Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The hardest hit we laid all night was JHF on Butters.
How does a coach fail so often to get a team motivated to "run through walls" in finals? It's bazaar.
Why are we so pathetic at sticking tackles?
What is going through our players minds when we go from winning a game last week by playing 1 on 1 to this week watching your oppo going end to end untouched?
How te feck could anyone think a Dixon/Ratugolea/McEntee/Evans forward line would contribute any more goals in a final than they could in a regular season game?
#Doctor Feel why do I feel?
Centrce bounce after half time the two rucks collide and the thump echos around the oval - sweet won the tap and did not take a backward step

I think just about the worst thing is that, despite our diabolical start, we somehow hit the front in the second. That should've been the "got the shit out of system without too much damage, now let's settle".

Even at halftime we weren't out of it on the scoreboard.

The total inability to fire a shot in the second half just had to be coach stackable.

You must also include Carr in that.

Yes, it worries me that the heir apparent is someone who has been no 2 to Hinkley. Carr maybe OK as Nicks and Voss seem to have evolved their own game plans but there is always an element of doubt. We might be better off with a completely new face with a fresh set of ideas. It certainly would not hurt the playing group to have a new mindset at the helm. Too many of them are all too cosy with their idol Kenny and his Offsiders.

Geez we are contemplating a successor and the biggest obstacle to our future success is still there.

Last edited:
Been 20 years since we last won 2 games in a row against the small town mob, last night was the best chance to do so but threw in the towel. Question is will I be alive to see us break that trend? Surely one day the cats will have a mediocre period of at least 3 seasons in a row of no finals (including a bottom 4 finish)?

Been 20 years since we last won 2 games in a row against the small town mob, last night was the best chance to do so but threw in the towel. Question is will I be alive to see us break that trend? Surely one day the cats will have a mediocre period of at least 3 seasons in a row of no finals (including a bottom 4 finish)?
Geelong have been good for over 30 years really even in the handbag era they were making GF's, they are everything we have never been at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a whole coaching panel issue, we lost Montgomery and made Goldsack defensive coach, we lost Bassett and made Cornes forwards coach. We have the worst forward and defensive set-ups I have seen in years. Our forward line actual sucks!!! Geelong just used the same plan the crows have been using against us for 3 years under Nicks, they probably learnt it from their assistant coach James Rahilly. We get out coached far too often. We need to get rid of Ken Netanyahu Hinkley and his C grade assistants

On PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are confused Netanyahu stands up for his people.

This game was merely the continuation of a story begun in the 2021 PF:

2024 QF, h.l (-84)
Port, 19/7.12:54
Cats, 38/20.18:138

2023 SF, h.l (-23)
Port, 25/9.16:70
Giants, 28/13.15:93

2023 QF, a.l (-48)
Lions, 28/19.9:123
Port, 20/11.9:75

2021 PF, h.l (-71)
Port, 15/6.9:45
Dogs, 31/17.14:116

0 wins; 4 losses
PF, 244 (79/33.46)
PA, 470 (125/69.54)
51.9%

I did a quick check and under Ken we are 4-8 in finals and two of those wins were in 2014. If we go out in straight sets again we will be on of the few, if not the only AFL club, to have achieved the feat two years in a row. Back to back straight sets exits may well be history in the making.

In 2007 we won at the Cattery and were crushed by 119 points by Geelong in the Grand Final.
In 2024 the next time we won at the Cattery we were crushed by 84 points in a home final by Geelong.
Maybe winning at the Cattery is not such a good thing? :(

Can’t believe we caved in like that . Wrong attitude from the start and threw in the towel at half time , if not before the game . We just got totally out worked and outclassed and embarrassed , played like we were the pussies not Geelong .
Few individuals weren’t too bad , Burton , Drew , L. Evans , Allir , Byrne Jones , Boak , Rozee , JHF , Bergman tried hard but there was no unity . Dixon was putrid ,
Beat us in the midfield and we are woeful , no confidence for next week

Compare the players Sam Mitchell has bought in and Chris Scott has bought in - 6 & 7 players. Same with bevy and the bulldogs. Our trades last yr looked pretty good. Why are we in the position we are in.

We are heading in that direction ourselves.
I am lucky I have seen us win 13 SANFL flags and 1 AFL flag but our culture has turned 360 since those days we now have no leadership no accountability no ruthlessness and a team that are as mentally weak as you would ever see. So yes without change we will not be successful for a very very long time.

Last edited:
I am lucky I have seen us win 13 SANFL flags and 1 AFL flag because our culture has turned 360 since those days we now have no leadership no accountability no ruthlessness and a team that are as mentally weak as you would ever see. So yes without change we will not be successful for a very very long time.
Yep it's why you have to cull the no hopers before mediocrity sets in the walls. Sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back