Preview Richmond vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, so much disrespect to Geelong on this thread.
If you guys think the best Geelong served up was against Nth Melbourne, well you've obviously all forgotten about the week before when they defeated Hawthorn who were premiership favourites at the time?
Any thought that this team has dropped off significantly is a little naive.
There's a real interesting video on youtube doing the circles atm after the loss to Nth Melbourne last week - an indepth look at how Geelong can be beaten?
Good luck if you think this is going to happen again this week guys
lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMu924F_ThM

No disrespect. I don't think anyone has said that we will smash (majority have said that geelong will win comfortably) but yes a few of us are confident going into the game.

I have said multiple times that Geelong played terrible, North didn't play great. If you played a top 4 side they would of beaten you by 12 goals.

I think you'll find the disrespectful supporters are the flogs on your board that are already pencilling this in as a massive win. Sorry but you don't have a Agrade tagger anymore or a Agrade ruckman and your missing your best defender. You have the worst ruck duo in the league, beware the tiger ;)

Watching the gamne v Nth Sunday arvo one thing that stood out to me was how much the Geelong rucks got touched up by Goldstein and McIntosh givign Norths mids first use and how Petrie and a resting McIntosh were just too tall for Geelong down back. Ty Vickery...now is the hour mate...may even be worth considering playing Gus off the bench.

Watching the gamne v Nth Sunday arvo one thing that stood out to me was how much the Geelong rucks got touched up by Goldstein and McIntosh givign Norths mids first use and how Petrie and a resting McIntosh were just too tall for Geelong down back. Ty Vickery...now is the hour mate...may even be worth considering playing Gus off the bench.

Understand the logic TT, but we don't have the quality of McIntosh and Goldstein to take the same advantage. The closest we have is Maric, and hopefully he can at least dominate them as much as he did in the pre-season. IMO to include Gus would be to reduce our advantage in that area. We will need the legs on the bench if we are to compete with them for four quarters.

Understand the logic TT, but we don't have the quality of McIntosh and Goldstein to take the same advantage. The closest we have is Maric, and hopefully he can at least dominate them as much as he did in the pre-season. IMO to include Gus would be to reduce our advantage in that area. We will need the legs on the bench if we are to compete with them for four quarters.

Agree. Ty just has to regain form West and whatshisface arent exactly world beaters either.

I'd love the beat the smugness out of Geelong. They've earned the right to be cocky but it's still frustrating when they or their ex-players talk down about Richmond.

Agree. Ty just has to regain form West and whatshisface arent exactly world beaters either.

Agree, I'd be tempted to tell Ty to just run around with West, just to get some touch. Let Ivan do some centre square work, and then move forward, to really stretch them.

Didn't Geelong under Bomber develop this handball happy style of game plan? Only for Malthouse to develop the hardcore style press and make it completely obsolete?

Credit where credit is due to North for getting up and winning, but it was visible to everyone that Geelong simply weren't putting enough pressure on the opposition and ball carrier, Melbourne tried to handball there way out of there back50 near the wing numerous times only to have the ball turned over with lots of tackling and pressure.

Lets see how Norths gameplan holds up when a team truly puts them under pressure.

Agree, I'd be tempted to tell Ty to just run around with West, just to get some touch. Let Ivan do some centre square work, and then move forward, to really stretch them.

I cant see why you would play a bloke just so that he maybe could do this. He either warrants a game or not.

It is the vulnerability of the press, they have players spread out to cover a lot of space. If you have 3 to 4 players running and handballing the angles then with weight of numbers you can slice through a press before it collapses in on you.

It worked for us for about a quarter vs Collingwood, about a half vs Geelong and about 3/4s vs Hawthorn last year. It has been something we have worked on over the last few years but our players were too skinny, not fit enough and not skilled enough to pull it off, we have improved in these categories this year. Now we are in a position were we have to be able to sustain it week in and week out and also develop plan B for when it is not working or when the conditions do not allow you to handball a lot.
Being a union fan I've always wondered why someones never tried this. Also wondered why the hand off isn't a skill that's practiced a lot more, conversation for a different topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I think we should line up like this on Sunday:

B: Morris Rance Grimes
HB: Batchelor McGuane Newman
C: Deledio Martin Houli
HF: Grigg Miller Conca
F: Edwards Riewoldt Nahas
Foll: Maric Cotchin Foley
Int(from): Tuck, Webberely, Jackson, White,
Graham, Maric, Ellis

In: Webberley (carving it up at Coburg), White (has the speed, commitment, and hard body to open this game up for us, not to mention the form - albeit in the magoos), McGuane (personally, i think we need a third tall against Pods and Tomo and currently a better option that Post), Graham (if Vickery has been dropped, and Gus plays as well as I've seen the last 2 games, then it's not rocket science)
Out: Vickery (has had 3 horrible games, needs to be dropped to a) find form and b) be shown he is not an untouchable)

PS: I've given up on predicting to drop Jackson and Edwards as it is inevitable they will play. Edwards was quite good, not great, but good against Melbourne. And it seems Jackson was everywhere Grimes was - not that I'm 100% sure that was his role.

There's a few Geelong supporters down this way and they all seem to think this week will just be a walkover.

Geelong would want to make sure they are switched on this week or we will beat them. Watched the North game and they just thought they needed to turn up to win. This is the classic situation that all good teams fall into when they are on the slide. All of a sudden the hunger to win every single game starts to wane.

I actually think that if they were playing a top team this week they'd come out breathing fire. But I don't think they respect us (certainly Geelong supporters don't). There's a real chance they'll sit back and wait for things to happen. And if they do that, we'll win.

Maybe this is hedging my bets but it's a game that I think we'll lose but would not be surprised if we beat them. This week looms for them as a bit like our Rd 1 with all the hype about unfurling the flag and first game at KP for the year.

Trust me, no Geelong fan with a brain (there are a couple of us) think this will be a walkover. I strongly believe how we'll fare will depend largely on who plays in midfield for us. If Corey and Chapman do I think we're in trouble, they got slaughtered against North and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Both have lost pace and Corey's disposal is appalling right now.

The frustrating this is the younger guys are all showing good signs, and for the first time since hairy apes started walking upright we've got two key forwards capable of kicking goals. Question is can we get it to them enough.

Tough game, could go either way.

Didn't Geelong under Bomber develop this handball happy style of game plan? Only for Malthouse to develop the hardcore style press and make it completely obsolete?

Credit where credit is due to North for getting up and winning, but it was visible to everyone that Geelong simply weren't putting enough pressure on the opposition and ball carrier, Melbourne tried to handball there way out of there back50 near the wing numerous times only to have the ball turned over with lots of tackling and pressure.

Lets see how Norths gameplan holds up when a team truly puts them under pressure.
Geelong seemed to work in chains up the field with quite a few give and gets, North i noticed are running in groups at times making it a lot harder to stop when you've spread out in a press defense. But yeah the wheel is turning on the forward press just as we start to implement one.

We have been written of by every one so far and i have no doubt we will be rubbed out on the footy show and teams ... if enough people belive it dose it make it true ;)

game will be won by 3 goals either way :thumbsu::):thumbsu:

Trust me, no Geelong fan with a brain (there are a couple of us) think this will be a walkover. I strongly believe how we'll fare will depend largely on who plays in midfield for us. If Corey and Chapman do I think we're in trouble, they got slaughtered against North and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Both have lost pace and Corey's disposal is appalling right now.

The frustrating this is the younger guys are all showing good signs, and for the first time since hairy apes started walking upright we've got two key forwards capable of kicking goals. Question is can we get it to them enough.

Tough game, could go either way.

G'day partridge. Chappy has had an interesting start.cant put a finger on it.Im interested on your views regarding Corey though. You rightly pointed out disposal and it has seemed to me he has just lost that yard that blokes lose and in today's footy it's really caught up with him.He seems one of those blokes that it might go past very suddenly.
Would be a shame,great player.

Geelong seemed to work in chains up the field with quite a few give and gets, North i noticed are running in groups at times making it a lot harder to stop when you've spread out in a press defense. But yeah the wheel is turning on the forward press just as we start to implement one.

So the wheel is turning based off of one game with North beating Geelong?

I think Geelong got in trouble more from the short chip kicks than they were from the handballing. I think their handballing declined because they got older and slowed down more. Scott's major influence was for them to kick longer I believe with their kicking.

I don't think they had the run in the legs to continue playing like they did between 2007 and 2010 and their disposal average has seen a steady decline since 2010 where it was 424, dropping to 383 last year and is now down to 326 per game so far while their clearances, contested possessions and tackles have been relatively consistent so they seem to be still as effective at stoppages but are just not running as hard and generating uncontested disposals.

Our disposal average so far this year is 411, up some 17%, but it has had a big impact on our scoring, we have gone up from kicking 14.13 per game with 9 goal assists last year to 21.13 with 16 goal assists per game this year. The way we are moving it is involving our midfield a lot more in the scoring. Statistically our game vs GWS still has a big influence on our overall statistics, will need some more games to get a better gauge as to where we are at.

So the wheel is turning based off of one game with North beating Geelong?
Based on how different sides are finding ways to score against it. It's not the massive advantage it was in 2010 towards the back end of 2011 sides were adapting. Mick even dropped it for the grand final and played man on man. So no, not based off one game.

I need to keep plugging this!! You don't have to be a Tigers Supporter to come along and hear Tommy Hafey all supporters welcome :)

The Geelong Tigers Present an Evening with Tommy Hafey & Friends.

Friends include Dale Weightman, Dick Clay, Duncan Kellaway and Nick Daffy.

Sat 21st April
White Eagle House
Fellmongers Rd
Breakwater (Geelong Suburb)
Doors Open: 6:15pm
Show Starts at :7pm

COST: Geelong Tigers Member $30pp (includes supper)
General Public: $40pp (includes supper)

For all inquiries please contact Tamara on 0432359792 or email geelong@rfcsupportergroup.com

* 16 and over
* Tickets must be pre purchased

I think Geelong got in trouble more from the short chip kicks than they were from the handballing. I think their handballing declined because they got older and slowed down more. Scott's major influence was for them to kick longer I believe with their kicking.
Nope, it was definitely the handballing that found them out under extreme pressure. Just watch the 2010 prelim.

Just found out Training tomorrow at Simmonds Stadium is open for Richmond Supporters, if your in the Geelong area make sure you get down and support the boys! I'll be there :) All info will be on RFC website shortly

I don't think they had the run in the legs to continue playing like they did between 2007 and 2010 and their disposal average has seen a steady decline since 2010 where it was 424, dropping to 383 last year and is now down to 326 per game so far while their clearances, contested possessions and tackles have been relatively consistent so they seem to be still as effective at stoppages but are just not running as hard and generating uncontested disposals.

Our disposal average so far this year is 411, up some 17%, but it has had a big impact on our scoring, we have gone up from kicking 14.13 per game with 9 goal assists last year to 21.13 with 16 goal assists per game this year. The way we are moving it is involving our midfield a lot more in the scoring. Statistically our game vs GWS still has a big influence on our overall statistics, will need some more games to get a better gauge as to where we are at.

Like you alluded to, if you remove the GWS game your disposal average is 361.5 and your score average is 113.5 (97 last year), 3 goals more. Your average Goal Assist per game is 14 which is a noticeable improvement. Your handball average last year was 151.6 and this year is 176.5

I'm thinking match stats and averages will be completely scewed this season, so unless it's a noticeable improvement it's going to be so hard to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back