List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The threat of walking him to the PSD is not as significant as some might think

Anyone picking him up would have to match Port’s contract offer which quite frankly seems reckless and something other clubs would be likely to commit to
Norf and essendon are both desperate and loaded .

Free hit with salary only for rioli ?

People saying we’re a soft touch at the trade table: strikes me as a comment that you could read on most boards, most years.

When was the last time we lost a player we truly desperately wanted to keep?

Lycett? Desperate to keep him, wouldn’t think so. Handy enough but was hardly priority one of that offseason.

Selwood? Well respected but missed two years with an ankle, before heading home as a free agent.

Ebert? I think some/most fans wanted to keep him but the club barely played him, never played him in position and he was going home.

Judd’s the obvious one, and fair to say we got our return on that.

Fair chance this is the first player who has wanted out that the club showed active interest in retaining since Judd. Let’s see how they go.

We are soft at the trade table Badger. History would dictate it. It's not just about players leaving but who we bring in. Very rarely do we dig our heels in and try and get the best deal possible. So often we accommodate the other teams requests and the deals are done within the first few days.

Case in point the Tim Kelly trade. I think we gave one second rounder too many in that deal, but we come out in the media before trade week and say we will have to pay a hefty price and then on day one, first deal it's done. The highest profile player to be traded in that period and it's done immediately.

How often does that happen? I truly believe if we had let the week carry on eventually Geelong would have accepted a more than fair offer for TK and we would have had an extra 2nd rounder.

I would also point out that i am not advocating trying to screw clubs over but i implore us not be so quick to get a deal done and be preapred to deal with multi day negotiations.

If further examples are needed we gave our first and second rounder for Tyson Stenglein, a first round pick for Chick, first round pick for Wellingham, First round pick for Redden, our better second rounder for Yeo.....etc

All of those deals done rather quickly i might add. I think most of us just want to see a little more resolve from the club when it comes to pushing for the best deal possible. It won't always feel like a win regardless but at least we will be perceived to have fought as hard as we could for the best outcome and clubs like Port won't feel they can just serve us whatever shit sandwich they want us to eat.

Last edited:

This board never ceases to amaze me.

"We need to trade ALL our senior players to get the best draft hand available!!"

Rioli decided to go to Port - "**** him!!! Let North take him for nothing!!!"

Come on guys. Yes, it's disappointing but many of you campaigners actively push for Darling/McGovern to be traded, yet get your knickers in a twist when it's apparent Rioli is leaving.

Yes we stood by him for 2 years but it's not like we'd have paid him much money at all during that time.

This is likely his final contract, if it's significantly more than what WCE/Richmond are offering, then it's no wonder he wants to take it. Who wouldn't?

You demand loyalty, yet the club only retained him because of his talent, not because they were 'loyal' to him. If he was a fringe player, he'd have been long-gone.

I don't care about keeping this a thinly veiled secret anymore.

Rioli is dumb as dog shit. IQ/Intelligence bordering on the line of ending up at a special needs rather than a normal school. Richmond came chasing, WCE upped the offer to match the years but with the contract stipulations.

Rioli's father passed away and in agreement we put off contract negotiations.

Port put through an offer to Rioli's manager during this time and he will be pushed by his manager to take it.

I hope he's got a good financial planner otherwise he will end up dead broke and where he started within a few years of retirement.

Don't mind if he goes if we get ports future second, I think it's slight unders but a fair enough deal.

(now onto me being a very ****ing unhappy supporter)

It is a ****ing dog act by a combination of Rioli, Port and in particular his manager. Happy to relist Nelson as a rookie just to run straight through the stupid prick. Repeatedly if the first Head high bump doesn't get it done.

If a suitable trade can't be sought happy to do something dodgy with north like alleviating their salary cap, walking rioli to the draft/PSD and North doing us a favour pick wise. Club is still on good terms with Rawlings.

I can understand why he wants to leave the way we are going he wont see a final in the time he has left. We have to trade out further players of high profile to start building a team for 2025 no earlier. Now we have Nic contracted lets trade him, i think a top eight team would grab him for a few years. He may get the elusive GF win.

This board never ceases to amaze me.

"We need to trade ALL our senior players to get the best draft hand available!!"

Rioli decided to go to Port - "* him!!! Let North take him for nothing!!!"

Come on guys. Yes, it's disappointing but many of you campaigners actively push for Darling/McGovern to be traded, yet get your knickers in a twist when it's apparent Rioli is leaving.

Yes we stood by him for 2 years but it's not like we'd have paid him much money at all during that time.

This is likely his final contract, if it's significantly more than what WCE/Richmond are offering, then it's no wonder he wants to take it. Who wouldn't?

You demand loyalty, yet the club only retained him because of his talent, not because they were 'loyal' to him. If he was a fringe player, he'd have been long-gone.

We would prefer to keep him, but if he's leaving then we shouldn't just roll over and accept a third/future third.

That's most people's position on the matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would prefer to keep him, but if he's leaving then we shouldn't just roll over and accept a third/future third.

That's most people's position on the matter
Sure we shouldn't.

People are getting worked up over what random posters on the internet are proposing on their team's board. The hysterics are bizarre.

Wait until trade week to get worked up, at the very least.

Given that North have already expressed interest in him, the chances of him making it to Port via the PSD are slim.

If Port want to be kents ( as I expect they will be ....... the Club does has form ) with lowball offers and shafting us, I would have no problem if the Club decided, to cut its losses and to walk him to North and get nothing for him.

We stood by him and this is the thanks we get ........ with such an attitude we are better off with out him, to be honest.

He isn't going to be a part of our next Premiership window, so as sorry as I am to see the talent leave, his ungrateful attitude not so much.

But would North offer the money with 4 years? That would be the sticking point. Rioli can set his terms. Right?

The reason multiple clubs want Rioli is in spite of his off field idiocy he is clearly the most skilful player on our list with a tremendous upside.

He was close to best afield twice this year- and we won both games.

If he wants to go then there's nothing to be done about it but I hope the club is making a serious go at keeping him.

West Coast forward Junior Rioli declared happiness, stability and the opportunity to set himself up for life were driving his decisions as he prepares to request a trade to Port Adelaide.

The out of contract Rioli met the Power on Monday and while he has yet to make a trade request, it appears a matter of time before he leaves the Eagles.
“Hopefully. We’ll see how we go. I’ll see if my manager can look after me and work out a good thing,” Rioli told Channel 9.
“If I can set myself up for the rest of my life.

“I’ve been through too much in the last 18 months. I want to make the most of being in the industry I am now.”

Rioli said he had been discussing his future with his father before he recently passed away.

The premiership forward has been through a tumultuous three years after being banned for two years after twice substituting urine during drug tests.

He was later caught with marijuana while attempting to board a plane in Darwin and received a 12-month good behaviour bond.

Junior Rioli met with Port Adelaide on Monday. Credit: Morgan Hancock/via AFL Photos
He returned to the AFL this season and kicked 14 goals from 13 games. But he is now on the verge of taking his young family back to SA after he was drafted from SANFL club Glenelg.

Rioli said being happy again was one of his primary goals.

“To play your best footy, you’ve got to be comfortable,” Rioli said.

“I learnt that when I wasn’t playing footy. I was playing good footy but I wasn’t comfortable.

Junior Rioli is seeking more stability with his life. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images
“I wasn’t stable. If I can be stable, I know I’ll get the best out of my footy.”

Rioli isn’t a free agent and Port Adelaide will have to reach a trade agreement with West Coast to complete a deal. The Power currently have picks 8, 52 and 56. West Coast have not returned calls.

“I think they understand that I’m exploring my options. I haven’t made the decision to leave yet. I’m just exploring options at the moment,” he said.

“I just want it to all blow over real quick you know and we’ll get to a decision whenever we get to a decision.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back