AFL Toast Rnd 11: 16 Point win against West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing, so much damn heart. That’s the key, we’ve had talent for years but lacked attitude and application. The 2021 team is just fun to watch and I can get onboard because they give a shit. It’s a bit like 2016 with more talent.

Perkins building every week, his evasion is unreal.

Cox, call him big ‘orra cos I’m losfer words

Phillips, some very nice things. Decidedly not shit which is something (still scarred from Z Clarke)

Laverde was huge, esp late

DP3 stud

Zach, surely not going anywhere and if he does he’ll regret it

Harry, mate, we’re unaccustomed to second efforts from key forwards, don’t break my heart

Hooksy, you are everything and what I hope my boys aspire to be

Heppell, proper leader

String, gun

Hind, why the **** did we let him end up at the aints?

Everyone else, I ****in love yas

they're starting to look like a classical Essendon team again!!
Also, players who will return at some point!

Essendon injury list
NameInjuryEstimated Return
Kaine BaldwinKneeIndefinite
Jye CaldwellHamstring10-12 weeks
Dylan ClarkeAnkleTBC
Tom CutlerCalf2-3 weeks
Sam DraperSyndesmosis2-3 weeks
Josh EyreConcussionTest
Michael HurleyHip InfectionIndefinite
Zach ReidIllness1-2 weeks
Irving MosquitoKneeIndefinite
Dylan ShielKnee6-8 weeks
Jake StringerHamstring1-2 weeks
Devon SmithHamstring3-4 weeks

That is what you want to see. Down and out and interstate against a side we rarely beat at home and they get up of the ground and bring home the bacon. :cool:

thats a hell of a win. Add that to the highlights reel of great wins and something to watch again in a few years.

Apart from 10 minutes in the second we looked the better side but somehow the ball was rolling for them until the last.

Is that really you, Kelvin?

Francis, Wright, Draper, Shiel, Caldwell, Smith, Hurley all names missing who are Or have been probably viewed as best 22.

Francis, Shiel and Draper the obvious ins for zerk, Zaka and Phillips.

But other than that there's a little bit of depth there. From next year hopefully with another preseason into players and another draft and decent injury run we are going to have some decent competition.
Love to have Draper back but you have to feel for Phillips. He was immense tonight

I reckon right about now all of our coaches would be competing to see who can claim the decision to move Laverde back. Because he was just incredible today. That last quarter those intercept marks were absolutely huge.

Also Phillips who got dominated in the ruck - his work around the ground was very nice. Some of his disposal was beautiful.

Perkins I thought was huge in this game. Some of his moves in heavy traffic. Geez he's evasive when he gets a bit of space.

Tippa's skills were out of this world. What a privlege it is to have him as part of our team.

Many other players were terrific too but I thought I'd just mention these few.

Glad you mentioned Phillips. Will never be a great ruckman or even a very good ruckman, but gee he always competes and runs all day. Second, third and fourth efforts.

At the game tonight. Great win. Plenty noise from the Bombers fans there too!
Our young kids are good!
Go Bombers!
I was listening to the game on ABC radio and the noise was so loud every time we kicked a goal. I’m used to hearing silence for goals or Bronx cheers for points when opposition sides play interstate.
Well done W.A bomber fans!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles are soft, unaccountable crabs.

AFL app credits Merrett with 4 contested possessions out of 37, which is not a criticism of him because he was certainly in the contest, more so that they refused to get anywhere near him

That is what you want to see. Down and out and interstate against a side we rarely beat at home and they get up of the ground and bring home the bacon. :cool:

So much this. Been a while since we've that grit.

Love to have Draper back but you have to feel for Phillips. He was immense tonight

There is definitely room for both in the side. We can fit 2 of Draper, 2mp, Phillips and Bryan. With Draper returning from injury time up forward will be a good way to return with a bye following to recover from first game soreness.

If Harry gets on his bike and Stringer keeps taking centre bounces then we can play hooker deep and let our second ruckman play that space between Hooker, Stringer and Tippa and Harry who pushes far up the wings. Perkins going with the 2nd ruck helps him move a step closer to his decade of midfield DOMINANCE.

I'm going to get absolutely shot down for this but I'm going to say it anyway...
I'm really happy we won but at the same time .. I kind of wish we didn't. We 're on track to finish 9-12th. Imagine if we finished bottom 5-6. This draft is going to be really good and we picked up another gun who will be best 22 like cox and perkins.
It was a great win but in the grand scheme of things i would of rather we lost the game. These wins could cost us the next Judd.

I'm not normally a replay guy, but that was well worth the replay :)
Kelly was very good for them early.

What was really noticeable was guys at least looking to block for each other, lat shepherds, or run hard to provide an extra option rather than just run alongside. Lots of smart taps, clean hands (Redman in particular had some great pickups) and an intent to do something attacking and dangerous with ball in hand. Very promising signs

To come from 29 points down away from home against a great team shows enormous character. The essendon of old would've capitulated but in the space of one off-season, it looks like the club has completely shifted it's mentality which has been so poor for so long. We were also down by the same margin twice against GWS and fought back to nearly win. It's so exciting to see a hungry group of lads giving everything for the guernsey. For the first time in ages, things look so promising

I'm going to get absolutely shot down for this but I'm going to say it anyway...
I'm really happy we won but at the same time .. I kind of wish we didn't. We 're on track to finish 9-12th. Imagine if we finished bottom 5-6. This draft is going to be really good and we picked up another gun who will be best 22 like cox and perkins.
It was a great win but in the grand scheme of things i would of rather we lost the game. These wins could cost us the next Judd.
If we had won by a goal and we had been the team with the crazy conversion rate, I would be 100% on board. But we matched them all game, so it's not a flunky win (albeit Kelly's injury obviously helped).

The main reason to root for a tank is the idea of getting two top 5 picks, but assuming Merrett re-signs with Essendon, then it's not as alluring. There's always A grade talent left at pick 10, the recruiter just has to find it. And, I don't think this has been pointed out much, but with Langford, Parish, Laverde and Francis all playing and playing their roles at a very acceptable level, everything @ Essendon changes a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Rnd 11: 16 Point win against West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back