusing team members like he did last week

not to mention the commitment to chase etc... i think the back and forth chasing on the southern stand wing in the third or fourth was great to see!

Remove this Banner Ad

RD 9: Adelaide vs Carlton Pre-match discussion & changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back