Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sunday April 21st 1.10PM @ Marvel - Final Team - Post #854

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely have to be tuned in. No first quarter blowouts and then catch up footy to win the second and third qtr. Lets win the ******* game from the first and continue on. Thats what we have to learn to do. Lead and win.

Yep against gc we were 18 points up in the third, had the momentum and they were down a rotation.

Really shouldn't have lost from there.

To say his kicking has improved is a fact.

To say his kicking remains well below the basic standard required for AFL is also a fact.
Agree he has definitely improved his kicking his field kicking also this year has been much improved imo also but not sure I agree with you in fact I don't regarding AFL standard .
Goalkicking across the competition has been deplorable for many years in particular set shot kicking .
Seems players are much better from tight angles and almost impossible positions but put them dead in front from 30 and they spray them everywhere .
Its possibly been more decision making when up field that has been his downfall .

If they dominate the midfield their small fwds will run around our tall defence like witches hats.
If we dominate the midfield our tall fwds will outmark their small defenders like witches hats.
Team with least amount of witches hats wins.

Unfortunately our midfield has shown it's not ready to dominate yet, at least not for a whole game.

Lack of midfield run has been a big reason for our crappy quarters every game.

My only question is this: he’s CLEARLY gotten himself much much fitter this year. Where’s that been?
Think you may be able to ask the same question of a lot of the players Ed Curnow a midfielder is on record as saying he's the fittest he's ever been at what 29 yrs old ?
Probably more to do with an adequate fitness boss on board now than anything a player might or might not have been doing .

Unfortunately our midfield has shown it's not ready to dominate yet, at least not for a whole game.

Lack of midfield run has been a big reason for our crappy quarters every game.
I agree. And the problem really is in the unrealistic supporter expectation that our midfield can dominate yet.
Won't be long though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are times when the dark side comes in....and then I think it would be ok if Carlton always came last because thats all some supporters deserve. I dont really mean that but geez.....sometimes

Because we need speed in the forward line for structure purposes. E

It's just sad that gibbons and polson is the best we have right now.
It won’t be that way for long in my view. For a start Cunners is Bette than both by a week. When Setters and Stocker are fit it will force Fish to stay forward.

I see the forward 7 at year end as:

CC McKay MCG Cunners Fish Jack Setters

It won’t be that way for long in my view. For a start Cunners is Bette than both by a week. When Setters and Stocker are fit it will force Fish to stay forward.

I see the forward 7 at year end as:

CC McKay MCG Cunners Fish Jack Setters
That's what I think too - out of all the mids we've tried to convert into small forwards Fish looks like the only genuine option at this stage but at the moment is required more in the midfield

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My only question is this: he’s CLEARLY gotten himself much much fitter this year. Where’s that been?
That’s definitely a fair point and question Windows1, even if my claim was not that Cas is a Walsh-like consummate professional, merely that he deserves our respect for the service he’s given us over the years.

Anyway, I’m speculating obviously, but I think that two factors could be at play with Cas’s improved fitness this year. The first is Andrew Russell, who I believe has already made a big difference to the fitness and physical readiness of the players, as the comments by Weiters this week attest (where he credits Russell as the major reason behind his upturn in confidence and form in 2019). The second factor l’d flag is simply human nature, mixed with an improving list that ensures that the competition for spots has intensified. In other words, I think that Russell has helped to raise our fitness standards, while our list has served to increase the competition for spots, and these two things combined might have taken Cas (and others hopefully) to the next level, fitness-wise. Sadly for him, however, but necessarily for the club, I don’t think that any increase in Cas’s fitness will save his place on our list - as harsh as this sounds, imo he will simply be surplus to requirements when his current contract expires.

I know it’s possible to criticise Cas for needing these shots in the arm (in the metaphorical - not * - sense) to improve his fitness, but all of our list can only work with the coaches and support staff that they’re given, and re the impact of intensified competition for spots in the team, imo it’s part of the psychological makeup of many players, across all sports. For instance, in soccer, many astute managers (like Rafa Benitez, for one) insist on the need for 2 or more viable players for every position, not only or even mainly to provide cover for injury or form slumps, but to drive the players on to raise their levels of professionalism and performance. In Rafa’s view, players can genuinely believe that they’re giving 100% when squad limitations are potentially gifting them games, but when the competition for spots in the starting line-up intensifies, in many cases these players will actually “magically” find a bit more (the mythical 110% that the mathematically challenged often speak of in sports circles). It’s possible that Cas is one such player on our list, but no doubt we have more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back