AFLW Rd 9 Essendon vs Richmond Indigenous Round. 26/10 8:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Our skills are letting us down. Too often we kick and find the oppo between our players. Their uncontested pic-offs are created by us. Game can still be won, but we don't look like it.

Agree and it is a big concern because if we were cleaner we would be top 2 or 3 on the ladder as we already have key attributes "run and carry", "hard at the contest" but our bad skills are our kryptonite.

I reckon our use of handball was pretty effective and an improvement on earlier in the year , most certainly bought us into the game that for much of the night I thought ess looked on top . Libby graham played a much better game than last week and most certainly showed she’s up to W standard playing on too good who’s a star of this comp
Gabby and miller were very good last night I thought

Seems a bit odd that the girls don’t get a cart like the guys do for injuries like this
It was probably more the location

It was probably more the location
Nah I can guarantee there would be a cart at TIO when the guys play there

Brennan was up against two or three players every contest in that last quarter as Essendon flooded back. She definitely left a few on the park but I think her playing deeper is the way we should be playing her

We are in the 8 and for a side that was 4th/5th our skills are not up to it. Now individually Mackenzie terrific, Conti generally a good ball user but as collective one of the worst. We do however make up for these shortcomings with grit, run, and hardness.

The fact that this needs to be explained says more about you than me. Most posters on this board critique the game whether its good or bad. Makes it interesting and we don't all agree but more times than not an explanation provides the point of difference.
Both you and TigermanM2 are two of the better opinion posters on here - and that's just what it is for the most part, opinions, don't sweat it. I'd suggest it was a little tongue in cheek. Now if he was commenting on Lord of the Wings posts......... ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in the 8 and for a side that was 4th/5th our skills are not up to it. Now individually Mackenzie terrific, Conti generally a good ball user but as collective one of the worst. We do however make up for these shortcomings with grit, run, and hardness.

The fact that this needs to be explained says more about you than me. Most posters on this board critique the game whether its good or bad. Makes it interesting and we don't all agree but more times than not an explanation provides the point of difference.

Save your fingers. This is what you posted.

“Said it a million times we are the worst skilled side in the entire league.”

I said you are 100% wrong and if you are a watcher of AFLW footy you would know this.

You also don’t need to explain anything to me. I think I’m all good thanks.

I reckon our use of handball was pretty effective and an improvement on earlier in the year , most certainly bought us into the game that for much of the night I thought ess looked on top . Libby graham played a much better game than last week and most certainly showed she’s up to W standard playing on too good who’s a star of this comp
Gabby and miller were very good last night I thought
Was pleased for Libby. She would have known her form was down, they do the reviews too. Her concentration was really good tonight, obviously did some homework on Toogood, and whilst Toogood was better still, Libby did her job and showed a few of the knockers around here that she is most fulfilling her role in absence of anyone better for it right now. Whilst Libby does what she does on the best forward, it allows Miller to to freewheel and intercept a little more.

Graham hasn’t been truly all that bad, just a few poor moments in games

With one less in defence I think some of those mistakes (like letting a ball get over the back) look worse in AFLW because there isn’t that extra player to clog things up and help out

Both you and TigermanM2 are two of the better opinion posters on here - and that's juts what it is for the most part, opinions, don't sweat it. I'd suggest it was a little tongue in cheek. Now if he was commenting on Lord of the Wings posts......... ;)

Fair call and for me saying we are the worst like seriously don't take it as literal cause the gist of the comment means we are one of that cant be disputed due to constantly turning it over. Every poster has seen this and stated the same!

It drives me mad because if we were cleaner i have no doubt we'd be top 4. To many haphazard kicks and handballs which generally costs us in games.

Last edited:
Save your fingers. This is what you posted.

“Said it a million times we are the worst skilled side in the entire league.”

I said you are 100% wrong and if you are a watcher of AFLW footy you would know this.

You also don’t need to explain anything to me. I think I’m all good thanks.

Oh dear lets just leave it there. I guess if i told you that pigs fly you would believe it. Read the room laterally

I will add that I love how our transition movement through traffic has improved so much. Two seasons ago, we would a have struggled to start a chain, let alone complete one. Yeah, it still breaks down half the time, but the ones that complete with a kick inside 50 can be devastating. We saw quite a few last night in challenging conditions (the dew).

Our 30m plus kicks forward though can be woeful, straight to an oppo between two of our own sometimes, and we are among the worst teams for it. You can't even give it as intercept to the oppo because all too often it is uncontested. Undoes all the gutsy chain work. It must be so disheartening to see it come back so quick because of it, and be out of position as a consequence.

Bacon is growing each week at the moment, deserves her spot easily now. Ford is an interesting one. Only used for about half the game (same as Shevlin and LauraMac). She is a better thinker with the ball in hand and good user. It would be nice to see her get the ball with a bit more freedom to use it like she can - it could improve us - but we don't seem to trust her enough yet.

Was pleased for Libby. She would have known her form was down, they do the reviews too. Her concentration was really good tonight, obviously did some homework on Toogood, and whilst Toogood was better still, Libby did her job and showed a few of the knockers around here that she is most fulfilling her role in absence of anyone better for it right now. Whilst Libby does what she does on the best forward, it allows Miller to to freewheel and intercept a little more.

Granted, she did better, but I'm still not convinced. Looks too panicky.

For us to be a genuine flag contender we need players like Graham to be superseded.
Up coming draft need to target more backs!

Granted, she did better, but I'm still not convinced. Looks too panicky.

For us to be a genuine flag contender we need players like Graham to be superseded.
Up coming draft need to target more backs!
Our depth down back has lightened because we pushed Shevlin and Sheerin up the ground. Of course you look to replace Graham, you look to replace nearly everyone if you can. Seasons ago we leaked badly back there, got Shevlin, Graham and Sheerin quite specifically, and they were doing good jobs. Then we re-purposed Sheerin to become an elite mid, Shevlin can be a weapon from the wing because Bacon stood up. We are using Hicks better each week and Lynch is so underutilised but crucial down back still.

Thank goodness Poppy Kelly stood up big time and allowed Gabbi back there to help out.

The Georgia Gee goal in the third. Graham followed her on a lead too the pocket 25 out and ran on boundary side of her and behind.
Gee turned inside and ran back Graham didn’t m go with her because it was dumb to play a mtr off her and boundary side,Gee ran in and had an easy uncontested shot and goaled.
Terrible.
Not all of it was televised so she didn’t get any criticism but you can work it out watching it.
It’s happened 3 outve the last 4 games and last night it cost us a goal.
Really poor basic mistake and keeps on happening which is worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 9 Essendon vs Richmond Indigenous Round. 26/10 8:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back