Preview Rd18: Changes & prematch discussion vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun Higgins averaged 0 clearances (obviously rounded down) and less than 2 inside 50s in his games at the Bulldogs and not much more in his initial years with us. Based on your logic, he shouldn't have been moved into the midfield.

This year he averages 5 clearances and 6 inside 50s and has become an A+ mid. He was also playing well for us predominantly as a half forward.

Obviously the most compelling reason not to move M Williams forward is that he generally locks down very well on quality small forwards in large part because he has the same athletic qualities - agility, acceleration, good overhead and strong for his size. Despite claims to the contrary, he's ranked 4th for disposal efficiency at the club and reads the ball well.

I can see why against Collingwood's small forwards you'd leave him back but we've got to do/try something different so we can actually become competitive at ground level in F-50 and stop opposition half backs killing us.

I wasn't using any logic or drawing any conclusions for the future. I was just querying your claim that Williams "plays forward and is good at it" which seemed surprising when he has only kicked 10 goals in AFL

I wasn't using any logic or drawing any conclusions for the future. I was just querying your claim that Williams "plays forward and is good at it" which seemed surprising when he has only kicked 10 goals in AFL

Don't misquote me.

Like everyone else who watches the side, I obviously know he doesn't play forward - the whole idea was to try him forward given how low our stocks are in small forwards and given his attributes.

Last edited:
Don't misquote me.

Like everyone else who watches the side, I obviously knows he doesn't play forward - the whole idea was to try him forward given how low our stocks are in small forwards and given his attributes.

And given that he hasn't been quite himself down back this year, indeed, why not try him Forward? I agree with you arden. Never hurts to try, and if it doesn't work, well, then you put him back again.

Have people already forgotten the Great Maj Experiment? You don't know if a person can play a role until you give them a chance to try.

You want us to move our only competitive small defender out of defence against the Pies who only have small forwards?

Marley has played back pocket his whole career and is an average kick at best. He has done a great job of making sure the targets he picks are extremely safe so as not to shank his kicks but occasionally we get to see that kicking is not his strength. We should all know by now that disposal efficiency is one of the worst stats to use when discussing how good a kick someone is. It is not based on kicking ability at all. Handballs and long bombs are a huge part of the stat.

I like the club trying new things (ie Maj to the backline) but we specifically brought Marley to the club as we had no good lockdown small defenders so to now move him to the forward line would be insane in my opinion.
I've stated previously in posts here that DE is limited. However, when you look at this season's stats instead of just one game, the numbers ring true across our side. Marley is not as poor a kick as you make out, even if he looks ungainly, especially compared to others in the side.

As I acknowledged, with Collingwood's small forwards, you probably want him back. But we will not win games against good sides, including Collingwood, unless something significant is done to address our dismal failure to stop opposition running defenders. It is absolutely killing us.

I've stated previously in posts here that DE is limited. However, when you look at this season's stats instead of just one game, the numbers ring true across our side. Marley is not as poor a kick as you make out, even if he looks ungainly, especially compared to others in the side.

As I acknowledged, with Collingwood's small forwards, you probably want him back. But we will not win games against good sides, including Collingwood, unless something significant is done to address our dismal failure to stop opposition running defenders. It is absolutely killing us.

Its fair to say we need to stop opposition running defenders but taking Marley out of the backline would absolutely destroy any chance we have of stopping opposition small forwards who most would agree have been our Achilles heel for a very long time including this very season.

The reality is - without Garner and Zurhaar in the team and now with Jy and Anderson in the midfield we dont have any depth in the forward pressure player.

A few have been saying (which i agree with) that we should be moving Jy back to the forward line for that role and especially given he knows how to kick a few goals too

Its fair to say we need to stop opposition running defenders but taking Marley out of the backline would absolutely destroy any chance we have of stopping opposition small forwards who most would agree have been our Achilles heel for a very long time including this very season.

The reality is - without Garner and Zurhaar in the team and now with Jy and Anderson in the midfield we dont have any depth in the forward pressure player.

A few have been saying (which i agree with) that we should be moving Jy back to the forward line for that role and especially given he knows how to kick a few goals too
I see it like this - we were the best defensive side in terms of points against until the Brisbane game. Ever since the second half of that game our defensive record would be pretty average. Our back 6 haven't really changed, notwithstanding Maj's recent move. Instead, we have been unable to stop clean and quick opposition ball movement from our F 50 to D-50. In many instances, our defenders have had no chance to stop marks inside 50, or running goals being kicked. Not even Marley.

Simpkin, Atley and WW would be good. We have to get competitive at ground level in f-50 or this season is curtains.

Don't misquote me.

Like everyone else who watches the side, I obviously know he doesn't play forward - the whole idea was to try him forward given how low our stocks are in small forwards and given his attributes.
My apologies. I went back and read your quote again and realised that I had misunderstood- the fact that you were referring to an earlier post misled me into thinking you were saying he had played well as a forward. I don't remember too well but I think early on he did play some games forward at Collingwood and I thought you were referring to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see our Gordon get a game, I know hes a rookie and needs plenty of work.....but that x factor in the forward line .....drool.

However what about this, bring the large hadron collider in and push Jy up forward.
Hadron Collider?

I see it like this - we were the best defensive side in terms of points against until the Brisbane game. Ever since the second half of that game our defensive record would be pretty average. Our back 6 haven't really changed, notwithstanding Maj's recent move. Instead, we have been unable to stop clean and quick opposition ball movement from our F 50 to D-50. In many instances, our defenders have had no chance to stop marks inside 50, or running goals being kicked. Not even Marley.

Simpkin, Atley and WW would be good. We have to get competitive at ground level in f-50 or this season is curtains.
Or any season.

Now, I wonder what happened around that Brisbane Game? Oh, that’s right, we lost Waite and Jacobs started getting headaches. Coincidence? I think not.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back