Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sunday April 21st 1.10PM @ Marvel - Final Team - Post #854

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult to spot a clear result....against dogs
We are a rough outside chance for a few reasons..

I have been critical of Bolton selling hope and charm..its all looked a little soft[for a long time now]...However it seems Boltons reigeim is based on sustainability not busting the teams guts for a couple of wins only to collapse.i can see that.

Our VFL 22 has also improved and winning games in 2019.....that is a necessary good sign also

So we have our AFL list slowly but surely gaining power...coming from 2018 we are still a bit shallow and weak...

The rebuild has been expensive looking back at 2018.. we lost Gibbs and didnt gain Sheil...............really cruel for the CFC to again go that low

The list is good[still weak though] ,its well balanced and has a lot of potential,no doubt there...

If absolutely nothing good is allowed to leave and we keep recruiting as we have the past few yrs.....it will be ok

JUST?

Last edited:
20 years?
1999 we made the GF (knocking off the Dopers).
2000 we finished the home & away season in 2nd place.
2001 we finished 5th, beating both of the eventual grand finalists along the way (smashed the Lions by 12 goals)
2002-2008 not good
2009-2011 finals, including beating the Dopers in the EF & losing to the Eagles by less than a kick at Subiaco
2012 in the running for finals for much of the season, but ultimately finished 10th in a season ravaged by injuries (including a doped up Lonergan destroying Carrots' shoulder)
2013 finals, including a win over the Tiggies in the EF
2014-2018 not good

I've seen reference made to 20 years of being awful a number of times on here, but that is just hyperbole.

This is the 20th season since 2000 - not sure why you would throw in an extra year to 1999 - except hyperbole.

We have not finished in the top four in over two decades - that alone is AWFUL. That is seriously bad.

However, to have finished last half a dozen times is seriously awful, not hyperbole - last 5 times in twenty years is appalling.

You know whats even worse - we have finished in the bottom four more than 50% of the time. THAT under any measure is absolutely appalling.

Its astonishing the levels of delusion some supporters will go through - no doubt there are dooms-dayers out there - but seriously....our performance over the last two decades has been the worst performance of any club in history - not hyperbole - stone cold fact.

Just .... wow.

Difficult to spot a clear result....against dogs
We are a rough outside chance for a few reasons..

I have been critical of Bolton selling hope and charm..its all looked a little soft[for a long time now]...However it seems Boltons reigeim is based on sustainability not busting the teams guts for a couple of wins only to collapse.i can see that.

Our VFL 22 has also improved and winning games in 2019.....that is a necessary good sign also

So we have our AFL list slowly but surely gaining power...coming from 2018 we are still a bit shallow and weak...

The rebuild has been expensive looking back at 2018.. we lost Gibbs and didnt gain Sheil...............really cruel for the CFC to again go that low

The list is good[still weak though] ,its well balanced and has a lot of potential,no doubt there...

If absolutely nothing good is allowed to leave and we keep recruiting as we have the past few yrs.....it will be ok

Agree with all of this - I would love to see Setters step up - could make a big difference. Williamson, Picket, will also add something in my view. Plenty of upside in Stocker, the Silvagnis and LOB - maybe even Kerr - but doubt Kerr. TDK will be our next ruck.

Genuinely think we will land a decent fish at the end of this year, then look to another ruck and mids / forwards.

We have in my view the best defense and forwards in the league - build our mids and we are there.

The only question remains Bolton.

He has been excellent at development as you have said - if he wins 5 games this year that is enough for me - but I very much doubt it will be enough for the club.

He is under serious scrutiny.

Cordy @ 193 takes McKay?
Wood @ 187 takes McGovern?
CCurnow? Naughton goes back or maybe Trengove is a late inclusion.

If Naughton goes back, they're tallest forward will be.....Dunkley @ 190cm?
We have Jones @ 199, Weitering @ 196, Marchbank @ 193 and Plowman @ 193 :)

I know it's not all about height, but that makes for a very interesting differential and possible match-ups.

All we Need is Mitch Robinson to be selected.

Bomb it long.

Games ours!!

This is the 20th season since 2000 - not sure why you would throw in an extra year to 1999 - except hyperbole.

We have not finished in the top four in over two decades - that alone is AWFUL. That is seriously bad.

However, to have finished last half a dozen times is seriously awful, not hyperbole - last 5 times in twenty years is appalling.

You know whats even worse - we have finished in the bottom four more than 50% of the time. THAT under any measure is absolutely appalling.

Its astonishing the levels of delusion some supporters will go through - no doubt there are dooms-dayers out there - but seriously....our performance over the last two decades has been the worst performance of any club in history - not hyperbole - stone cold fact.

Just .... wow.
Some bad things happened a while back and rot set in....club seems to be undermined by negativity. no real interest in focussing on an elite program as the main clubs have
really living in the past,along with a genuine demise in power and resources available and things have been remarkably stunted
what is happening now BOLTON/SOS is not guarantee of success
It suggests a permanent shift towards serious recruitment and long term sustainable program....

The group of 2019 does have some serious grunt and the performance graph is improving,they as a group alone will want at least some marginal success this year....Russell basal fitness input may start to show mid season

Last edited:
Some bad things happened a while back and rot set in....club seems to be undermined by negativity. no real interest in focussing on an elite program as the main clubs have
really living in the past,along with a genuine demise in power and resources available and things have been remarkably stunted

Yeah - no kidding. Reasons.

The issue is whether or not we have been AWFUL - and we have. "Why", is beside the point.

Just .... wow
This current 3-36 run or whatever it is is the the worst in the clubs history dating to back to the 1800s. 3 spoons in 5 years would match the salary cap saga of the early 2000s.

if the alarm bells aren't ringing after reading that sentence then that's the problem in itself.

Agree with all of this - I would love to see Setters step up - could make a big difference. Williamson, Picket, will also add something in my view. Plenty of upside in Stocker, the Silvagnis and LOB - maybe even Kerr - but doubt Kerr. TDK will be our next ruck.

Genuinely think we will land a decent fish at the end of this year, then look to another ruck and mids / forwards.

We have in my view the best defense and forwards in the league - build our mids and we are there.

The only question remains Bolton.

He has been excellent at development as you have said - if he wins 5 games this year that is enough for me - but I very much doubt it will be enough for the club.

He is under serious scrutiny.

what is happening now BOLTON/SOS is not guarantee of success
It suggests a permanent shift towards serious recruitment and long term sustainable program....

The group of 2019 does have some serious grunt and the performance graph is improving,they as a group alone will want at least some marginal success this year....Russell basal fitness input may start to show mid season

This current 3-36 run or whatever it is is the the worst in the clubs history dating to back to the 1800s. 3 spoons in 5 years would match the salary cap saga of the early 2000s.

if the alarm bells aren't ringing after reading that sentence then that's the problem in itself.

Not the thread for it.

Back on topic thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok time for us to get serious here. The Bulldogs are very average. Very average. Nothing to be afraid of. Their key position stocks are so bad they have to have 2-3 extra back all the time to cover. Go for it Dogs. We will zone up behind the ball, put pressure on you and Jacob Weitering will Mark every exit. They have two players that can hurt us. TWO. Bont + Macrae.

TAG THEM. Game over. Sick of this rubbish. “We are an outside chance”? Rubbish. They are bog ordinary the dogs. Bog ordinary.

Jack to Bont
Ed to Macrae

Carlton to win.

Comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?

20 years covers completed seasons from 1999-2018 (I'm happy to take it from 2000 if it suits your agenda better), but given you didn't comprehend my post I will spell it out for you. We have not been the "butt of jokes for 20 years", as stated by the poster I was responding to. There have been significant periods since 2002 when we rightfully should have been, but during the period 2009-2013 there was no reason why we would have been. More accurately Ninthmond was the butt of many jokes prior to their 2017 premiership & Melbourne, during their horrific era of no finals appearances from 2007-2017 were also fair game during this time, not to mention the Saints for their failure to crack a premiership since 1966.

I find it interesting that certain Carlton supporting posters seem to feel the need to proclaim that we have been the butt of jokes for (x) number of years or other negative statements because apparently the rest of us need to be reminded that we have had a long period of time without the ultimate success.

Many of us choose not to listen to the external noise because it will only do your head in. You should give it a try.

Just .... wow.
Clearly you aren't aware of Hawthorn's 6 wooden spoons & 6 second bottom placings in the 2 decades from 1925-1944. They also finished 3rd bottom on 4 occasions & did not participate in any finals series during this period. They also only recorded 78 wins over these 2 decades whereas over the last 2 decades we have won 166 games. Now these are stone cold facts.

I'm happy to do similar exercises for North Melbourne, St Kilda, South Melbourne, even Fitzroy if you so desire.

Righto I’m pretty fired up about tomorrow. First game living in Melbourne for several years and I’m taking my oldest boy with me. He’s beside himself with excitement to see “Big Patrick, Charlie, Jack, Samo, and young Sam” - that’s the recital he’s been working through since I told him we were going.

If last week really stung we’ll see it in the first quarter. I’m oddly optimistic and desperate to see a win with the little man.

Clearly you aren't aware of Hawthorn's 6 wooden spoons & 6 second bottom placings in the 2 decades from 1925-1944. They also finished 3rd bottom on 4 occasions & did not participate in any finals series during this period. They also only recorded 78 wins over these 2 decades whereas over the last 2 decades we have won 166 games. Now these are stone cold facts.

I'm happy to do similar exercises for North Melbourne, St Kilda, South Melbourne, even Fitzroy if you so desire.
St Kilda, how many wooden spoons..they have the worst history imo

Comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?

20 years covers completed seasons from 1999-2018 (I'm happy to take it from 2000 if it suits your agenda better), but given you didn't comprehend my post I will spell it out for you. We have not been the "butt of jokes for 20 years", as stated by the poster I was responding to. There have been significant periods since 2002 when we rightfully should have been, but during the period 2009-2013 there was no reason why we would have been. More accurately Premiershipmond was the butt of many jokes prior to their 2017 premiership & Melbourne, during their horrific era of no finals appearances from 2007-2017 were also fair game during this time, not to mention the Saints for their failure to crack a premiership since 1966.

I find it interesting that certain Carlton supporting posters seem to feel the need to proclaim that we have been the butt of jokes for (x) number of years or other negative statements because apparently the rest of us need to be reminded that we have had a long period of time without the ultimate success.

Many of us choose not to listen to the external noise because it will only do your head in. You should give it a try.
They’ve forgotten the fact that we still have the equal most premierships in the history of the game not just the last 20 years, if there soft enough to be embarrassed by 20 years god help them if they barracked for most of the other clubs, which in truth maybe they should.

Righto I’m pretty fired up about tomorrow. First game living in Melbourne for several years and I’m taking my oldest boy with me. He’s beside himself with excitement to see “Big Patrick, Charlie, Jack, Samo, and young Sam” - that’s the recital he’s been working through since I told him we were going.

If last week really stung we’ll see it in the first quarter. I’m oddly optimistic and desperate to see a win with the little man.
Good lucky beasty

Yeah - no kidding. Reasons.

The issue is whether or not we have been AWFUL - and we have. "Why", is beside the point.

You have officially become boring, as soon as you stated the last 20 years.

Still waiting for the article/footage of where Bolton and or Judd have stated wins are an indicator of progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back