AFL Autopsy RND 4: Dons Demolished

Remove this Banner Ad

in a weird sense i kind of liked this performance. we were full of running and pressure early and coaxed port into belting us.

that, in a way, is a lot more satisfying than a low tempo low physicality game that we just hang around in.

think we lack a forward line. no stars in the midfield outside of zach (probably archie in the next 10-20games).

focus needs to be building a front six that compliment eachother and can put the heat on defensively.

I challenge anyone to name 3 players on the field for us tonight with elite speed.
We are a team full of plodders and when skills or pressure let us down we cant match on the rebound.
The challenge is we are trying to solve so many deficiencies at once. We need faster players, we need better skills, we need better defensive efforts and pressure, we need more competitiveness, we need better contested marking.

You only really get a shot at players with multiple elite attributes like those in the first round and you only get a single pick in most years so it takes a very long time.

in a weird sense i kind of liked this performance. we were full of running and pressure early and coaxed port into belting us.

that, in a way, is a lot more satisfying than a low tempo low physicality game that we just hang around in.
Spock Encerio GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say its the same stuff with this group - against the big clubs/games & adversity(interstate away games) we are soft, weak & unskillful.

For 24 years under pressure the same outcomes happen - we might get excited when it happens every now & then & we win by a a couple of goals.

The midfielders in particular need to work so much harder both ways - some of our players, play like they are still playing juniors and just dont wabnt to work both ways

It was weak as piss after qtr time

Very, very easy to play against, the majority of the time. Little to no fear factor. Was concerned about the general direction when Heppel was re-signed, even more now that he's in every week.

There are no positives to that game. None. Zero.

Need to burn the entire list and start again post Dodo. We have no speed, no skills, no grunt, no winners.

And why we need another 8 year rebuild.. other clubs take 2 years and we take four times that and still get nowhere?? This club is so beyond salvageable at this point. It isn't the loss (we are going to have plenty this year).. it is the way we lose. It has been the same for a decade. How many times do we talk about boys vs men? How many times do we get trounced in the middle? How many times do we put in half ass tackling efforts?

Same shit, different year.

I stopped clapping after the first qtr
But port did play in finals last season. They have the cattle. Im glad they won last week as they needed it but they travelled with their b game tonight.
It don’t matter which coach you bring in and I do think brad is good for the club it’s some players that are just not the right fit.
the performance coach is in for a tough season/s. 8(0) years. 🤣
Onto next week.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what Scott has to say.

Hopefully we can get a bit older next week, that should do the trick I think.

The likes of Kelly, Heppell and Goldy too mature for your Butters/JHF/Rozee types tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 4: Dons Demolished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back